FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   BF vs DL BusinessElite to TLV (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/613375-bf-vs-dl-businesselite-tlv.html)

Stripe Oct 16, 2006 10:02 am

BF vs DL BusinessElite to TLV

I know there are other threads out there comparing BF and DL's BE, although I can't find recent ones.

Our family of 4 will fly in business class from AUS to TLV (and return) in March. We can fly CO via EWR or DL via ATL, both on the late evening flights. I have had good experiences with BF to various European destinations and Hawaii, but have never flown DL's BusinessElite.

DL has a slightly better schedule and is about $200 cheaper on the days we want. Neither ATL or EWR would be my first choice as a place to connect but that's the choice. As a plat, I would get only a 100% mileage bonus on DL, versus 125% on CO. And I would prefer CO's F to DL's on the domestic legs.

I would be grateful for any relevant experience or comments from others, especially for the TLV flights. I'm interested in all aspects of service (ground ops in TLV, lounges, food, IFE, seats, FA service, condition of planes).

ijgordon Oct 16, 2006 12:25 pm

$200 cheaper per person? I can't imagine that DL's service, onboard or ground, is far enough below the level of CO's that I would spend an extra $800. But maybe if you can afford 4 J tix to TLV you don't care about the money... ;)

I assume DL is flying the 777, so the hard product would be somewhat more comparable to CO, as opposed to DL's very narrow 767 seats. But it may come down to personal preference on this as to whether you prefer a "regular" recliner seat on DL, or one of the lie-flat-at-an-angle seats on CO, with an extra 5" of legroom/pitch on DL.

In terms of the bonus miles, I calculate that you'd get approximately an extra 3,300 miles by going via EWR considering the extra elite bonus, partially offset by a slightly more direct route. The $200 extra (assuming per ticket) thus translates into $0.06 per extra mile, not a particularly attractive proposition. For $50 a ticket, the bonus miles are a good buy.

One factor that would argue in DL's favor is that I'd generally rather spend more time in international J than domestic F, and ATL-TLV is longer than EWR-TLV, while AUS-EWR is longer than AUS-ATL. Also gives you a little extra time for sleeping.

joshua3 Oct 16, 2006 12:55 pm

i've heard great reports from people flown bizelite to TLV that it was a great flight. these are on DL's B777's which are pretty new & decked out. unlike CO's B767 Biz which many prefer over DL's 767, the biz on DL's 777 is compareable to better than CO's.

from your post it seems DL's pro's are:
200$ cheaper, better connection.
VS.
25% more extra miles, preference to CO's domestic F.

consider that
ATL-TLV is +/- 12 hrs (return +/- 15)
EWR-TLV is +/- 10 hrs. (return +/- 12)

choosing DL would also give you a longer leb of the biz portion of your ticket.

nikbruno Oct 16, 2006 1:01 pm

Not worth $200 or $800. Fly Delta ^

elitefreak Oct 17, 2006 7:54 am

Read my poste - here is the title, I don:t know how to hyperlink

CO Plat critiques DL BE vs CO BF to NRT

apirchik Oct 17, 2006 8:02 am

CO Plat critiques DL BE vs CO BF to NRT

apirchik Oct 17, 2006 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Stripe

I'm interested in all aspects of service (ground ops in TLV, lounges, food, IFE, seats, FA service, condition of planes).

In short:
Ground ops in TLV - Slightly better on CO but very similar.
lounges - All airlines but LY use the same Dan lounge in TLV.
Food - slightly better on DL
IFE - Much better on CO - larger screen and better variety of movies and programs.
Seats - I like CO seats better
FA service - About the same
Condition of planes - Slightly better on DL. More restrooms on CO.

sbm12 Oct 17, 2006 2:45 pm

I don't know about the AUS-ATL route, but the AUS-EWR route is routinely very delayed. The wholle aspect of actualyl getting where you are going may be applicable in the decision making process.

sushibear Oct 18, 2006 12:21 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't know about the AUS-ATL route, but the AUS-EWR route is routinely very delayed. The wholle aspect of actualyl getting where you are going may be applicable in the decision making process.

That reason alone would lead me to DL. I have never been on the AUS/EWR flight when it wasn't running late.

apirchik Oct 18, 2006 12:51 am

Have you considered doing AUS-IAH-AMS-TLV on KLM? - although TLV-AMS on KLM is nothing to write home about in C and the connection times could not be worse, KLM has IAH-AMS C only flights which should be a great experience.

martinplas Oct 18, 2006 5:27 am

Originally Posted by apirchik
Have you considered doing AUS-IAH-AMS-TLV on KLM? - although TLV-AMS on KLM is nothing to write home about in C and the connection times could not be worse, KLM has IAH-AMS C only flights which should be a great experience.

If EQM are important to you,they wont be had on KLM,s all C product

monitor Oct 19, 2006 8:18 pm

Did both of them last month, CO EWR-TLV and DL TLV-ATL. IMO DL wins this one hands down. Even with the old seats on the 777, DL's are much more comfortable and adjustable than the junk that someone sold CO for their 777s.

The FAs on DL are head and shoulders more accomodating and service oriented than those on CO (and I have flown this route before and both of these companies on other Transat routes many times). This may be a legacy of the merger with PanAm and when you see what appears to be an elderly FA on DL, you can expect to get the best service offered by any American carrier. There is a culture of service on DL that has to a large extent been passed down from these ancients to the newer people. Take advantage of it.

I am not very interested in the IFE so I will make no comment on that but am on record in the DL forum that the food has recently improved markedly and generally is much better than that of CO. Additionally CO should be ashamed of the plonk that they represent to be wine service. DL's is not great, but an effort is made to provide drinkable wine that does not cost them too many dollars.

The lounges are not to be compared. CO has those very nice spacious PCs at EWR but the DL BizElite Lounge at ATL, tho small, is comfortable enough and has food service hot and cold, something that CO does not provide anywhere.

As all can see, I believe that on the 777 service, DL wins on every count. If you are talking about 767 service, there is no question that the seats provided by CO are so far superior to DLs that all other factors are insignificant and they can have whatever reasonable premium they care to charge for them.

geoffco Oct 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Thanks for the encouraging report montior. I'm flying DL in BE to TLV and back in December. First time in BE and first time to TLV. Seemed like a good value for 120k miles (vs 240k or $1800 for H class on CO :rolleyes: ). I've been sort of skeptical of what to expect on DL, but am now looking forward to it.