Award Seats To Honolulu in Early June...HELP!

Old Apr 9, 07, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FT Member # 642
Award Seats To Honolulu in Early June...HELP!

I have friend that needs your help and I know nothing about Continental so if you could help them out we would appreciate it.

This is their question:

How long would one expect to wait for regular reward seats to be released on a continental hawaii flight in early this coming june ? i'm waiting on specific ones to and from honolulu because i've locked in our other flights to la, can't afford to change. we don't have any special elite status on any airline but want to use miles.

Thanks!

I sent them here but FT is a bit intimidating for a newbie.

Last edited by wingless; Apr 9, 07 at 4:32 pm
Old Apr 9, 07, 4:48 pm

Reward seats to HNL can be tough, even as an elite. Flights may very well open up closer to your travel dates, but one never knows since June is one of the peak seasons to the islands (after kids get out of school). It might be helpful to call OnePass and see if there are any seats on Northwest or Delta for your preferred dates (or a combination of any of the 3).
Old Apr 9, 07, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I don't understand what you mean by locked in flights into LA.

What are you trying to do?
Old Apr 9, 07, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
I have friend that needs your help and I know nothing about Continental so if you could help them out we would appreciate it.

This is their question:

How long would one expect to wait for regular reward seats to be released on a continental hawaii flight in early this coming june ? i'm waiting on specific ones to and from honolulu because i've locked in our other flights to la, can't afford to change. we don't have any special elite status on any airline but want to use miles.

Thanks!

I sent them here but FT is a bit intimidating for a newbie.
Are you saying that you're looking for flights from LAX-HNL?
Old Apr 9, 07, 5:20 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by CO 1E View Post
Are you saying that you're looking for flights from LAX-HNL?
That's my read. The OP has tix to LAX that can not change and at some point would like to continue on to HNL.

Or so I read.
Old Apr 9, 07, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
The way I read it was that they want a specific flight number on a specific day LAX-HNL and v.v.

If that is the case and you are using miles to go to HNL then why not get the award from where ever you are? CO doesn't give any sort of mileage discount from the west coast, you pay the same # of miles from Portland Maine as you do from LAX.
Old Apr 9, 07, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FT Member # 642
two std award seats needed, from lax to honolulu, on friday june 1 going, and sunday june 10 returning. not flexible on dates.
i've been checking since february, but doesn't seem to be any regular coach seats with the lowest mileage redemption, available. only biz/first class.

continental flights 3 on the inbound and 12 on outbound

Last edited by wingless; Apr 9, 07 at 7:30 pm
Old Apr 9, 07, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
two std award seats needed, from lax to honolulu, on friday june 1 going, and sunday june 10 returning. not flexible on dates.
i've been checking since february, but doesn't seem to be any regular coach seats with the lowest mileage redemption, available. only biz/first class.

I see the availabilty you see. But, you need to understand Friday & Sunday are by far, the heaviest Hawaii travel days. I'd say your odds are low to miniscule. If I were you, I'd see what OnePass has out of San Francisco on Northwest, and I'd also check AlohaAir and HawaiianAir out of Los Angeles (LAX), San Diego (SAN), Orange County (SNA) and San Francisco for cheap paid flights. Good luck to you.
Old Apr 10, 07, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Other options to consider are any CO/NW/DL flights to KOA, OGG, or LIH. I think CO only flys to HNL, but DL and NW also utilize some of the other airports around the islands. Flights on Aloha/Hawaiian/Island Air between the islands and HNL are cheap and frequent. Your friend will also appreciate the inter-island terminal at HNL much more than the International/Mainland terminal.

Since they will be there over a week this could give them the option to see another island or two as well. Kauai is a little backwoods, but beautiful overall.
Old Apr 10, 07, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

Hmm...dates, airline, and flight number included, with no flexibility on anything whatsoever. Now THIS is exactly what EasyPass was intended for.

At least BF is available for your dates. Might want to grab that while you can. You'll be kicking yourself if they go away and you have to spend 70K in coach, when you could have paid 75K for busineess.

