New BF R-class: 0% EQM

Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:39 am
Original Poster

New BF R-class: 0% EQM

I think it is a website misnomer.

Further, I noticed it is just a bit less expensive than Z-class. However, the ticket price in R class is exactly the same as Z class a couple of weeks ago. In other words, Z class just became a bit more expensive.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sic incognito
I think it is a website misnomer.

Further, I noticed it is just a bit less expensive than Z-class. However, the ticket price in R class is exactly the same as Z class a couple of weeks ago. In other words, Z class just became a bit more expensive.
Hunt around and you'll find some threads where people were actually complaining that Z fares were too low, particularly on the high-demand transcon routes, which often sell out in FC a week in advance. Still doesn't explain why CO needed to go from as many as 3 paid FC fares to 4, and still doesn't mean that there won't be any still-too-cheap R fares/availability on the transcons...
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm sure the 0% EQM is because the web site hasn't been updated to reflect the fact that R is a revenue class starting Sept 20.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I suspect that R is a separation of Z for non-stops, like I, W, X are the nonstop codes for S, T, L.

Z includes flights with connections - maybe R is nonstops?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Nope, both Z and R fares on non-stop Europe-US flights.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:19 pm

Programs: CO OP Serf
So, if you go to the page on qualifying for Elite status on CO.com, you'll see that as of 1/07, R class will earn 100 % RDMs and 150 % EQMs (although up until then, it earns a 150 % bonus for both), so it's basically the same as Y & H, except R is (only) intl. biz. class. Doesn't book for domestic travel. As another poster stated, R is slightly cheaper than Z There's a thread on this somewhere, but I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up. Just search for "r class" or "r bucket" in quotes and you should find what I'm talking about. Ciao y'all!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:26 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Here we go again!

What about flights in 2007 in "R" booked as the 'old' R a couple of months ago. Is CO going to be able to properly credit those as 150% EQMs?

I think back to the years it took CO to properly credit NW 'I' (upgraded WBC).

Well, I just checked my Feb 2007 reservation EWR-HKG. I booked an H class and upgraded with miles and no shows 0 EQMs.

Last edited by Vulcan; Aug 17, 2006 at 3:32 pm
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
What Continental really needs is a fare for international flights that prices as coach, but that upgrades the person to BF after the receipt is issued. Many companies won't approve a business fare--it's a way to get around this problem.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:18 am

Programs: CO Plat, HH DIA, Hertz 5*
I recently had a flight from IAH to EWR in R class. CO website showed the miles as 0. When the miles posted to my account I received the 150% bonus and the correct amount for elite status. This is probably just a website flaw.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:42 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I'm sure the 0% EQM is because the web site hasn't been updated to reflect the fact that R is a revenue class starting Sept 20.
For flights departing on or after 20-Sep 2006, flights booked in our new R class will earn 150% bonus miles and will also earn 150% EQMs until further notice. We're aware this is not showing correctly on continental.com and it will get corrected in an upcoming release.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:21 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I just received an email confirmation today for the Upgraded H fare I bought several months ago EWR-HKG in Feb 2007. The original confirmation showed 'R'. The one today has it changed to 'F'
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:47 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I just received an email confirmation today for the Upgraded H fare I bought several months ago EWR-HKG in Feb 2007. The original confirmation showed 'R'. The one today has it changed to 'F'
That's correct, Vulcan. All mileage upgrade reservations for 20-Sep 2006 onward that were originally booked in R have been switched to F class.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by CO Insider
We're aware this is not showing correctly on continental.com and it will get corrected in an upcoming release.
This was bugging me today -- it wasn't just the 0 EQMs, but every leg had two entries and no flight times, cities or anything else. So when I was booking something else on the phone I asked the agent to check it and she did something and it was all fixed a second later.

That made me feel better!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.