What would YOU like to see in the PC?

Old Jul 1, 06, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
What would YOU like to see in the PC?

Another thread is talking about possible PC price hikes. I'm against it unless they change a few things. In your opinion, what exactly would YOU like changed in the clubs?

I'll start, as I pointed out in another thread- I think P.Clubs should have a soda fountain area like the NW clubs do. It would eliminate time at the bar for those of us who don't drink but must wait just to get a Diet Coke, and it would be available in the mornings, when many bars are not open. I don't know how many times I've had to flag down a PC employee who normally pretends he/she doesn't hear me, just to get them behind the bar for a Diet Coke. THEN I feel bad and tip a couple bucks, which really is a big reason I bought the membership for in the 1st place- free refreshments. I'm not against tipping, per se, but it seems silly to tip a buck everytime I get a tiny glass full of ice with a few sips of coke in it.

I also think they could upgrade the food served. The crackers and cheese are getting old. How about adding some meat, maybe a deli platter? If they're upping the membership price, how about some hot appetizers? And while I do like the mini muffins at breakfast, I think they could include yogurt and fruit with the toast and bagels. And no more hiding the Biscott cookies and fruit bars!

I guess I feel that IF they're increasing the membership, we should get a few things out of it. And one I really would like is possibly a different price for non-alcohol drinking members. I'm sure the liquor figures into the price, but as a non-drinker, I think the price I pay each year is fine where it is. I know it sounds silly and would never be put into action, but honestly, I would enjoy that! I know- I should keep my mouth shut and thank God that there is no smoking allowed, but it's fun to ponder this question of what we'd like to see changed!
Old Jul 1, 06, 11:12 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, SK *G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I'll start, as I pointed out in another thread- I think P.Clubs should have a soda fountain area like the NW clubs do. It would eliminate time at the bar for those of us who don't drink but must wait just to get a Diet Coke, and it would be available in the mornings, when many bars are not open. I don't know how many times I've had to flag down a PC employee who normally pretends he/she doesn't hear me, just to get them behind the bar for a Diet Coke.
What about making them self service?
Old Jul 1, 06, 11:33 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
F R E S H_ F R U I T !

HNL does it, why can't the others?

Besides, if they're going 3x3x3 on the 787 they should be encouraging the elites to lay off the SaraLee garbage and opt for a more healthy, more sliming option.

Larry did not loose that weight porking out on those chemistry set doughnuts - and neither will we.

Also, those massaging chairs DL has at the CRC in SFO would be nice too (they'd be super nice if they were free ). I'm starting to get dirty looks at the E Brookstone when I ask for yet another 15 minute demo in their massager.
Old Jul 2, 06, 12:01 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Visited the PC in HNL yesterday.

I sure was disapointed. First the self service bar now has a bar to guard the booze from our access. This is now staffed by a bartender who will only dispense one shot of liquor at a serving. She has prominently a clear 1/2 gallon jar full of one dollar bills. I asked for a guava juice or other tropical juice
to hear it had been discontinued. Also the macadamia cake is also gone.
They did have a grape/pineapple tray with the usual Bicotti and cheese and crackers. I was told that Denver was next for this "enhancement".
Old Jul 2, 06, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Food delivery service.

I would love to see a small segment of the club in Newark (and Houston E) set a part as a restaurant. Get a deal going with the nearby restaurants in the terminal, so that I could order a meal and have it delivered. For example, Gallagher's in Newark (not an endorsement )--and the other collection of restaurants in terminal E at IAH. There could be a delivery charge, naturally, but I see it as being good for Continental and good for the restaurants. Segregating the dining area, might mitigate concerns Continental has about outside move messing up the club--a reason I was given for why food can't be brought in! I just find it a nuisance to drag bags to a restaurant; I'd love to be able to eat in the club.
Old Jul 2, 06, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Likely only for the larger PCs, but a dedicated quiet area would be nice, a la Amtrak's Quiet Car. No cell phones, no blabbering, etc.
Old Jul 2, 06, 1:23 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by sanFF
I sure was disapointed. First the self service bar now has a bar to guard the booze from our access. This is now staffed by a bartender who will only dispense one shot of liquor at a serving. She has prominently a clear 1/2 gallon jar full of one dollar bills. I asked for a guava juice or other tropical juice to hear it had been discontinued. Also the macadamia cake is also gone. They did have a grape/pineapple tray with the usual Bicotti and cheese and crackers. I was told that Denver was next for this "enhancement".
Been like this since Feb or so. They called it upgrading their services.

I will still fight for a shower in HNL and GUM.
Old Jul 2, 06, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
  • More fresh fruit -- the apples are fine, but more variety would be nice.
  • Low-fat and/or fat-free yogurt in the mornings. Those of us who are trying to be more healthy in our eating don't have many choices for morning snacks in the PC.
  • A quiet area, free of cell phone use and with none of the land-line phones. This is one of the few (if not the only) thing that Delta has in its clubs that I wish CO had.
  • A few more snack options in the afternoons and evenings. The Alaska clubs I've visited have had vegetables (carrots, celery, etc.) which would be really nice, and would provide a healthier option in addition to the current offerings.
  • Fresh, locally baked pastries and bagels in the morning. I think CO used to have this before the current Sara Lee products were introduced. It's not that I think the current stuff is horrible, but I can often get much better in the terminal.
Old Jul 2, 06, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Oh yeah, massaging chairs- THAT would be nice. I always end up paying a masseuse to get the "laptop shoulder" knots out of my neck and upper back, either at the hotel or when I get home. And when I have 2 trips right together like I do this week, it sure would be nice to have a massage chair!

