FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Continental OnePass Sucks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/640768-continental-onepass-sucks.html)

ctaylorgraham Dec 28, 2006 4:06 pm

Continental OnePass Sucks

I have been a member of the OnePass Program for about a year and a half. During my first year I earned over 25,000 OnePass miles and was elated that I would finally have my “Elite” status. So I asked them when it would go into effect.

The answer: “Never!” said with a wicked little laugh of course.

The reason: Elite Status accrues from January 1st to December 31st, so all of my miles from the previous year…. ? … well, they just went bye-bye. Sure they’re still there but not for Elite status.

Still, I trudged on. Getting to December when I had to cancel a flight, that they still have the money for but I haven’t actually flown, so it doesn’t count, and I find myself about 4,000 miles short. Darn it all!!!

But wait, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. Continental just sent me an email for a chase card that gives me 5,000 miles!! Yes!

No! These miles don’t count toward elite status. Only miles from actually flying count toward elite status! I read the OnePass rules no mention of these miles not counting toward elite status. So I call customer service.

Me What do you mean these miles don’t count towards elite status? I’ve read the OnePass rules, and it says nothing about this.

CS You have to look in the elite section.

Me But, it doesn’t say anything anywhere in here about there being different rules for one or the other why would I assume that there’s a difference?

CS It explains that in your booklet.

Me ? What booklet, I never received a booklet.

CS Would you like to speak with a manager?

Me Yes, that would be a good idea.

Blah, blah, blah referral to the elite page which reads:

“OnePass Elite membership is earned by flying Continental Airlines and select airline partners. You can earn Elite status based on either Elite Qualification Miles or Elite Qualification Points in a calendar year.
The Elite Qualification Miles are based on the number of paid flight miles traveled (minimum of 500 miles or actual miles, whichever is greater) and the fare purchased. Elite Qualification Points are determined by the number of paid flown segments traveled and the fare class purchased.
Please note, Elite status is not based on your total OnePass account mileage balance. Mileage earned through promotional and partner offers, as well as certain non-qualifying mileage, does not apply toward Elite qualification. Additionally, certain fares such as industry discount, Hotwire and priceline.com do not count toward Elite qualification or mileage accrual.”

I really feel duped! I have no doubt that many others have had the same experience, and I truly believe that Continental intentionally keeps from pointing out any difference between the two. I’ve flown a lot of miles with Continental and that is about to stop.
I had a very bad experience with Delta, they offered me a $25 dollar gift certificate to make it better. I never used it and I have never flown with them again. In fact, that’s when I joined OnePass. I guess I’ll have to make another change.

ctownflyer Dec 28, 2006 4:26 pm

Wait for it...

Weatherboy Dec 28, 2006 4:32 pm

lol

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 6914947)
Wait for it...

Umm, in this regard, all frequent flier programs are identical. If you're "unhappy" with CO, you won't be happy anywhere.

alex0683de Dec 28, 2006 4:36 pm

Agreed. RTFM - it will make your life much, much easier.

And just in case, feel free to read up here on how to find out what RTFM means.

tom911 Dec 28, 2006 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 6914964)
Umm, in this regard, all frequent flier programs are identical.

Not entirely true. Southwest works off of credits instead of miles. Doesn't Jet Blue do something similar? Maybe those carriers would better suit the OP if he cannot fly 25,000 miles in a year to hold status on CO (let alone AA, UA).

CAL Otter Dec 28, 2006 4:40 pm

Is today 4/1/2007?

If you fail to read rules, no one else can help you.

What you described is pretty standard across all airlines and well documented on rules governing frequent flyer programs!

My only advice is to start reading rules and don't blame others for your failures. It'll help you in the rest of your life too.

kymrbill Dec 28, 2006 5:20 pm

Door - ... - bye. :rolleyes:

KENNECTED Dec 28, 2006 5:31 pm

Wait for it...

LMAO! Dont you love the first time posters that complain..then just disappear..when they really had nothing to complain about in the first place.

oh well....Seasons Greeting kids.

ctownflyer Dec 28, 2006 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 6914996)
Not entirely true. Southwest works off of credits instead of miles. Doesn't Jet Blue do something similar? Maybe those carriers would better suit the OP if he cannot fly 25,000 miles in a year to hold status on CO (let alone AA, UA).

I beleive that Weatherboy was referring to the fact that
-all airlines that offer elite status count elite miles earned in a calender year.
-all airlines that offer elite status do not count credit card miles toward elite status.

clarence5ybr Dec 28, 2006 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 6915344)
-all airlines that offer elite status do not count credit card miles toward elite status.

