FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   10,000 miles for $43.90 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/577087-10-000-miles-43-90-a.html)

forextrader Jul 8, 2006 3:51 pm

10,000 miles for $43.90

Sign up for Earthlink Dial Up service for $21.95 per month for a minimum of 2 months ($43.90 total). Cancel service after 2 months.

You must sign up on the Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) Site - if you dont have a AGR membership number, get this first. Then register (free) for the double points promotion (July-Sep).

Earthlink sign up normally earns 5000 AGR points, but with the double points promotion you get 10,000 points.

AGR points can be converted to ONE PASS miles (1 point = 1 mile), so 10,000 miles.

Hope this is of use to some of you.

ContinentalFan Jul 8, 2006 5:34 pm

Sounds like a good deal to me! Earthlink isn't that bad either, but it's a pain to cancel service; they just keep bugging you to stay!

smoothtakeoff bumpylanding Jul 8, 2006 10:46 pm

can't be as bad as trying to cancel AOL :mad:

bumpmeplease Jul 14, 2006 9:59 am

Originally Posted by forextrader
Sign up for Earthlink Dial Up service for $21.95 per month for a minimum of 2 months ($43.90 total). Cancel service after 2 months.

You must sign up on the Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) Site - if you dont have a AGR membership number, get this first. Then register (free) for the double points promotion (July-Sep).

Earthlink sign up normally earns 5000 AGR points, but with the double points promotion you get 10,000 points.

AGR points can be converted to ONE PASS miles (1 point = 1 mile), so 10,000 miles.

Thanks. Works for me.

afang Jul 14, 2006 8:39 pm

I registered with this promo but is there a special link to get Earlink?

i can only see the standard 5000 pt sign on bonus from the the site..

soitgoes Jul 14, 2006 9:54 pm

No. First you register for the double/triple partner points bonus on the AGR website (which I presume you've done). Then you go to the AGR page describing the Earthlink (standard) promotions, pick the one you want to participate in, enter the code on the Earthlink website and sign-up. The points listed on the Earthlink sign-up page are the standard (non-doubled amounts). You should receive your 5K points from Earthlink first and then AGR should double them. Obviously, it is wise to save copies/screenshots of everything.

I signed up on 1 July and my second invoice should be coming on August 1. Hopefully I'll get the points soon after that; I'll try to post here to provide an update.

Originally Posted by afang
I registered with this promo but is there a special link to get Earlink?

i can only see the standard 5000 pt sign on bonus from the the site..

afang Jul 14, 2006 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
No. First you register for the double/triple partner points bonus on the AGR website (which I presume you've done). Then you go to the AGR page describing the Earthlink (standard) promotions, pick the one you want to participate in, enter the code on the Earthlink website and sign-up. The points listed on the Earthlink sign-up page are the standard (non-doubled amounts). You should receive your 5K points from Earthlink first and then AGR should double them. Obviously, it is wise to save copies/screenshots of everything.

I signed up on 1 July and my second invoice should be coming on August 1. Hopefully I'll get the points soon after that; I'll try to post here to provide an update.

Thanks for the info, this amtrak site is really strange as it doesn't really give a link to sign up for Earthlink.. I went to EL's website and the sign up is for 9.95/month for 4 months and then $21.95/month i guess this offer doesn't qualify for the Amtrak promo..it'd be nice to have a direct link from Amtrak..

Alright: i just joined EL with this Promo

One will have to enter the promo code 1023158 and the sign up page from EL will be different as it will not have the 9.95 intro offer but the 21.95. Also be sure to enter your Reward # and the site clearly shows what promo you are signing up 5000 pts after 2 invoices is mentioned

Hope this helps others

NYC1K Jul 15, 2006 1:27 am

Just did. Thanks. 10K miles towards CO award travel is like............auuugggh forget it.

NYC1K Jul 15, 2006 1:51 am

Originally Posted by forextrader

Where can I find out the information about the 1:1 conversion ratio for Amtrak points to CO One Pass Miles?

Thanks

afang Jul 15, 2006 7:00 am

Originally Posted by NYC1K
Where can I find out the information about the 1:1 conversion ratio for Amtrak points to CO One Pass Miles?

Thanks

https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/i...FS%40%24%20%0A

5000 pts to 5000 miles that is 1:1 to me

theblakefish Jul 15, 2006 11:33 am

This is a pretty good deal, at about $0.004/mile. I have a question on the transfer of points here. It appears that Amtrak will allow you to convert up to 25k/year, but it it can only be done in 5,000 increments? Why? :confused:

Good to see that Loews Hotels are on there -- they are a major hotel for my company but one of the few not affiliated with OnePass. ^

Boraxo Jul 15, 2006 11:46 am

Great deal as it would cost far more than $44 to fly 5000 BIS miles, even on a cheap transcon (and you would have to be elite to get 2x miles).

But I would rather convert the 10K Amtrak points into 20K HHonors points :)

rc408 Jul 15, 2006 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Great deal as it would cost far more than $44 to fly 5000 BIS miles, even on a cheap transcon (and you would have to be elite to get 2x miles).

But I would rather convert the 10K Amtrak points into 20K HHonors points :)

That's my plan. I checked out actual hotel costs vs using 20000 miles for a hotel night and the savings is a minimum of $40 after subtracting the cost of Earthlink. Sounds good to me. ^

Update: I checked Priceline and I can actually get a better class of hotel for less than the 20000 iles Hilton would need. I think I'll pass on this but it could definitely work for others. Thanks again OP!

soitgoes Jul 15, 2006 3:14 pm

One reason is probably that AGR doesn't want to be a points transfer program. (Accounts are closed without any train travel activity in a three year time span; AGR ended transfers into United perhaps to prevent transfers from CO to UA.)

It's also a 5,000 mile increment for transfers into AGR from CO and YX.

P.S. I'd also encourage some of you to think about keeping the points with Amtrak. AGR is currently running a 3K point sign-up bonus for new members (http://www.flyertalk.com/forums/show....php?t=575568), so with this promo it would be easy to get almost enough points to redeem for sleeper awards.

Originally Posted by theblakefish
This is a pretty good deal, at about $0.004/mile. I have a question on the transfer of points here. It appears that Amtrak will allow you to convert up to 25k/year, but it it can only be done in 5,000 increments? Why? :confused:

afrugal1 Jul 15, 2006 5:55 pm

"You must have an active EarthLink Internet service account paid in full for two (2) months to earn 5,000 Amtrak Guest Rewards points. Please allow 6-8 weeks after receipt of two (2) full month's service/payment for Amtrak Guest Rewards points to appear on your Amtrak guest Rewards statement."

Assuming that "active" means that one (1) must actually install this stuff to
fulfill T&Cs. :td: