Gatwick & Second Security Check

Old Apr 4, 07, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Gatwick & Second Security Check

I'll be going to London at the end of this month, and have not travelled through the UK since the new security measures have been in place. For my return LGW-EWR, I am aware of the one bag, no liquids (except for the small size in a baggie etc) at the first security checkpoint, but what about the security stop just before the boarding area?? Recently, I've been bringing an empty water bottle and filling it up in the PC-- Will this be allowed? I ask this because on a recent flight from HKG to EWR, we were told NO LIQUIDS allowed, not even Duty Free purchased after the first security, and from CGN to EWR any liquid items bought in DF were delivered onto the plane -- thus not allowed to be carried on.

PS- I checked on CO as well as in the Security forums and could not find an answer... so thanks in advance.
Old Apr 4, 07, 10:20 am

Programs: CO
hi, i just flew lgw-ewr a couple of days ago and the security check before entering the gate area was just a passport check with questions about whether your luggage had been out of your sight, etc. i went through with a bottle from duty and people traveling with me did as well. the people traveling with me also each went through with their single carryon and an additional bag from duty free. hope this helps.
Old Apr 4, 07, 12:59 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
There is secondary RANDOM searches at the second check. Why don't you just ask for a water bottle on the plane? Why bring your own plastic container?
FYI get to Gatwick early, the security lines lately have been LONG. I got there yesterday a very unusual two hours early (normally, I enjoy cutting every flight too close for comfort) and I had no extra time. The security line was insane. I hear it has been backing up all the way to the trains!!!
Old Apr 4, 07, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by cigarman View Post
There is secondary RANDOM searches at the second check. Why don't you just ask for a water bottle on the plane? Why bring your own plastic container?
FYI get to Gatwick early, the security lines lately have been LONG. I got there yesterday a very unusual two hours early (normally, I enjoy cutting every flight too close for comfort) and I had no extra time. The security line was insane. I hear it has been backing up all the way to the trains!!!
Thanks for the info on the lines. As for asking for a bottle of water, this time I'm in coach and have never seen CO hand out bottled water there, so I try to fill up an empty in the PC and bring it on board. Also I thought LGW (as well as all London airports) were very strict on the ONE BAG only carry on rule. (Meaning any DF purchases would have to go into my carry on along with my purse)-- Not the case for the second/boarding area security??
Old Apr 4, 07, 3:46 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by cigarman View Post
There is secondary RANDOM searches at the second check.
Yep. The screeners at the gate have sheets telling them they must search xx% of pax on the aircraft. Something like 10% or so, IIRC. This is in addition to the BP and passport check.

Dunno if they confiscate water. That would be stupid, since the person could just hand it to one of the non-screened passengers.
Old Apr 4, 07, 4:34 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by mauld View Post
Thanks for the info on the lines. As for asking for a bottle of water, this time I'm in coach and have never seen CO hand out bottled water there, so I try to fill up an empty in the PC and bring it on board. Also I thought LGW (as well as all London airports) were very strict on the ONE BAG only carry on rule. (Meaning any DF purchases would have to go into my carry on along with my purse)-- Not the case for the second/boarding area security??
The rule is one carryon through initial security - once you're inside the terminal shopping mall, you can buy as much as you want and carry it on board. BAA (owners of LGW) want you to have your hands free to buy lots of duty free.

You may take bottles of water on board as long as you buy them in the "sterile" duty free area. I would NOT bring a bottle and fill it up, as this may contravene their "safety" regulations since the bottle is coming from outside.

See the BAA website for more information.
Old Apr 4, 07, 6:57 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Originally Posted by mauld View Post
Thanks for the info on the lines. As for asking for a bottle of water, this time I'm in coach and have never seen CO hand out bottled water there, so I try to fill up an empty in the PC and bring it on board.
What is this "coach" you speak of???

Search this Thread