Passport to expire 6 months from today

Old Aug 20, 2006, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Passport to expire 6 months from today

My 15 year old's passport is (surprise!!) expiring in 6 months and I had wanted her to accompany me on trip to Israel early this week. Will Continental stop her from travelling with me in Newark? Will Tel Aviv prevent her from entering the country? Appreciate advise and solutions. Expeditor needs 2 business days.Thanks kindly.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
You need to check the rules that Israel employs. Some countries only require that the passport is valid for the duration of your stay. I have visited countries in Europe, for example, with just four weeks left on the passport. I suggest you contact Continental directly and find out what the rules are. You many also be able to get information on the Continental website.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: CO silver
canceled msg sent in error

sent in error
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:39 pm

I came damn close to missing a flight to MUC via AMS because my passport was under 6 months before expiration. Had I not been connecting onward, CO was obligated to deny me boarding due to Dutch law.

I am unsure as to Israel's rules, but I wouldnt chance it unless you are 100% positive.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by plainchick
My 15 year old's passport is (surprise!!) expiring in 6 months and I had wanted her to accompany me on trip to Israel early this week. Will Continental stop her from travelling with me in Newark? Will Tel Aviv prevent her from entering the country? Appreciate advise and solutions. Expeditor needs 2 business days.Thanks kindly.
I don't know where you are starting from, but in LA, NYC, and Miami, you used to be able to get a passport the same day you were traveling.

I'm not sure if you still can, but it's worth checking...

Good luck! Let us know what happens!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
/ 21AUG06 / 0839 UTC

National U.S.A. (US) /Embarkation U.S.A. (US)
Destination ISRAEL (IL)

ISRAEL (IL)

Passport (must be valid at least 6 months beyond period of
intended stay) required.

Visa not required for a stay of max. 3 months.

If being former national of Israel, passenger must show written

proof from Israeli Authorities abroad that Israeli nationality

has been given up.
If failing to do so, please see: For details, click here - item 3.

Visitor must hold return/onward ticket and sufficient funds.

Non-compliance with entry regulations may result in deportation

of passenger.

WARNING: It is a mandatory requirement that passengers holding
Palestinian documents arriving in Tel Aviv, must have

originally departed Israel from Tel Aviv and not from airports
in Egypt or Jordan. If passengers departed from Egypt or
Jordan, they must also return through the airport of origin.
Passengers are subject to deportation if this requirement in

not met.

If travelling from Israel to an Arab country other than Egypt,
Jordan or United Arab Emirates, passengers should ensure that
their passports do not contain Israeli visa or stamps.

For travel to/from occupied territory/Jordan, please see:
For details, click here - item 2.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:06 am

Programs: CO - silver, dl plat, spg plat, Marriot plat
While nothing is certain or guranteed until you try to board, or land in Israel, I do have friends who have flown over here and entered on a passport that has less than 6 months validity left to it. You can also try to claim that you called up and were told that you can renew it in Israel.

Something else you might try is to make the claim, if you are jewish that you are eligible to make aliyah (immigrate to israel). Technically if you fit into this catagory you dont need any passport when you get there, as you can apply for aliyah before going through immigration and will get new documents before you leave the airport.

I once had a similar but different issue. I was flying KLM on a one way ticket EWR-AMS-TLV. In AMS I was told that I was being denied boarding, on the flight ot TLV, due to the fact that I only hold a US passport and the rules were that I needed to show a ticket that showed that I was going to exit Israel. I was forced to purchase a one-way return from Israel to the US, fully refundable. When contacting the KLM office in TLV I was given a full refund, including the $35 fee, becuase I could claim that I was indeed able to declare aliyah upon arrival and a return ticket was not needed.

Try contacting the Israeli consulate and see if they can give you a letter stating that you will be ok.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:49 am

The thing to remember is that this is not "An Airline Rule".

This is what the destination county is saying they require to enter their country. If airlines send passengers without the required documents, the customer is subject to deportation and the airline is subject to a hefty fine.

All the Best!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by dgilman
I don't know where you are starting from, but in LA, NYC, and Miami, you used to be able to get a passport the same day you were traveling.

Can vouch for Chicago -- I assume the other passport offices are the same way.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:48 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by dgilman

In NYC, you can do so within 14 days of your travel, and you’ll have to provide the proof of your travel on that date. There is an 800 # that sets up appointments. At this time of year, really any time of year, its gets very busy, so it’s best to phone early in the morning (7AM or so) on the day 14 days out and go thru the menu to find an available appointment. If you can’t get one by phone, you can go down to the office for a next day passport, but it’s not as simple a process. Make sure you have everything you need with you.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You can no longer obtain a passport the same day with any amount of ease (if at all). The NYC passport office only issues passports for those traveling within 14 days and it now operates by appointment only. Details here. Many other passport agencies in large cities work the same way. In the recent past I've found it impossible to get a same-day appointment when trying to help firends.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: CO One Pass, Lifetime PC, 1/5 to 1M
I was once trying to help someone get a passport after the death of a family member overseas. I found that contacting the office of your representative or senator can sometimes be an aid in the process.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:36 pm
Suspended

It isn't exactly the most peaceful place around these days anyways. Maybe its all for the best.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by thegeneral
It isn't exactly the most peaceful place around these days anyways. Maybe its all for the best.
I was on a three day vacation in Tel Aviv last month (part of my RTW) and the only not peaceful thing was the half an hour questioning when I arrived at the immigration. Would not hesitate to go back even during some disturbance as long as missiles aren't hitting Tel Aviv.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:07 pm

depending on your cirty you can definetely get a passport that same day. i didnt realize that my passport was expiring in a month after my trip to london, amsterdam, paris and brussels.

I called the 800 number for the US passport office and they tld me that every country was different but that as a rule, airlines should not allow you to board if it expires in less than 3 months.

go to google and type, "united states passport office." go to their official website and see if there is an office in your city. if there is, you will have to make an apnt on an automated system. if you actually get and appnt you will be able to get the passport that day. its an additional $60 and be prepared to wait all day. you will need proof that you are traveling with in the next 1 days. in my case it was the next two days. you will also need to bring a passport photo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.