FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   EWR to London Elite Upgarde Chances (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/684408-ewr-london-elite-upgarde-chances.html)

jay9890 Apr 19, 2007 4:14 pm

EWR to London Elite Upgarde Chances

I will be flying to London (Gatewick) from EWR in mid-June on an H class ticket. As a Silver Elite member, waht are the chances of an upgrade. Are my chances better on any particular flights? Thanks.

bcre3306 Apr 19, 2007 4:17 pm

you have a 0% chance. CO doesnt upgrade on international flights. Sorry

MBM3 Apr 19, 2007 4:18 pm

Well, you can try upgrading with miles, but there are not any complimentary elite upgrades to europe.

cruisr Apr 19, 2007 4:19 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk.

There does not seem to be any rythme or reason on some of the upgrades these days. I am booked for May on a Y fare and was upgraded almost immediatly when booked in October. I am on the 757 and not the 777 that has more BF seat. I am also booked in June on the same fare on the 777 and the EWR-LGW has not cleared though the return has. I know this is not a helpful answer but I would think there would have been a better chance on the 777 and that has not happened (yet).
Cheers

CO FF Apr 19, 2007 4:19 pm

Welcome to FT.

2 chances: Slim and none. (All together now) And Slim just saddled up his horse and rode out of town.

Your only chance is if, after all OP miles upgrades have been processed: (a) Y is oversold, (b) BF has open seats, and (c) nobody on the flight has higher status than you or a higher fare bucket ticket.

stephfj Apr 19, 2007 4:56 pm

My dh was on a Y fare this past sunday flt 28 . He rec'd an email at the 24 hour mark that his waitlist did not clear.......1st flew with 3 empty seats!

This was the night of the storm, there was not 1 empty seat in the rear and lots of people left behind at the gate that would have loved his seat had his upgrade cleared.

Can't CO do something about collecting the taxes associated with the upgrade (like they do the miles) and refund if it doesn't clear (like the miles). At least I'm assuming that is why they don't clear intl upgrades past the 24 hour mark...please correct me if I'm wrong.

sbm12 Apr 19, 2007 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by stephfj (Post 7609514)
Can't CO do something about collecting the taxes associated with the upgrade (like they do the miles) and refund if it doesn't clear (like the miles). At least I'm assuming that is why they don't clear intl upgrades past the 24 hour mark...please correct me if I'm wrong.

This actually has nothing to do with it. The taxes are only higher for leaving the UK, not for going over. 2 years ago when I last did it they made me pay when I went on the list and then refunded me when it didn't clear. That is definitely not the reason for the 24 hour issue.

The fact that CO wouldn't upgrade someone at departure who was previously on the list in order to accomodate displaced travelers is yet another example of why the policy stinks so badly.