Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO's wonderful knowledge of Airbus :) (Aug mag.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G

Hi Everyone!
I just read through the August issue of Continental magazine - did anyone notice that in the article about GE, they mention the Airbus 8350? No wonder Continental bought 787s
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:46 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Sounds like a dictation error... A350 sounds like "Eight 350".
Old Sep 2, 2006, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G
That's a good theory - it's probably why they wrote it.
I thought it might have been a typo, but mistaking A for 8 is pretty hard.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL NW
Probably exactly it, but dictatation or not, there's no excuse for someone in the airline industry to mistake this new beast for an Airbus 8350!! Hahaha.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Many airline magazines are outsourced to publishing companies. UA does this. I don't know if CO does...
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:17 pm

Programs: CO Plat(soon Premier Gold) PC lifetime(UC Life?) SPG Plat(Soon Gold)
September issue, at the end of article titled "CRUISE CONTROL" (The List), page titled "TAKE THE WHEEL" - it says:
"...Honda-owned Suzuka Circuit, which this month hosts Round 6 of the D1 Grand Prix Series..."

D is next to F on the keyboard...
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:03 am
G23

whats funny there is in Japan there is something called D1 grand prix, its just a differant type of event called Drifting..lol
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by JBLUA320
Hi Everyone!
I just read through the August issue of Continental magazine - did anyone notice that in the article about GE, they mention the Airbus 8350? No wonder Continental bought 787s
It could explain the delays in the A380. If Airbus engineers are spending time on this A8350, it's bound to reduce resources on other, more pressing programs (by connecting the dots, I estimate that the A8350 won't be flying until 2670 at the earliest). Maybe they'll get the A380 back on track if they move the teams from the A8350 program--it could mean a delay of a few months, but since Southwest will probably be the only airline around in 2670, it won't matter, they'll still be flying B737's built by their Boeing subsidiary.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by G23
whats funny there is in Japan there is something called D1 grand prix, its just a differant type of event called Drifting..lol
Tokyo Drift?
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by PforPlatinum
September issue, at the end of article titled "CRUISE CONTROL" (The List), page titled "TAKE THE WHEEL" - it says:
"...Honda-owned Suzuka Circuit, which this month hosts Round 6 of the D1 Grand Prix Series..."

D is next to F on the keyboard...
Who knows? Maybe in another of Larry Kellner's inspired cost-cutting moves, the copy editor was let go at the inflight magazine..
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:46 am

Continental Magazine

First off, thank you for reading Continental Magazine. We hope that you enjoy the mix of informative and entertaining editorial that goes into each issue.

We are sorry to admit that, despite a fairly exhaustive fact checking and proofreading process, we allowed the Airbus error to print. While we did confirm this and other facts with a representative from GE, it appears that this dictation error introduced by the writer got past several editors (who knew it should have been the A350) and into the final magazine. Our humblest apologies for that.

As for the reported error in the September issue, the D1 Grand Prix Series is indeed correct, despite the coincidental proximity of the letter D to the letter F on the keyboard.

Still, despite the gaffe we have decided to retain our copyeditor as well as the rest of our staff, as they catch far more errors than they miss. But we all not only appreciate you reading the magazine, but also how closely you read it.

Best,
jpp

John Patrick Pullen
Associate Editor
Continental Magazine
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Hello Mr. Pullen, and Welcome to FT! :-:

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for your presence here at FlyerTalk. CO's continued presence here on the boards is one of the reasons that I continue to fly CO, and I'm sure that many here feel the same way. ^

I appreciate you replying to this thread, and please feel free to chime in anytime!

Regards,

theblakefish
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: CO Plat(soon Premier Gold) PC lifetime(UC Life?) SPG Plat(Soon Gold)
Welcome

Hi jpp, welcome to FT !

Originally Posted by ContinentalMagazine
As for the reported error in the September issue, the D1 Grand Prix Series is indeed correct, despite the coincidental proximity of the letter D to the letter F on the keyboard.
Oh, my bad. Thank you for correcting me.
This tells the Continental Magazine is worth reading (for me).

Thank you,
PforPlatinum
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:22 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Hello Mr. Pullen, and Welcome to FT! :-:

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for your presence here at FlyerTalk. CO's continued presence here on the boards is one of the reasons that I continue to fly CO, and I'm sure that many here feel the same way. ^

I appreciate you replying to this thread, and please feel free to chime in anytime!

Regards,

theblakefish
I second that emotion. Thank you for posting here, Mr. Pullen. I do believe that one of the greatest things this forum has done is it has enabled us frequent travelers (and not-so-frequent travelers) connect us with Continental.
vdostoi1
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:39 pm

The pleasure is all mine, and thank you all for the warm welcome.

So you know, we also welcome reader mail through our website www.continental.com/magazine. It's a great way for us to receive feedback on articles, and we print letters to the editor in each issue. Letters can be critical of the magazine or praise it (obviously we prefer the latter), but we also sometimes print items concerning other issues you'd like to share with your fellow CO passengers.

Best,
jpp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.