Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO: Nonstop service to the moon or Mars?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2007, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
CO: Nonstop service to the moon or Mars?

While Virgin is marketing space travel to some degree, and over the years some airlines have hinted at travel to the moon or beyond (haven't some even offered a trip to the moon as a frequent flier prize when such travel becomes available?) I was wondering what CO's take on space travel is.

In its history of marketing, has CO ever talked about, even creatively, about space travel? In its early years, did it ever suggest flights to the moon would ever come to fruition? Or has CO completely stayed out of the space game ...even in creative advertising campaigns?
Old May 11, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
I don't think the 757 has the range for these markets Doubt even the 787 does.
Old May 13, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA *G
Don't give Embreaer and Houston ideas for an ERJ-145XXXR with non-stop service from Cleveland.
Old May 13, 2007, 6:20 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
They'll have to have unscheduled fuel stops at the International Space Station during the Winter.
Old May 13, 2007, 6:57 pm

Would the flights be considered domestic or International in terms of getting EAU's.

Old May 13, 2007, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Can you imagine the complaints about the lack of ice cream sundaes because its a TransPlan not a TransCon flight. Warp speed, Scotty
Old May 13, 2007, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JBLUA320
Don't give Embreaer and Houston ideas for an ERJ-145XXXR with non-stop service from Cleveland.
I saw the title header for this thread and knew there would be an RJ crack withiin the first five posts
Old May 13, 2007, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, DL - Plat
Originally Posted by jaw1858
I saw the title header for this thread and knew there would be an RJ crack withiin the first five posts
Seems fair, although, I am surprised it wasn't a CRJ crack.
Old May 14, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
I'd rather see CO bring back the PVD-IAH nonstop...

Everything I've read about Kellner suggests that he's a down-the-middle, bottom-line kind of executive. Hence, an "airline to Mars" is exactly the kind of thing that CO would NOT do.
Old May 14, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by chasbondy
Can you imagine the complaints about the lack of ice cream sundaes because its a TransPlan not a TransCon flight. Warp speed, Scotty
Actually, wouldn't it be InterPlan?

Seriously, why wouldn't CO eventually want flights to MRS and the LUNar region?
Old May 14, 2007, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Oil

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
Actually, wouldn't it be InterPlan?

As impossible as it is, if they found oil on either, you know CO would launch nonstop service to it immediately.
Old May 14, 2007, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by chasbondy
Will be freeze dried ice cream!

Waht would meals at meal time consist of on these flights. Tang would certainly be on the menu!
Old May 14, 2007, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
I can see MRS, but not LUN. I think that CO's idea of long thin TATL routes applies much more to southern France than it does to Zamibia.

I'm perfectly happy to see CO focus their marketing on opportunities that they have a chance of delivering on, like meals and EUA and the other "normal" stuff, rather than joking about going to the moon.
Old May 14, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by otralot
Would the flights be considered domestic or International in terms of getting EAU's.

Hawaii.
Old May 14, 2007, 9:11 pm

Wink Need 6K OP miles after moon flight

A round trip from IAH to the moon should get about 478,000 miles. So my Silver Elite co-worker should get 717,000 miles for a flight to the moon. Then he has a round trip to NRT in J the next day, which would get him another 27,000 miles, for a total of 744,000.

That's just barely below what he needs for an EasyPass BF reward trip to Europe with his wife and cat (the cat got used to having her own BusinessFirst seat when CO flew her back from CDG). If he calls the OPSC right after the moon flight lands, would CO qualify him for Platinum (because of the moon EQMs) so he can get 37,000 miles for the IAH-NRT trip and the cat doesn't have to fly in Y?

Also, is it OK to let the cat out of the carrier in zero G?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.