FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Extra Seat, why no ONEPASS Miles for it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/614913-extra-seat-why-no-onepass-miles.html)

jdls22 Oct 19, 2006 7:21 pm

Extra Seat, why no ONEPASS Miles for it?

This may have been answered already, but I fly to China/Hong Kong 5-6 times a year from EWR. Since I work for a smaller company, Biz Class is usually out of the question, but they do allow me to buy an extra seat..My question is why doesn't CO allow us to get miles for this extra seat? And does anyone know if they plan on changing this?

Thanks

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Oct 19, 2006 7:25 pm

How long until this poor soul is posting about how someone was wedged in next to him on an oversold flight...murphy's law...

capitalflow Oct 19, 2006 7:59 pm

Hat's off to you.

Originally Posted by jdls22
This may have been answered already, but I fly to China/Hong Kong 5-6 times a year from EWR. Since I work for a smaller company, Biz Class is usually out of the question, but they do allow me to buy an extra seat..My question is why doesn't CO allow us to get miles for this extra seat? And does anyone know if they plan on changing this?

Thanks

Let me get this straight: you fly to HKG SIX times a year in COACH? Man oh man, I sure that your company appreciates what a trooper you are!!! I mean, CO does a great job in all its cabins, but it must be hard to carry on business once on the ground and as such, you deserve an upgrade! I have done the EWRKKGEWR and I know it can be brutal. I say, if anyone attempts to sit in the seat next to you -- make it solidly plain that you purchased.

^

snake Oct 19, 2006 9:45 pm

This has been discussed before, if Yo-Yo Ma can have a seperate FF account for his dumb cello, there ain't no reason you cant have a seperate FF account for your left Butt and your right Butt.

Of course there's a problem when you go to redeem a reward (unless it's on Amtrak) you gotta redeem a seperate reward for each cheek. ;)

rkkwan Oct 19, 2006 9:46 pm

I have always read about so-and-so's cello getting its own FF account and miles. Don't know CO's policy on it, but you may want to ask about it. Not sure if you actually have to bring the cello (or maybe just a cello case)...

snake Oct 19, 2006 9:56 pm

See: CABIN SEAT BAGGAGE: FLYING WITH A CELLO :D

J.Edward Oct 19, 2006 10:26 pm

This may have been answered already, but I fly to China/Hong Kong 5-6 times a year from EWR.

In Y?

That's oodles of fun right there!

6 r/t EWR-HKG flights will net you 96,783 EQMs and (assuming you're Plat) 217,762 RDM's.

But, if your schedule will allow it, flying UA (i.e. EWR-ORD-HKG) net you enough miles to become a top tier elite on them (UA’s top level requires 100,000 EQMs and routing EWR-ORD-HKG 6 times in a year will yield 102,154 EQMs).

In addition to tangible Y perks not found on CO's longhaul international flights (such as E+, seat blocking for elites, free booze, etc.) you'll also get six SWU's (system wide upgrades). Those SWU's have a much better potential to upgrade you into a coach seat than CO's restrictive international BF upgrade policies.

Anyway, if you're willing to put up with UA and ORD (which admittedly is a lot) it may behoove you to check into this.

Hong Kong is an awesome city :)

jdls22 Oct 19, 2006 10:27 pm

Thanks for all the responses, I guess I will give it try and get another FF account for my EXTRA seat..

Xyzzy Oct 20, 2006 5:33 am

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Those SWU's have a much better potential to upgrade you into a coach seat than CO's restrictive international BF upgrade policies.

I think J.Edward was up too late again :D :p He meant that you can upgrade to a Business class seat on UA with the systemwide upgrade coupons UA hands out to its top-tier elites.

J.Edward Oct 20, 2006 6:10 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I think J.Edward was up too late again :D :p He meant that you can upgrade to a Business class seat on UA with the systemwide upgrade coupons UA hands out to its top-tier elites.

:o :o :o

Thanks xyzzy! :)

That's what I was trying to say. ;)

Xyzzy Oct 20, 2006 6:12 am

:o :o :o

Thanks xyzzy! :)

That's what I was trying to say. ;)

As punishment for an incorrect post you'll have to spend the weekend in Cleveland! :D :D :D

jdls22 Oct 20, 2006 6:27 am

In Y?

That's oodles of fun right there!