I agree about the fruit- it would be nice. But I also love the little muffins- I only allow myself sugar/caffeine when I'm traveling. But I'd rather be able to order out as suggested above. The PC could make some money if they had a small restaurant or allowed another 1 to deliver. I don't care much IF I'm on a flight that is serving meals, but lately I've been missing out.

You know, a lady who worked in the PC in Cleveland came up to me in the TV room talking about how she'd like to buy an area nearby for a small hotel for displaced travelers. I had just been on the runway over 4 hours the night before and missed my connection. I got a "discounted" hotel that still cost me $80, and the lady says she wants to open a place that the airlines could invest in and send the displaced travelers to in order to get some sleep between flights.

But I was thinking that the PCs in the bigger cities could have a nice sleeping area, something simple, where you could stay for a nominal fee. Won't ever happen, but I sure would love saving the money for all the hotels I paid for when not making a connection! Or, just keep the PC open 24/7. Actually, I think they should all open at 5am and not 5:30am so people who board for a 6am flight can still get in for a coffee or doughnut.

Edited to add "Krispy Kremes"! And am I missing something? I know NW Clubs have Sara Lee products, but has CO PCs added the cookies, too? All I ever find is peanuts, Lays chips and cheese and crackers.
Old Jul 2, 06, 2:46 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by thaliajen
All I ever find is peanuts, Lays chips and cheese and crackers.
I haven't seen a peanut in a club for years since those peanut allergies started. I miss those honey roasted things.
Old Jul 2, 06, 2:52 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
I had a PC membership, but I switched over to NW WC because of the MUCH larger International network that they provide compared to CO. It's just sad sad sad that the costs are almost identical for both PC and WC, but when I am overseas, I have access to a gazillion Air France, KLM, Alitalia, Alaska, Aeromexico, Czech, Delta, and other lounges that CO just doesn't let me into. For those of you in IAH, the NW WC card gets you into the KLM lounge in Terminal D regardless of airline you are flying on and class of service. Might be handy if the PC is overflowing or you just want a change of pace.
Check out their list of clubs and compare it to CO.
https://www.nwa.com/services/bustrav...bs/locat.shtml
Old Jul 2, 06, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'd like to see some sort of non-junk food. Real fruit (in addition to the microscopic apples), small bags of carrots like they serve on the plane (and in some of the WC locations), or *something* healthy. They used to have bananas, but for some reason not in the morning. Then, they went the way of the Milano cookies. Some option for eating a real meal instead of just snack/junk food would be great.

I'd also like to see the ability to enter some of the other clubs like WC members can do. A WC membership gets me access to so many more clubs. If I buy a membership shouldn't buy the one that provides me more chances for entry?

Oh, regarding the peanuts, they do (or recently did) have them in EWR. Unfortunately, though, they're almost never the honey roasted ones.
Old Jul 2, 06, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KosraeTV
I haven't seen a peanut in a club for years since those peanut allergies started. I miss those honey roasted things.
They're still around. The IAH clubs always seem to have peanuts at the bar. I've also seen them recently at SAT, AUS, DFW, and DEN.
Old Jul 2, 06, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I'd like to see some sort of non-junk food. Real fruit (in addition to the microscopic apples), small bags of carrots like they serve on the plane (and in some of the WC locations), or *something* healthy. They used to have bananas, but for some reason not in the morning. Then, they went the way of the Milano cookies. Some option for eating a real meal instead of just snack/junk food would be great.

I'd also like to see the ability to enter some of the other clubs like WC members can do. A WC membership gets me access to so many more clubs. If I buy a membership shouldn't buy the one that provides me more chances for entry?

Oh, regarding the peanuts, they do (or recently did) have them in EWR. Unfortunately, though, they're almost never the honey roasted ones.
I guess I'm never lucky enough to get in the right rooms when they have the peanuts. You guys are lucky I guess, I just get all the fresh fruits in HNL

I like the vegetables suggestions too but what about the NW clubs? You think they'd honor my CO Plat status and give me their Plat Rates to get a NW WC membership
Old Jul 2, 06, 4:03 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KosraeTV
I like the vegetables suggestions too but what about the NW clubs? You think they'd honor my CO Plat status and give me their Plat Rates to get a NW WC membership
I was CO Gold when I discovered the follies of PC and moved over to WC even though I didn't get the discount. Not getting to ST+ yet still travelling alot within Europe and to Asia, having that WC card and access to Skyteam and other partner lounges is priceless. Well worth the additional cost over and above what I would've saved with my Gold discount.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: