Taking a later flight to FCO

Old Apr 19, 07, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Taking a later flight to FCO

In May I am flying to Italy with a friend. We are departing from different cities and are flying through EWR. We have about two hours between flights. My friend has said he will not fly acoss the pond without me and if his flight is late, I should wait for him. There is a later flight out of EWR that at this point shows lots of seats. A complicating factor is that we are flying from FCO to Venice on Altalia. We are on separate tickets.

So, what are the chances that (assuming there are seats on the later flight) that if I arrive on time and his flight is late, I can switch to the later flight?
Old Apr 19, 07, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
First, do not assume the later flights have lots of empty seats. Chances are the flight will be completely packed.

Second, I don't think you can get $25 confirmed standby on the later flight, as it's 5 hours later. You can only do it within 3 hours of that flight.

So, your only choice is a non-confirmed walkup standby, which can be very extremely risky, of course.

Last edited by rkkwan; Apr 19, 07 at 11:41 am
Old Apr 19, 07, 11:38 am

flights to Italy are virtually always sold out, plus the later flight usually fills at the last minute with all of the misconnects from the early flight.
Old Apr 19, 07, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The better way is to have your friend do standby (either $25 confirmed, or free walk-up) from the original airport to EWR, and then if he makes it, standby again for EWR-FCO.

Search this Thread