Who "owns" my reservation...

Old Apr 4, 07, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass, Marriott
Who "owns" my reservation...

Made some last minute plans to travel from CLE to DFW next week on Orbitz.

Choose the least expensive multi-carrier route, combination of CO on the first leg CLE to STL, AA STL to DFW, then DFW to CLE the next day on AA.

Went to the CO website the next day and there is my reservation with a CO confirmation number.

My question is does CO 'own' this reservation? This is important because I may want to stand by for an earlier flight on CO, even though I am ticketed on AA. Make sense?

Thanks...

Steve
Old Apr 4, 07, 12:12 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Steve,

You ask a good question - and one that's tricky to answer.

As I understand it, the issuing carrier is the one that "owns" the ticket as you are ultimantly paying them for the ticket. Now, should you need to make changes or encounter irregularities in the course of your travel the situation can become even murkier considering who'll you need to call to straighten things out.

Here are two other threads dealing with the similar issue of buying a ticket from one carrier but flying on another:
Reaccommodation Due to Excessive Delays

Delayed CO Flight Misconnects to UA Booked as US Codeshare--Who's Responsible?
Old Apr 4, 07, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
First, go to co.com and click "view receipt" after you find your itinerary. See if the ticket number even starts with 005. If it does, at least you're on a CO ticket, not an AA one.
Old Apr 4, 07, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass, Marriott
It does start with 005...

And I am showing that I get all the miles for the trip into my CO account...
Old Apr 4, 07, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by smuniak View Post
And I am showing that I get all the miles for the trip into my CO account...
You will not get credit in your CO account for the AA flights. The website is very bad about dealing with anything that is not 100% standard (and only OK at dealing with the standard stuff).
Old Apr 4, 07, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rkkwan View Post
First, go to co.com and click "view receipt" after you find your itinerary. See if the ticket number even starts with 005. If it does, at least you're on a CO ticket, not an AA one.
Ticket stock isn't the issue here.

He's on a CO flight, and he can standby. They can use that ticket and put him on any flight that day. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old Apr 4, 07, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Ticket stock isn't the issue here.

He's on a CO flight, and he can standby. They can use that ticket and put him on any flight that day. Shouldn't be a problem.
But he's only on a CO flight CLE-STL. STL-DFW is on AA. Yes, earlier CLE-STL won't be a problem, but will they let him standby for CLE-DFW?
Old Apr 4, 07, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Interesting. If you can see your entire reservation on CO.com you might have a chance at standing by for CLE-DFW and skip STL. The way I would approach it is do try to do a same day confirmed standby online. This would avoid the human factor. If the computer lets you do it then go for it. If you are on a CO ticket then it shouldn't cancel your ticket on AA the next day for your return home. You might verify that last part with AA to be sure... just let them know that you might fly CO standby all the way to DFW and make sure your return the next day is still ok if that happens.
Old Apr 4, 07, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rkkwan View Post
But he's only on a CO flight CLE-STL. STL-DFW is on AA. Yes, earlier CLE-STL won't be a problem, but will they let him standby for CLE-DFW?
No way, not without some sort of operational issue.

Search this Thread