Not enough 772s? And stuff about CO99 EWR-HKG

Old Oct 11, 06, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Not enough 772s? And stuff about CO99 EWR-HKG

My parents and cousins are on today's CO99 EWR-HKG, and the flight is running an hour late. If you've checked flight status during the delay, co.com will say it's waiting for incoming aircraft. Really?

Well, I did a little investigative work. CO99 was waiting for CO98 to come in from HKG to Gate 132. CO98 was scheduled to arrive at 2pm, and was only about 15 minutes late. They couldn't have scheduled an one-hour turn-around time between 15.5-hour ultra-longhauls. So, they must be missing another plane.

I looked at the other 772 arrivals. TLV and DEL both arrived early (but those have probably gone out to NRT and PEK already). LGW, like HKG, was running only a few minutes late. But CDG was 3 hours late.

So, I guess they were supposed to use the CDG aircraft for CO99's 3pm departure, but have to use the HKG arrival and hurry up the turnaround.

What I am really surprised is that they don't have another 772 ready at EWR for things like this. During the operations tour at the last DO, I asked about that, and it was shown real-time that they have 2 772s on standby at EWR that day. But I guess they have none today.

So where have the planes gone? Right now the schedule for the 772s are about the same as during the peak summer period. Except FRA is back to 764, and I believe that extra 772 is at HKG going through heavy maintenance. But still, it shows how hard CO are flying their 772s.

---

One other thing... CO99's BF cabin is booked solid these days, before the Canton Fair. But even economoy is basically all full. I think there are 2 empty seats on today's flight. There's never a "Z" fare on this route, and cheapest fares in economy has gone up to ~$1,300 when booking "B" fare on co.com or $1,000 when booking "Q" through a consolidator. A solid $200 over last year.

YET, they still only fly this route 6 times a week. I am sure they won't have problem filling up another flight for most time of the year.

---

Anyways, hope the answers to the above lie in the 2 new 772s coming next spring. Apart from EWR-PVG, I don't think CO needs to start any new 772 routes. Just beef up and better support the existing ones will be pretty good.
Old Oct 11, 06, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rkkwan

So where have the planes gone? .
Military or other charters?
Old Oct 11, 06, 7:50 pm

... Apart from EWR-PVG, I don't think CO needs to start any new 772 routes. Just beef up and better support the existing ones will be pretty good....
Goodness. A one hour delay puts you into a tizzy. Can't wait to see your reaction and proposals when you endure a TWO hour delay!
Old Oct 11, 06, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doobierw
Goodness. A one hour delay puts you into a tizzy. Can't wait to see your reaction and proposals when you endure a TWO hour delay!
Haha... CO99 being late is nothing new. The flight gets in HKG in the evening and sits there overnight, so it's really no big deal. Getting to a hotel at 8pm or 9pm is of little consequence.

I'm just surprised that they use the same plane for CO98 and then CO99. This is certainly not standard procedure, and that's why I'm curious. That's all.
Old Oct 11, 06, 11:56 pm

Programs: CO
Well I know that the aircraft typically comes in from CDG as I was told this by the pilot on my trip to HKG last month, but certain days the arriving aircraft from HKG goes right back. I'm sure there's a reason for it - aircraft scheduling, maintenance etc..

CO would not have a 777 just sitting there to sub in to prevent a flight from leaving late. Aircraft on the ground don't make $$$ plus it would screw up their schedule.
Old Oct 12, 06, 8:41 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta Gold, Cathay Pacific Diamond, SPG plat.
I flew this on april 9th for a mile run. My plane landed in hkg around 630 or so...and it sat there to take me home on the 1030am or so flight back. So at least then it was the same flight but when we landed in erw the peter max 777 was doing the flight back. I was on the plane with gordan written on the front.
Old Oct 12, 06, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jetboy787
I was on the plane with gordan written on the front.
huh?
Old Oct 12, 06, 12:24 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
There's a thread on airliners.net about the Peter Max plane that's pretty enlightening as to what the 772 routings are.
Old Oct 12, 06, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Gold, Avis First, HH Silver
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
huh?
CO "rechristened" their 1st 777 as "Gordon M. Bethune". It's written in small letters just underneath the cheatline, right underneath the SkyTeam logo near the cockpit. You can see it pretty easily in the large version of this picture.
Old Oct 12, 06, 2:14 pm

CO may have been short a 777 at EWR due to scheduled maintenance checks. Obviously it is best to not keep spare planes sitting around but there needs to be at least one spare for emergencies and maintenace. One of the few reasons that CO would actually want to merge with UA is that UA has 50 772s and 30 744s versus COs 18 (soon to be 20) 772s.
Old Oct 12, 06, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AADC10
One of the few reasons that CO would actually want to merge with UA is that UA has 50 772s and 30 744s versus COs 18 (soon to be 20) 772s.
CO just loves those 4-engine planes... And what kind of engines to UA's 772s have -- are they GE?
Old Oct 12, 06, 4:35 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ijgordon
CO just loves those 4-engine planes... And what kind of engines to UA's 772s have -- are they GE?
Nope - they're PW powered. UA's "hearts" P&W engines.

Also not all UA 772 are the ER model.
Old Oct 12, 06, 4:46 pm

Programs: EVA AIR Gold
Smile

[QUOTE=rkkwan]My parents and cousins are on today's CO99 EWR-HKG, and the flight is running an hour late. If you've checked flight status during the delay, co.com will say it's waiting for incoming aircraft. Really?

Just to let u know that the company had a few Milatary and Baseball charters quite often by using 772.That must be why the 772 were short and showed waiting for incoming flight.
Old Oct 12, 06, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am looking at the schedules on the 772 routes once again at both IAH and EWR.

At EWR, there are currently 8 routes using the 772. First arrival is 4:35a from DEL, and last arrival is 5:30p from PEK. First departure is NRT at 11:10a, and last departure is the late TLV at 10:50p. No plane needs to overnight there and that'd account for 8 of the 18 planes.

At IAH, the four arrivals are at 1:40p, 1:55p, 4:20p and 4:30p; departures are at 10:50a, 3:45p, 6:40p and 6:45p. This means they have to have at least one plane overnight there. This account for 5 planes.

Add another plane that sits overnight at HKG.

So, the current schedule requires a total of 14 planes if everything's running smoothly with no backup. During the past peak summer, add another plane for EWR-FRA, or 15 total.

I know there should be at least one 772 at HKG going through heavy maintenance right now. But where are the other 3 aircrafts? More in HKG? Or at heavy maintenance at IAH/EWR or somewhere else? Charter? How many should be in "standby" at any time at IAH and EWR for backup?

Again, just curious. That's all.

---

About the charters, yes, I know that CO has some contracts. But domestic sports charter almost always use 738 (and 752 occassionally). Military charters I've seen their flights showing up at Germany, North Carolina, Guantanamo etc... But just how often do they run them?
Old Oct 12, 06, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Gold, Avis First, HH Silver
I am looking at the schedules on the 772 routes once again at both IAH and EWR.
8 routes, or 8 flights? Remember TLV gets 2 a day, with one sitting overnight. Not sure about other routes, but multiple freq's there could be soaking up your missing airframes.

Search this Thread