Bend over and pay up. Enjoy the trip!
Old Apr 10, 07, 1:13 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17

I second channa's sentiment: if you have no flexibility at all, then prepare to pay accordingly.

That said, LAX to HNL is not that tough with SkyTeam as you have CO, NW, and DL nonstops, plus the ability to go up the coast with Alaska. That said, you can fly June 1 LAX to PDX on AS 403 departing LAX 6:15am and arriving PDX 8:29am, then connect to NW 217 from PDX at 12:40pm and arriving HNL 331pm. If you want to leave later, take AS 411 from LAx at 10:20am, connect in PDX to SEA on one of a few Horizon Air options, then connect to NW 807 arriving HNL 8:17pm. On the return June 10, fly overnight on NW 222 from HNL at 9:55pm to SFO and arrive 5:55am. Connect to AS 510 departing SFO 7:40am and arriving LAX 9:07am June 11. The connections may be incinvenient, but you will save a significant number of miles over the CO nonstops.
Old Apr 10, 07, 1:51 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Hate to tell you my experience....

I'm flying in from the Pacific on June 1st, and I am shipping family in from stateside the same time. I started to look in August of last year. Only after a lot of moaning and groaning did I end up getting seats in BF about a month ago but on May 30th departure, nothing on June 1st. I was open for anything plus or minus a few days and open to IAH, LAX, or EWR or anywhere and it took me forever.

Correct me if I am wrong as I can do this from here on CO but not sure about stateside, It is my understanding that OnePass Elite members can waitlist for reward seats and they can waitlist a whole bunch of different options / routes at one time. Atleast I had three different segements waitlisted for a reward seat. When it comes open they are held and the person can then get the seats. So that can eat up the seats in a hurry especially standard reward in coach on CO to HNL.

HNL is a tough ticket to get, the LAX HNL flight is more non rev flight then the HNL IAH and HNL EWR flight is so you might luck out but I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about your chances to get a standard reward seat on CO metal, with partners and doing some jumps and such you have a chance, but it would be better if your airport and your dates were flexible.
Old Apr 10, 07, 2:00 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by chasbondy View Post
If I were you, I'd see what OnePass has out of San Francisco on Northwest, and I'd also check AlohaAir and HawaiianAir out of Los Angeles (LAX), San Diego (SAN), Orange County (SNA) and San Francisco for cheap paid flights. Good luck to you.
Doesn't Hawaiian still have the LAS flights to HNL as well? Might want to check that one too. Not sure how the person in question has miles on CO but no status so it might be they have CC or such miles that they can redeem on any or a handful of airlines. But I'm the first to admit that I"m not sure how Hawaiian works things anymore, it's been a while since I've used them into the mainland.
Old Apr 10, 07, 2:06 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by KosraeTV View Post
Doesn't Hawaiian still have the LAS flights to HNL as well? Might want to check that one too. Not sure how the person in question has miles on CO but no status so it might be they have CC or such miles that they can redeem on any or a handful of airlines. But I'm the first to admit that I"m not sure how Hawaiian works things anymore, it's been a while since I've used them into the mainland.
And so does Aloha (albeit one stop through OAK).

ATA has some decent fares out of LAX as well. But the OP's friend is missing some cheap deals for the month of may (LAX-HNL).

You might also consider calling a travel agent here in Honolulu and asking what types of bulk ticketing their have available going on DL/NW/CO LAX-HNL. Sometimes you can get them under $300.
Old Apr 10, 07, 10:38 am

Programs: SPG plat, Mar plat, Hyatt plat, Amtrak sel+, AA gold, Hilton gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I have to agree with chasbondy. Your odds are miniscule. I book at least a couple flights a year to Hawaii and a Friday outbound with a Sunday inbound in June is extremely unlilkely to free up. If it does, and you get it, make sure to also play the lotto. Take everyone's advice and look at the other very good options suggested.

Search this Thread