FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   EWR: Nor'easter coming Sunday/Monday? [April 15/16, 2007] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/682158-ewr-noreaster-coming-sunday-monday-april-15-16-2007-a.html)

MilesDavis Apr 13, 2007 8:24 am

EWR: Nor'easter coming Sunday/Monday? [April 15/16, 2007]

Weather don't look so hot for the Northeast travelers starting next week.

http://headlines.accuweather.com/new...her&traveler=0

JetSet78 Apr 13, 2007 8:37 am

Originally Posted by MilesDavis (Post 7575628)
Weather don't look so hot for the Northeast travelers starting next week.

http://headlines.accuweather.com/new...her&traveler=0

Let's hope the weather can cut us a break - at least until next season!

"Continental Airlines is paging Spring... " :cool:

njshawn Apr 13, 2007 12:17 pm

Good, I am supposed to be on EWR-LGW on Sunday and I don't feel like going. Maybe it will get cancelled :)

mywifeisincoach Apr 13, 2007 2:12 pm

Guess Jetblue will be cancelling their entire schedule to show how proactive they are.

dietcoke Apr 13, 2007 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by mywifeisincoach (Post 7577648)
Guess Jetblue will be cancelling their entire schedule to show how proactive they are.

I don't think so. The last couple of storms brought Ice pellets and as you know nobody is allowed to fly in these conditions. This storm will bring heavy rain and strong winds. Perhaps you should really be thankful that flight crews are looking out for your well being instead of focusing your negativity at one particular company. Enjoy your roller coaster ride.

puddy Apr 13, 2007 3:46 pm

I know people like to exaggerate, but they were talking about the upcoming storm on NPR this morning and described it saying, "a storm like this comes along once every 20 years."

I guess we'll see. Luckily, I will be far away from the Northeast until late Tuesday night.

mywifeisincoach Apr 14, 2007 3:11 am

Originally Posted by dietcoke (Post 7578075)
I don't think so. The last couple of storms brought Ice pellets and as you know nobody is allowed to fly in these conditions. This storm will bring heavy rain and strong winds. Perhaps you should really be thankful that flight crews are looking out for your well being instead of focusing your negativity at one particular company. Enjoy your roll coaster ride.

:D

modavi Apr 14, 2007 7:55 am

I have a flight EWR-IAH Sunday evening. Think I may just try to fly out tonight and miss the storm all together. Anyone else going ahead and changing flights?

Xyzzy Apr 14, 2007 8:21 am

Gee -- usually I'm the one away for this kind of event. This time the fabulous Mrs. Xyzzy is the one away ... due back at EWR ~6am Monday. Something tells me I won't need to be there anywhere near that early, or even that day.

I see nothing on the CO site about this yet.

cerealmarketer Apr 14, 2007 8:27 am

Maybe I'm naive about this....where is weatherboy to fill in, but....

Huge rain event, and some strong wind, but really no snow or ice for the airports. Can't imagine it would be worse than anything we've seen delay wise this winter, and nothing like the St. Patrick's massacre. As far as I know the t-storm activity is minimal in the northeast, so lots of 2 hr delays, but closing the airport? Please, enlighten me.

Weatherboy Apr 14, 2007 10:27 am

Weather

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 7580709)
Maybe I'm naive about this....where is weatherboy to fill in, but....

Huge rain event, and some strong wind, but really no snow or ice for the airports. Can't imagine it would be worse than anything we've seen delay wise this winter, and nothing like the St. Patrick's massacre. As far as I know the t-storm activity is minimal in the northeast, so lots of 2 hr delays, but closing the airport? Please, enlighten me.

The low pressure system forecast to move through will be one of the most intense on record --but only in terms of barometric pressure. (It's currently forecast to be the third deepest low pressure on record for the month of April in this region.)

However, pressure alone doesn't make a storm severe ...and while lots of inland areas will see lots of late-season snow, coastal areas such as EWR will see a wind-driven rainstorm not much worse than other rain-driven rainstorms EWR has seen in the past.

So yes, there will be a prolonged heavy rain event ...and strong, gusty winds --enough meteorological mayhem to create long delays and backed-up traffic, but nothing severe enough to outright shut down the major airports.

Nevertheless, I'm glad I'm not flying Sunday-Tuesday --not because it's going to be really bad, just that I don't enjoy trying to travel on any inclement travel days.

modavi Apr 15, 2007 7:57 am

I decided to fly out yesterday instead. Weather is beautiful in Houston, hope everyone else makes it in or out of the NY area okay!

njxbean Apr 15, 2007 8:43 am

Originally Posted by modavi (Post 7584391)
I decided to fly out yesterday instead. Weather is beautiful in Houston, hope everyone else makes it in or out of the NY area okay!

same here. had a 4:40pm flight today. but didnt want to deal with the madness. so i flew out yesterday.

cova Apr 15, 2007 9:53 am

We had heavy rain in DCA overnight - but since this morning it has been light - on and off rain. Nothing to cause flight delays.

While the rain was heavy last night - the wind was not. I think the airlines may have overreacted in this case - cancelling flights in advance.

RNE Apr 15, 2007 11:52 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 7580709)
...nothing like the St. Patrick's massacre.

Amen! I was in balmy Hong Kong and still got stranded by it.