Y Class -- No Y-up and non-refundable?

Old Apr 8, 07, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Y Class -- No Y-up and non-refundable?

I am trying to purchase a OW for my son from NAS-EWR on 4/27. There is no FC available, so the co.com default gives me a Y seat. However, the reservation has no Y-up icon, and the ticket is listed as non-refundable.

I thought Y class was always refundable (as noted in another post when I did a search on this topic). Has something changed or is this a .com bug?
Old Apr 8, 07, 8:09 am
Suspended

it might be tough/risky for people in this forum to comment on that specific ticket. why not call CO.O.L tech support and they can mimick your steps and comment on the actual result of your search?
Old Apr 8, 07, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are two different Y fares on the NAS-EWR route.

Fare Y0BN $329

FARE RULES TEXT
CANCELLATIONS
ANY TIME
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW/REFUND.WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE/ILLNESS OR DEATH OFPASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER.

Fare Y8 $588
No rules/restrictions.
Old Apr 8, 07, 12:08 pm

there is no Y-up icon because there are most likely no FC seats to move up to. they are all full.

also, if you're son is not elite, he is not eligible for Y-up until he checks-in.
Old Apr 8, 07, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not only are Y fares not always refundable (e.g., to certain destinations during periods of extraordinary demand like holidays), but sometimes CO doesn't even offer a Y fare at all. My example was EWR-Puerto Vallarta around New Year's this past year. H was highest coach fare and nonrefundable. Even paid Business Class (C/D) was nonrefundable. I assume part of the reason for the lack of Y fares was because they didn't want to allow any YUPs for elites, instead forcing them to purchase a meaningfully more expensive Biz class ticket.

Search this Thread