Best time to buy domestic Thanksgiving tickets?

Old Apr 2, 07, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, SPG Gold, National Exec
Best time to buy domestic Thanksgiving tickets?

I'm looking to book a couple tickets from EWR to MFE on 11/21-11/25. These are clearly peak Thanksgiving travel days. Prices in coach are already $500-700 (double what they usually run). I did see a decent fare to SAT for $373, which may be worth renting a car and driving down for.

Anyone have any advice on whether I should buy now or wait for the price to come down? Is Thanksgiving an exception to the rule that for domestic airfare one should wait until the 4 month mark passes before buying? Thanks for any insight.
Old Apr 2, 07, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
My best wild guess would be... it seems that around August 1st or so, they load their post-summmer vacation and fall fares. You might be able to snag a reasonable one then.
Old Apr 2, 07, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
I never have a problem getting thanksgiving fares but I never normally buy them before 2x months in advance.
Old Apr 3, 07, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bornwild View Post
Is Thanksgiving an exception to the rule that for domestic airfare one should wait until the 4 month mark passes before buying? Thanks for any insight.
There's no such rule. I've already bought several tickets for 2008 because the price was right.

Airfares change all the time, you have to jump when it looks good with respect to the market, and your ability to be flexible.
Old Apr 3, 07, 3:51 am

Programs: CO Platinum
I've booked some of my best ($$) trips by flying on Thanksgiving day.

I mean, left overs are fine right?
Old Apr 3, 07, 5:50 am

My experience has been that if you are flying in a market Southwest serves (and I know EWR is not a Southwest market), to wait until they post their fares and CO then matches.
Old Apr 3, 07, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, SPG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by channa View Post
There's no such rule. I've already bought several tickets for 2008 because the price was right.

Airfares change all the time, you have to jump when it looks good with respect to the market, and your ability to be flexible.
I was referring to the same concept that elgringito mentions, that if you wait until the LCCs start selling tickets on (or near) the route, hopefully CO will come down in price to match them.

For instance, JetBlue is currently only selling tickets through October and Southwest through August.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Not sure I can wait until last minute, but I'll hang in there a few months and keep monitoring the prices.
Old Apr 3, 07, 3:36 pm

i have been flying for thanksgiving on CO or HP since 1996. 5 years while in college and 5 while working. i usually buy thanksgiving in july or august and xmas one month later.

your $500-$700 are not going to get any higher until just before the holidays, so, basically, they have no where to go but down for now.

do one of these few things....

1) buy now and then wait for them to drop and get a future travel cert minus the $100 change fee.

2) buy a refundable Y, H or A,D,Z,R ticket which, many times, arent much more than the current offerings. that way, you can refund when/if they drop, or simply rest assured you're flying up front for the holidays (one of the best time to actually be up front).

3) just wait. price out the trip a couple times a month. dont go past august. use orbitz or travelocity to gauge what the other airlines are doing in comparison to CO. itll give you an idea on where the market is at the time.

some years it works great. other times, i end up paying $500+ to get to phx and back. that's when option two seems to have been the best.

Search this Thread