Wiki Posts
Search

CO elite next year?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: nada
CO elite next year?

I've been thinking of going for CO elite next year (silver, unless something were to change) and would like some opinions on it....mostly along the lines of "what is it worth?/what will it actually get me?"

I'm almost always flying on discount economy. However, I've been flying CO for most of my travel (based from IAH before and now NYC, but back in IAH for the period I would be elite). I have several big trips I'm working on planning for next year, and I'd like to know if it is worthwhile to spend a few bucks extra on each of the tickets knowing I'll get elite for it.

The trips (roughly in order):
NYC-->europe (7k miles)
NYC-->NRT/SIN (13k)
NYC-->SEA (5k)
NYC-->IAH (3k)
NYC-->SCL (??....10k?)

all of those planned would be before the end of next summer. Clearly, I could fly CO and get elite. The total price difference for flying CO (and CO qualifiying flights, specifically) would probably run me a $200(?). Is it worth the difference to have elite? I don't plan on traveling much (maybe 6-10 cross country RT between fall 07-end 08). If I'm flying on discount economy, would I be seeing any upgrades ever or probably not?

thanks
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:18 pm
Suspended

I would think about NW. The 330's, if they are on your routes, are very nicely equipped. NW also offer bonuses for certain routings and you'll get benefits on CO anyways. Your chances of being upgraded domestically on NW if you're an NW status member and much better.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
If you care about upgrades and don't mind connecting, choose NW. As a CO Silver, you'll have barely any chance of an upgrade on IAH-West Coast and EWR-West Coast flights. NW can take you to Europe and Asia, as well.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

yes, I noticed some of the flights I've been looking at are NW codeshare too. The reason I'd go for CO is because after I earn elite, I'd be in IAH again and that would pretty much render the NW membership useless for all of 08. Plus, I already have miles built up on CO and would like to avoid spreading my miles around too much.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Also, after I am back in IAH, flights would probably be focused on SLC, some europe, some central/south america and maybe some west coast....but no general pattern or anything along those lines.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:20 pm
Suspended

"The reason I'd go for CO is because after I earn elite, I'd be in IAH again and that would pretty much render the NW membership useless for all of 08."

NW members get upgraded on CO. You would also get elite access to security, priority boarding, seat availability, etc.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:09 am

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
No doubt about NW if you are Silver

Originally Posted by CO 1E
If you care about upgrades and don't mind connecting, choose NW. As a CO Silver, you'll have barely any chance of an upgrade on IAH-West Coast and EWR-West Coast flights. NW can take you to Europe and Asia, as well.
The only way a Silver on CO is going to get the transcon upgrade is to buy a full Y fare. Heck, as a Platinum, I don't book anything less than an H fare on those routes because the liklihood of getting the upgrade on anything like an N, K, L or, worse, the super dicsounted calsses of I, O, and X ain't going to happen. In fact, the last transcon I did from EWRSFO I booked a full A which was, believe it or not, cheaper than a H fare to IAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.