What to do in Newark Airport 6+ hours

Old May 24, 07, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO,AA,Hilton
What to do in Newark Airport 6+ hours

We have 6 + hours connection time in Newark, we get in at 1.26 AM and our flight is 8.25 AM are there any bars or resturant in the airport open at that time? Any suggestion on what we can do to pass (sleep) the time? We're going IAH - SXM June 7th-8th

TIA
Old May 24, 07, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Tough question. I believe everything in EWR is closed (others will comment). I think you've got three choices:
1. Check into the AIrport Marriot and get some sleep,
2. Stretch out on the floor in a boarding area or slump in a seat.
3. Head into New York. If you're plane is on time, you'll be in Manhattan by cab not much after 2:00am. Go to a bar in Soho, Tribeca, or the Village. They're open until 4:00am. Then head for a 24 hour restaurant for a bite before taking a train back to EWR from Pennsylvania Station between 6:00 and 7:00. There are trains about every 20 minutes and you'll be back at the terminal about 30 minutes after leaving Penn Station including the air train time. There's a PDF timetable on the CO website at https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...03airtrain.pdf. Some 24 hour restaurant possibilities are Florent in the Meat Packing District where there are also a lot of trendy bars, Empire Diner on 10th Avenue at 22nd Street, Brasserie Maison in the Theater District/Times Square, French Roast 11th Street.
Old May 24, 07, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
I think #3 is the way to go
Old May 24, 07, 3:30 pm

I concur with #3
Old May 24, 07, 4:25 pm

Programs: Onepass
At that hour your out of options, Commuter trains (NJ Transit, LIRR, Metro North) are not 24 hrs, the last trains operating are usually 1AM-2:30 AM however these are outbound not inbound to the City.

I would look for a nearby hotel , EWR has a great selection of airport hotels, and get some sleep.

There's nothing else to do at that hour, your not going to get into the City on public transportation. And once there unless you have a favorite club you can get your name on a list of in the Meat Packing district why on earth would you go into the City at that hour, people wondering the streets at that hour are usually looking for trouble. This coming from a person who spent much of his late teens-early 20s hanging around Manhattan from club to club at that hour.

Limelight, Club USA, NASA etc..
Old May 24, 07, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
craigslist ----> casual encounters ----> erotic services ----> newark
Old May 24, 07, 6:54 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Bring a razor blade to slit your wrists...6 hours in EWR is that painful.

Seriously though, the other suggestion of living it up in NYC (option #3) is the way to go at that time of the day. Just I wouldn't linger past 6AM in NYC to avoid any EWR checkin or NJTransit delays.
Old May 24, 07, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Newark airport has some cheap hotels in the vicinity -- whether paying cash or using points. (Just make sure the hotel shuttle buses are running at the times ou need them.)
Old May 24, 07, 7:09 pm

I will be arriving into Newark at 6:30pm on United and depart at 11pm on Singapore Airlines. I believe that Singapore leaves from the B terminal at Newark. Is it possible to go to Gallagher's Steakhouse in the C terminal with our Singapore boarding passes? We dont have enough time to leave the airport and want a great steak dinner before the long flight to Singapore. Thanks!
Old May 24, 07, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by AndrewNewOrleans View Post
I will be arriving into Newark at 6:30pm on United and depart at 11pm on Singapore Airlines. I believe that Singapore leaves from the B terminal at Newark. Is it possible to go to Gallagher's Steakhouse in the C terminal with our Singapore boarding passes? We dont have enough time to leave the airport and want a great steak dinner before the long flight to Singapore. Thanks!
xyzzy in 5...4...3...2....
Old May 24, 07, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO View Post
What's that supposed to mean
Old May 24, 07, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No. You can't get in to terminal C with the SQ boarding pass

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO View Post
What's that supposed to mean
Xyzzy HATES Gallaghers. Hate may not be a strong enough word for it. The food sucks, the service sucks and Xyzzy can't vent enough about how much he hates it. It is actually amusing to read his rants about it (all of them justified, btw).

I'm sure he'll be along shortly to add his thoughts on the topic in a more eloquent form.
Old May 24, 07, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
No. You can't get in to terminal C with the SQ boarding pass
But feel free to purchase a refundable ticket to anywhere CO flies (from terminal C -- so not Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas and a few others). I know one-way refundable Y fares EWR-FLL/PBI are about $300. There are probably some cheaper ones, but it doesn't really matter unless you have limits on your credit availability.

Check in, go through security, and then call and ask for a refund.
Old May 24, 07, 7:48 pm

I think this idea is the best one yet!
Old May 24, 07, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Hi, all -- Sorry I couldn't respond earlier. I was eating another wonderful meal prepared by the fabulous Mrs. Xyzzy. Yes -- in a word Gallagher's SUCKS. What else can I say that hasn't been said? The service? There really wasn't any. I've had better service at McDonald's. The food? A cold, overcooked slab of meat on a plate (yes, they overcooked it and then let it get cold -- and the restaurant was empty). It was definitely not worth anywhere near what they were asking for it. Besides, if you're departing from EWR-B they will almost certainly not let you into EWR-C to eat there. Thus, your wallet and your stomach will be saved from what Gallagher's at EWR serves up.

I see you have six hours. That is plenty of time to venture forth to Newark or even Manhattan for a fine meal. There are myriad opportunities for fine dining in your allotted time frame. Please, pay not another moment's attention to Gallagher's.

For steak in Newark I would suggest one of the following restaurants. All are either Spanish or Portuguese. All are good. There are plenty of others. All can be reached easily from EWR. Either take a taxi (~$15 or so each way from the airport) or a bus (Get the #62 bus from the terminal to Newark Penn Station and then walk a few blocks).
  • Don Pepe - A decent Spanish place. Not cheap, but good food and good service. Order the Costilla de Lomo. Your steak will be far too big to finish.
  • Tapajos River Steakhouse - A hole in the wall with great food. VERY inexpensive.
  • Spanish Tavern - Another good choice
  • Iberia Peninsula - One of my favorites. Great Spanish food.
I'm sure others will have comments and additions to the list. Just let us know and we can be of assistance!

Methinks we need to add this info to the FAQ

[EDITED TO ADD -- Okay -- I goofed up on the times. 4.5 hours is still enough to get to Newark proper, eat, and get back.]

Last edited by Xyzzy; May 24, 07 at 8:26 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: