Latin America in 2007: What's next?

Old Oct 16, 06, 8:37 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum, Emirates Gold, Flying Blue Gold
MBM3 - may you get what you wish for. There was a delegation at IAH from the city (??) of Minatitlan. Dirty great oil projects seem to be appealing to CO, and MTT has plenty of them.
Old Dec 3, 06, 3:07 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
I'm surprised I missed. this thread. OK, I'll offer some thoughts:

-- IAH-HMO to link the AM hub?? Not sure how many connectors the flight would capture due to timings, but it may work.

-- IAH-CUL. If DL can justify CUL with local traffic from LAX, CO can fill part of an RJ.

-- IAH-BAQ or CTG: As mentioned before, I'm sure there are enough CA/west connectors to make it work., at least a few times a week Maybe run it as an Aerorepublica codeshare to get around the regs??? If need be due to lack of equipment, even a red-eye turn may work.

-- IAH-OAX: European/other Tourist traffic? 1-stop to Puerto Escondido???

-- Something with the 762 EWR-GRU. Anything. Aircraft wastes the entire day on the ground. Here's a kinda crazy thought: how about some kind of 1-stop EWR to Africa? With GRU so far east, it doesn't make much sense to do a 1 stop to, say, SCL via GRU. Upon further research, JNB is closer to GRU than LIS, the closest European gateway. GRU-JNB is 4630 miles, and GRU-CPT is 3940. SAA has the JNB flight blocked at 9 hours eastbound, 10 hours westbound; CPT would save about 90 min. each way. If CO tweaks the schedules, then with 7.5 hours EB to CPT and 8.5 hours WB back, they can maybe do CPT without needing an extra aircraft. Current ground time in GRU is about 12 hours.
-- EZE-MVD is low hanging fruit. I wonder if EZE-ASU may be a possibility: very limited service from the US already, and very high fares.

Search this Thread