I agree that the OP is upset over issues that are quite clearly spelled out, and should thus not have come as 'surprises'. I disagree with your statement regarding CCs, though.

The Platinum DL Amex gives an "enrollment bonus" of 10K base miles and a "welcome bonus" of 5K MQMs after the first billing cycle; charging on the card earns base miles, but charging more than $25K in a year earns 10K MQM (starting next year, one can earn over 10K MQMs). So, there is at least one airline card that gives miles that count toward elite status. However, the MQM provisions are very clearly spelled out; in the absence of such language, I'd never expect miles from a CC to count toward elite status, and the OP should not have assumed the miles would count toward status without explicit assurance.

uthornsgo Dec 28, 2006 6:47 pm

This is the silliest thing I've read since the ConUniHound thread, but I'm afraid the OP is actually serious. Sad, sad, sad.

Billiken Dec 28, 2006 6:59 pm

Wait for it...

ctownflyer:
Just 3 words, that's all: "Wait for it...."

Got to be one of the funniest posts ever.

chasbondy Dec 28, 2006 7:12 pm

If you think you're having a problem with CO, wait til you read how low Plats will stoop at the gate to get that last upgrade. The stories range from whispering sweet nothings into the ears of gate agents to kissing a concierge, ...and everything in between

ContinentalFan Dec 28, 2006 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by ctaylorgraham (Post 6914848)
I have been a member of the OnePass Program for about a year and a half. During my first year I earned over 25,000 OnePass miles and was elated that I would finally have my “Elite” status. So I asked them when it would go into effect.

The answer: “Never!” said with a wicked little laugh of course.

The reason: Elite Status accrues from January 1st to December 31st, so all of my miles from the previous year…. ? … well, they just went bye-bye. Sure they’re still there but not for Elite status.

Still, I trudged on. Getting to December when I had to cancel a flight, that they still have the money for but I haven’t actually flown, so it doesn’t count, and I find myself about 4,000 miles short. Darn it all!!!

But wait, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. Continental just sent me an email for a chase card that gives me 5,000 miles!! Yes!

No! These miles don’t count toward elite status. Only miles from actually flying count toward elite status! I read the OnePass rules no mention of these miles not counting toward elite status. So I call customer service.

Me What do you mean these miles don’t count towards elite status? I’ve read the OnePass rules, and it says nothing about this.

CS You have to look in the elite section.

Me But, it doesn’t say anything anywhere in here about there being different rules for one or the other why would I assume that there’s a difference?

CS It explains that in your booklet.

Me ? What booklet, I never received a booklet.

CS Would you like to speak with a manager?

Me Yes, that would be a good idea.

Blah, blah, blah referral to the elite page which reads:

“OnePass Elite membership is earned by flying Continental Airlines and select airline partners. You can earn Elite status based on either Elite Qualification Miles or Elite Qualification Points in a calendar year.
The Elite Qualification Miles are based on the number of paid flight miles traveled (minimum of 500 miles or actual miles, whichever is greater) and the fare purchased. Elite Qualification Points are determined by the number of paid flown segments traveled and the fare class purchased.
Please note, Elite status is not based on your total OnePass account mileage balance. Mileage earned through promotional and partner offers, as well as certain non-qualifying mileage, does not apply toward Elite qualification. Additionally, certain fares such as industry discount, Hotwire and priceline.com do not count toward Elite qualification or mileage accrual.”

I really feel duped! I have no doubt that many others have had the same experience, and I truly believe that Continental intentionally keeps from pointing out any difference between the two. I’ve flown a lot of miles with Continental and that is about to stop.
I had a very bad experience with Delta, they offered me a $25 dollar gift certificate to make it better. I never used it and I have never flown with them again. In fact, that’s when I joined OnePass. I guess I’ll have to make another change.

Welcome to Flyertalk! So, apart from that, you're pretty happy with Continental?

socrates Dec 29, 2006 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Billiken (Post 6915532)
ctownflyer:
Just 3 words, that's all: "Wait for it...."

Got to be one of the funniest posts ever.

1) I think the OP was just trying to avoid ERJ's :D

2) I'm going to pick up the phone and call CO & NW right now...I've earned a few hundred thousand BIS miles in my OP account over the years...where's my Platinum status CO? NW I want to be included in that "secret 2%" club with my over million BIS miles (wait...how would I know if I was already a member?) :D

3) The funnest post I recall was about the ERJ-145XXXXXR with 1 BF Seat :D