FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   PC access with Prestige Pack coupon? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/614443-pc-access-prestige-pack-coupon.html)

worldwidetraveler Oct 18, 2006 2:57 pm

PC access with Prestige Pack coupon?

Our son is connecting thru IAH & I was wondering if I could meet him there & enter the PC with one of the PrestigePack coupons. I am not flying that day but could print out my boarding pass for the next day's flight I'm ticketed on.
The wife would like to come with me but is it possible she could get a pass thru security from the CO counter?
I have read that a PC member can get a pass thru security to go to the club even if he/she is not ticketed.

SteveHK Dec 1, 2006 3:35 pm

Security

Who may and may not pass through security is a federal law, not a decision of the airlines and thus, with out a ticket or other valid reason (parent of child traveller, assistant) you will not be able to pass through.

I miss they days when you could meet someone at the gate, etc. Everyone passes through the same security process-- why should a boarding pass be a requirement?

Good luck

nancy61 Dec 1, 2006 3:53 pm

The "Flyertalk" solution is to buy a fully refundable ticket so you can pass through security, then have it refunded at the club right before you leave.

iriefrank Dec 1, 2006 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by SteveHK (Post 6779295)
Who may and may not pass through security is a federal law, not a decision of the airlines and thus, with out a ticket or other valid reason (parent of child traveller, assistant) you will not be able to pass through.

I miss they days when you could meet someone at the gate, etc. Everyone passes through the same security process-- why should a boarding pass be a requirement?

Good luck

The statement that "federal law" determines who may or may not pass through security is highly problematic. Do you have a citation to the U.S. Code or the Code of Federal Regulations? You're perilously close to sounding like a flight attendant who makes things up and attributes them to "federal law" or "the FAA." :rolleyes:

Moreover, let's suppose that "federal law" determines who may or may not pass security, and "federal law" says that people with boarding passes or gate passes issued by airlines may pass through security. Then, effectively, the airline is among those who "make decisions" about those who pass through secutiry, subject of course to the no-fly list (though I'm not sure that the no-fly list even applies to gate passes, as a practical matter. Loophole, anyone?).

Taking that into account, the question was whether the airline issues gate passes to visit the lounge with a coupon for the lounge in lieu of a membership. And the "valid" reasons you list are far from exhaustive; Presidents Club members may routinely get gate passes without any reason except climing to have a "meeting."

Welcome to Flyertalk.

ContinentalFan Dec 2, 2006 2:09 am

Good luck

Welcome to FT!

The OP is actually correct. A PC member can actually get access to the Club even if he or she is not flying. You have to ask for a pass at check-in. I'd even suggest calling ahead--a day or two before--as many CO employees aren't aware that access is granted for those who aren't flying.

worldwidetraveler Dec 2, 2006 8:27 am

My successful experience

A couple of months ago I went to the CO check-in counter (Elite)at terminal C and showed the rep a Prestige Pack coupon. I politely explained I was going to meet my son connecting thru IAH. The fellow said "no problem" and gave me a security pass. It worked out just great & we did visit the PC in E.^ !

uthornsgo Dec 3, 2006 8:21 am

Originally Posted by nancy61 (Post 6779361)
The "Flyertalk" solution is to buy a fully refundable ticket so you can pass through security, then have it refunded at the club right before you leave.

This is the easiest solution to your problems. I would never waste time with standing in line to get a gate pass and risk someone not knowing it could be done.

Get a $200 last minute, fully refundable roundtrip ticket (I say roundtrip because a one way ticket could bring about an SSS which would slow her down at security) to San Antonio or Dallas or Austin or wherever the day before your visit with your son, check in online and print out your wife's boarding pass, then go online and have the ticket refunded. If you do this all within a few hours at the 24 hour mark before her "flight", your card will never be charged. She'll have a boarding pass to get through security, nobody will be harmed, and the family will have a nice little reunion in the P Club. Continental would never advocate this, but you would actually be saving the time of an agent that could otherwise be helping someone that is traveling rather than getting you a gate pass or wasting everyone's time when they didn't know they could get you a gate pass.

Just my two cents...

SteveHK Jan 13, 2007 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan (Post 6781191)
Welcome to FT!

The OP is actually correct. A PC member can actually get access to the Club even if he or she is not flying. You have to ask for a pass at check-in. I'd even suggest calling ahead--a day or two before--as many CO employees aren't aware that access is granted for those who aren't flying.

Sorry for my mistake, it's good to know.

kilo Jan 14, 2007 6:59 am

Good luck

In these days of supposedly more thorough screening, allowing any and everyone through security would probably mean longer queues and delays to those actually travelling.