Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embraer RJ145 Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO-Plat, DL Plat, AA Gold, US Air Silver, Hertz Gold, Marriott, SPG Gold, Avis,
Embraer RJ145 Seat Question

I am flying TUS-IAH-SDF tomorrow. All on RJ145's. I orginally had seat 2 A for both legs but decided to switch to 12 B for both legs due to the exit row. Is this a smart move? Is there that much more room in the exit row on these RJ145's? I know with 2 A, I at least got the aisle and it was less crowded. What do you FT's think?

-ZBJ
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by zjacoby
I am flying TUS-IAH-SDF tomorrow. All on RJ145's. I orginally had seat 2 A for both legs but decided to switch to 12 B for both legs due to the exit row. Is this a smart move? Is there that much more room in the exit row on these RJ145's? I know with 2 A, I at least got the aisle and it was less crowded. What do you FT's think?

-ZBJ
Welcome to FT.

I think you should read www.seatguru.com and do a search, since this topic has been discussed. Let us know how your flights were.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold

-ZBJ
It depends on whether you prefer more legroom or to have no one sitting next to you. But no matter what, it was a smart move (unless you end up with a POS in 12C!).
Old Aug 7, 2006, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO-Plat, DL Plat, AA Gold, US Air Silver, Hertz Gold, Marriott, SPG Gold, Avis,
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Welcome to FT.

I think you should read www.seatguru.com and do a search, since this topic has been discussed. Let us know how your flights were.
I checked www.seatguru.com, a while ago and that's why I moved to the exit row. I am wondering what people who fly that jet regularly think.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 1:43 pm

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
I fly many RJ’s annually, and 12A is my favorite seat. 12B is the best seat on the plane (we’re talking 145’s of course) as long as there is no one in 12C. When 12A is not available, I will take a cramped seat alone in the A aisle over a shared seat in 12B. Your personal tastes and physical stature will help determine your preference.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Facevalue
I fly many RJ’s annually, and 12A is my favorite seat. 12B is the best seat on the plane (we’re talking 145’s of course) as long as there is no one in 12C. When 12A is not available, I will take a cramped seat alone in the A aisle over a shared seat in 12B. Your personal tastes and physical stature will help determine your preference.
I agree with this too. If you are expecting turbulance, I've found the ride a bit smoother forward of the wing though. I know others here have mentioned they don't like 12A because of the short arm rest and the window being slightly forward than on the regular seats. If leg room is what you want, then row 12 has more than enough.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 2:40 pm

-ZBJ
I choose 12B every time or 12A[single side ] The leg room is more than in coach on the mainline jets. If you are gate checking your bag then it is perfect timing because offloading from row 12 means most bags are out or close to being out. Row 2, you get out quick but have to crowd around on the jetway. On the other hand if you have a heart attack special[land in IAH, terminal B and have to get to E22 with a 30 minute connect time then I choose row 2 and no gate checked bag. Butr overall row 12 is about the most comfortable seat on that lovely Barbie Dream Jet.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
I almost always select 12A when booking the ticket. Then at check-in, depending on the load, if both 12 B & C are still open, sometimes I roll the dice, go with 12B and hope C stays empty.

2A is no better than any other A seat. If row 12 is completely taken, I try for 1A.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 2:49 pm

Programs: US CP
I ALWAYS pick 12A on the RJ145 if travelling alone.

It's my favorite.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"

-ZBJ
When forced I go with 12A. But the best tactic is to book away from the RJ, I don't like the TUS-IAH ride on the toothpaste tube. I see during some periods in the fall this isn't possible: 4 daily TUS-IAH services, ALL ERJ! But then, sometime in the winter, the schedule ramps up to 1*733, 3*735 including the seasonal EWR redeye service, and one RJ.

There's always the solitary daily redtail 319. It's OK leaving TUS but returning is no fun. Departing anywhere east means a 4am reveille to make the connection to 884 in MSP.

So. 4am reveille or the COEX RJ (12 A or not)? That is the question.

RTS
Old Aug 7, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Mariott Plat, National Exec. Elite, Hilton plywood elite, P-Club!
Thumbs up Abso-fraggin-lutely!

The legroom advantage is around 8 inches and the seats do recline (though admittedly, the RJ recline is only about 3-4 inches). You should like it.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I too nab 12A; if it's gone I nab 1A. Row 12 gives the most legroom on the ER145's.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I too nab 12A; if it's gone I nab 1A. Row 12 gives the most legroom on the ER145's.
I'm a 2A guy, and I'm 6-1. That far up you can put your feet in the aisle and not worry, and you don't have to worry about the FA/cart/passengers bumping into you (unless I squish myself against the window, my shoulders spill into the aisle a bit).
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by Mile-Hor
I'm a 2A guy, and I'm 6-1. That far up you can put your feet in the aisle and not worry, and you don't have to worry about the FA/cart/passengers bumping into you (unless I squish myself against the window, my shoulders spill into the aisle a bit).
I don't understand 2A. Why wouldn't you go with 1A?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:52 am

Cold Feet

One thing to keep in mind when sitting upfront in an ERJ (usually seats 1A-3A) is that the temperature there is sometimes significantly cooler than the rest of the aircraft.

I've been flying ERJs exclusively for the last 2 years (lucky me) and I avoid 1A-3A whenever possible because of this. I've discussed this with the FAs, who uniformly agree that it's much cooler upfront.

12B is a nice seat, though as others pointed out 12A is pretty good as well. You did well to change seats.

Last edited by dolcevita; Aug 9, 2006 at 12:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.