6 r/t EWR-HKG flights will net you 96,783 EQMs and (assuming you're Plat) 217,762 RDM's.

But, if your schedule will allow it, flying UA (i.e. EWR-ORD-HKG) net you enough miles to become a top tier elite on them (UA’s top level requires 100,000 EQMs and routing EWR-ORD-HKG 6 times in a year will yield 102,154 EQMs).

In addition to tangible Y perks not found on CO's longhaul international flights (such as E+, seat blocking for elites, free booze, etc.) you'll also get six SWU's (system wide upgrades). Those SWU's have a much better potential to upgrade you into a coach seat than CO's restrictive international BF upgrade policies.

Anyway, if you're willing to put up with UA and ORD (which admittedly is a lot) it may behoove you to check into this.

Hong Kong is an awesome city :)

Thanks for the info, I may look into this..ORD is a pain in the ..., espcially when I could fly Direct from EWR...THat is tough to pass up, and now with CO hoping to get the EWR-SHANGHAI route, that will be my new choice of entry into China..I also sometimes use the EWR-PEK route..

J.Edward Oct 20, 2006 6:50 am

Thanks for the info, I may look into this..ORD is a pain in the ..., especially when I could fly Direct from EWR...That is tough to pass up, and now with CO hoping to get the EWR-SHANGHAI route, that will be my new choice of entry into China..I also sometimes use the EWR-PEK route..

Bingo. Plus UA's management is not up to the level of CO’s IMHO.

Rarely do I have MX issues with CO - wish I could say the same for UA :(

Ditto for delays on ORD. I'm not saying CO is never delayed out of ORD (we've got EWR for that :)) but rather with your current schedule you do not have to bother with ORD is certainly a blessing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying EWR is a pleasure cruise but ORD during the wintertime is not the happiest place on earth. Especially in the penalty box! (bad memories :()

But, UA will offer you the better chance of an upgrade and more legroom in coach.

It's a tough call and one that only you can make. If you rather prefer non-stops and consistent (even if it is a mediocre Y product for the time being), I'd go with CO. If you care more about the big seat and person room (or free drinks in Y) than check out UA.

...or if you hang around here enough you'll start asking yourself, "why can't I make Plat on CO and 1K on UA. I really should book a mileage run..." :eek: :D

Welcome to Flyertalk :)

CO 1E Oct 20, 2006 9:18 am

Thanks for the info, I may look into this..ORD is a pain in the ..., espcially when I could fly Direct from EWR...THat is tough to pass up, and now with CO hoping to get the EWR-SHANGHAI route, that will be my new choice of entry into China..I also sometimes use the EWR-PEK route..

One suggestion I would have would be to see if your company would be willing to pay the CO upgrade fees every now and then in lieu of buying an extra seat. You could then use your miles to upgrade to BF, if you were so inclined. For example, instead of purchasing two $1300 or $1400 coach tickets, purchase one $1300 ticket and pay $900 in fees to upgrade the two segments. That actually would save $400 or $500, but you'd have to spend your own miles. In addition, the EWR-Asia routes are notoriously difficult to upgrade. If your upgrade doesn't clear, you'll watch the BF cabin go out full of non-revs from your seat in coach.

jdls22 Oct 20, 2006 9:26 am

Originally Posted by CO 1E
One suggestion I would have would be to see if your company would be willing to pay the CO upgrade fees every now and then in lieu of buying an extra seat. You could then use your miles to upgrade to BF, if you were so inclined. For example, instead of purchasing two $1300 or $1400 coach tickets, purchase one $1300 ticket and pay $900 in fees to upgrade the two segments. That actually would save $400 or $500, but you'd have to spend your own miles. In addition, the EWR-Asia routes are notoriously difficult to upgrade. If your upgrade doesn't clear, you'll watch the BF cabin go out full of non-revs from your seat in coach.

What do you mean by non-revs? I just returned from China this past Tuesday, I flew PEK-EWR, I paid $450 for the upgrade plust 25K miles, it didn't clear. When I boarded the plane there were 8 empty seats in FC..I don't understand this..I am currently Gold Elite, should be Plat by the end of November, two more trips to China planned this year alone plus one trip to Vegas..

The one thing about CO out of EWR you could get flights, in COACH, to HKG/PEK from EWR for under $900, which isn't bad. Also I don't mind using my miles to upgrade, but like you said FC upgrades are very difficult to come by especially on these routes..