Wiki Posts
Search

F/C Hot Towel presentation?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:41 am
Original Poster

F/C Hot Towel presentation?

*Useless thread* I admit...

But since I hand them out, I am genuinely curious...

Is it tacky for me (the FA) to use the tongs to "unfold" the hot towel when handing them out?

Sometimes I have the impression that the towel is very hot, and feel that by unfolding it so to speak(u know, letting it unroll out...maybe shaking it slightly) helps cool it off a bit before handing it to the pax. But, does this look or seem tacky if it is being handed to you in this manner? Or should it always be left rolled up?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I really am interested in your opinions about this.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have been declining the towel for a long time, since to be honest - I am not sure how clean they really are.

I can help you with one point, though - sometimes the towels get abit too wet, or wet in certain spots. If you unwrap them in advance, in the process of handing it to the customer, it might drip on them.

I have seen FAs unwrap the towel with the tongs, give it abit of a shake over the tray, then hand it to the customer. As a matter of fact, I have witnessed more FAs doing it this way than not, so I assumed it was the process that was followed.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:02 am

I have always found the towels to be clean.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by mywifeisincoach
*Useless thread* I admit...

But since I hand them out, I am genuinely curious...

Is it tacky for me (the FA) to use the tongs to "unfold" the hot towel when handing them out?

Sometimes I have the impression that the towel is very hot, and feel that by unfolding it so to speak(u know, letting it unroll out...maybe shaking it slightly) helps cool it off a bit before handing it to the pax. But, does this look or seem tacky if it is being handed to you in this manner? Or should it always be left rolled up?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I really am interested in your opinions about this.

I think your presentation style is perfect. Easier for the passenger to use, and if the towel is especially hot, it is easier to cool off.

To the second post comment, can the original post tell us how the hot towels are prepared? Primarily, where does the water come from? Is it ever from the plane's water supply (yuk)? Or is it always from bottled? Do you have any knowledge about how the used towels are cleaned?

Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:10 am

I like the towels unwrapped. The question seems to be trivial, but it is not.

More often than not they are extremely hot. I usually have them hanging in my hand for quite some time to cool, before cleaning my hands (not my face; I'm not in the shower, did not turn the pages of the newspaper with my face, and did not wipe the hands of the cabdriver to the airport with my face).

As long as the unwrapping is done cautiously without dripping, it wins hands down. I have to say that I actually never had any spill of water from a FA unwrapping.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by elitefreak
I think your presentation style is perfect. Easier for the passenger to use, and if the towel is especially hot, it is easier to cool off.

To the second post comment, can the original post tell us how the hot towels are prepared? Primarily, where does the water come from? Is it ever from the plane's water supply (yuk)? Or is it always from bottled? Do you have any knowledge about how the used towels are cleaned?

Thanks.
its water from the coffee machine. same water they use to brew coffee and hot tea. i do believe it is from the AC's water supply.

a tray of towels comes already rolled up on a tray from catering. then a FA pours hot water from the coffee maker over the towels. walla.... hot towels.

in terms of towel cleanliness. i cannot vouch for the water quality on board, but i equate the towel cleanliness with any towel you may use at the gym or in a hotel.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:13 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
  1. Towels
    If the towels are given the bottled water ,I'd for sure use them,however Ive read too much negative stuff about the aircraft tank water
    I always take my towell and use it to wipe off my tray and armrests as whatever water is used will do them some good
    as per the original question,I dont care if they are open or rolled. Ive noticed some FA don't wet them properly and they come out dry or sometimes they are too wet and cold.
    I flew Delta a couple of times last year and there seem to be scented with some kind of essential oil which was nice
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by dlen111
...walla.... hot towels.
Voilą?
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I found them cool off very very quickly. From burning hot to cold once I unfold it, in seconds. But I usually receive them on Row 44 on the 777, so I guess time is a major factor in my case.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: CO Plat, Mariott Plat, National Exec. Elite, Hilton plywood elite, P-Club!
Keep Mine Rolled, Please

In the minority, I like as hot as possible and also give it a good squeexe to evenly distribute the water and drain any excess onto the floor. Once through wiping face and hands, I just drape it over my face and breathe deeply. It is the last moist air you'll get for a while.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I find it classier it the FA unfolds the hot towel - rather than just presenting a rolled towel. Just like hopping out of a swimming pool and having the butler hand you an open towel - rather than a folded one - it is ready to use.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by kymrbill
good squeeze to evenly distribute the water and drain any excess onto the floor
Now, that's classy!! Make sure that you take off your shoes before you get up to walk around or use the lav!!
Old Dec 18, 2006, 1:15 pm

Rolled or unrolled, I like the hot towel service on UA flights, especially long haul flights. They are evenly hot, scented, and you get one before each meal and one before landing. They served them rolled up and they are always just right.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I prefer mine handed to me rolled up. It cools off quite quickly when unrolled.

When done using the towel on me I pull out the tray table and give it a good wipe. More than once I've found some sort of residue from a previous passenger waiting for me.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by sic incognito
Voilą?
Walla Voila Washington?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.