Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why I am leaving Continental and switching to America for the rest of the year!

Why I am leaving Continental and switching to America for the rest of the year!

Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:30 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by tbogart
I agree! For me * A offers the best benefits overall. Next week I'll re-qualify as CO Gold, which means I have six months to reach Plat - if I want to.

With complimentary upgrades harder and harder to get, I don't see any benefits of being a CO Plat other than 125% miles and Elite-Plus (Sky Team lounge access).

Miles are pretty much useless on CO, I've tried for almost two years to use them for upgrades and can't, and with my * A Gold I pretty much sweet talk myself into most * lounges anyway so that's not a loss.

For me the lack of upgrade opportunities to BF on international flights is the most important issue. I loathe the CO Y product on transcon and transatlantic flights. The pitch is unbearable and the 757 is a single aisle plane...

On my last transatlantic flight two weeks ago a was op-up'ed both legs on SK. Service was at least on par with BF, if not better!

Most importantly, we were on a 'real' plane not the RJs CO fly across the Atlantic...
I've been happy with CO domestic.. I think its one of the best within the
country.. but I agree with you on your coments.

Also CO has cut the lounge benefits for platinums and PC members.
If you fly CO metal, you cannot bring a companion in many lounges.
I think this was a bad move..
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:46 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, SK *G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cpx
I've been happy with CO domestic.. I think its one of the best within the
country.. but I agree with you on your coments.

Also CO has cut the lounge benefits for platinums and PC members.
If you fly CO metal, you cannot bring a companion in many lounges.
I think this was a bad move..
I have PC access through my Amex Plat and I've never had problems bringing in a guest!

I'm a CO fan and think their FC is among the best in the league. However, a few weeks ago I flew EWR-MSP on NWA, got upgraded to FC both ways on a cheap Y class ticket and I have to admit I was very impressed with the quality of service and meals.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:54 pm
cpx

I have PC access through my Amex Plat and I've never had problems bringing in a guest!

I'm a CO fan and think their FC is among the best in the league. However, a few weeks ago I flew EWR-MSP on NWA, got upgraded to FC both ways on a cheap Y class ticket and I have to admit I was very impressed with the quality of service and meals.

Lounge access was an issue I ran into for the first time in AMS as a CO plat.
AMEX may have a better deal, but I dont think AMEX will provide access
to most Sky Team lounges in other countries.

I like NW first service too.. as a CO elite, I enjoyed more upgrades on NW and
op-ups on KLM. no op-ups on CO intl.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:09 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, SK *G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cpx
Lounge access was an issue I ran into for the first time in AMS as a CO plat.
AMEX may have a better deal, but I dont think AMEX will provide access
to most Sky Team lounges in other countries.(
They won't, but as a CO Plat (SkyTeam Elite Plus) you will have access to any ST lounge when flying internationally.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:36 am

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
...I am most dubious of angled-flat...
I am in the midst of a 'round-the-world itin and had to opportunity for my first angled-flat, a NW A330. It was wonderful. Yeah, parallel to the deck is perfect but this was damn fine too.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:34 am
cpx

They won't, but as a CO Plat (SkyTeam Elite Plus) you will have access to any ST lounge when flying internationally.
For example if you fly to/via AMS on KL or NW, you are fine..
but not if you fly CO metal.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
you should be fine flying CO, any international itin.
the KL lounge agents are notorious for rejecting people theey should not.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Bonehead
As I bounded up the stairs just now, I realized that an E+ section would likely never happen. Right now, I cherish the reclining exit-row seats (including 12A on the 145s, which is FC on those flights). Perhaps a real attempt to keep the middle seats open in the elite section would help (as has been the subject of many a harangue on this board).

Problem there is the darn full flights...darn those full flights. Can't Larry do something about that?
Amen, amen, and amen. Something tells me that LK is quite content with domestic load factors these days (although they could always be better).
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by kanebear
To the OP: As someone who's flown CO quite a bit recently and flies AA even more; overall it's not a bad move. Phone support is 10x better. Domestically, in air service is better,domestic F meal quality is 60% of CO and if you're in Y is buy on board and it sucks. The metal is older and seats aren't quite as comfortable in F but in Y they're quite a bit nicer. AA's hub airports are easier to transit (now that Skylink is in place I would rather connect any day at DFW than try to schlep through IAH, and I've done so too many times over the past three months, ORD and EWR are about neck and neck for pain in the rear'ed ness, and STL and CLE are well matched as hellholes). There's really not anyplace CO has coverage that AA doesn't. I'm not counting NW here. They have coverage many places neither AA nor CO do. None of the above are very strong out west but AA does have close ties with AS and flights on AS earn elite qualifying miles/points.
You raised many valid points about advantages of AA over CO, including better award availability, lifetime status, international F, and reduced copays. But I'm going to have to step up and strongly disagree with your characterization of CLE as a "hellhole," especially when compared with DFW and ORD. CLE has no delays other than those caused by the occasional snowstorm in winter, or from late-arriving equipment from cities like ORD. During the 9:00 am or early evening banks, you might be number 6 for departure, but it doesn't matter, as it only takes three to five minutes to taxi to the runway. Sure, the terminal is not the most modern in the country, nor is it the largest, but it's never bursting at the seems like AA's hubs, the gates are fairly close together, and in any event, there is a great President's Club in which to hide if you don't want to spend time in the terminal. ORD is a complete disaster and is the number one reason I avoid AA - delays year-round and heaven forbid if you get stuck there due to weather. DFW is a close second - overcrowdedness, having to wait for gates after landing, and "folks, we're number 28 for departure," all come to mind.

CO definitely has some disadvantages, many of which you pointed out, but CLE is not even on the list. CLE, the underappreciated jewel of the CO hub system, is on the benefits list, IMO.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just thought of one other nice benefit of AA: domestic upgrade award availability is excellent. For those times you don't want to sweat out the elite "sticker" upgrade, AA offers tons of availability for redeeming upgrade awards (15K miles o/w). The reason is that the upgrade (on 2-class equip) comes from "A" inventory, which is the same used for their "YUP" discounted first class fares (paid First is "F" on AA), similar to CO's "Z" fares. Actually they now use both A and P for YUPs, with A being the more expensive, and less restricted, option.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by kanebear
To the OP: As someone who's flown CO quite a bit recently and flies AA even more; overall it's not a bad move. Phone support is 10x better. Domestically, in air service is better,domestic F meal quality is 60% of CO and if you're in Y is buy on board and it sucks. The metal is older and seats aren't quite as comfortable in F but in Y they're quite a bit nicer. AA's hub airports are easier to transit (now that Skylink is in place I would rather connect any day at DFW than try to schlep through IAH, and I've done so too many times over the past three months, ORD and EWR are about neck and neck for pain in the rear'ed ness, and STL and CLE are well matched as hellholes). There's really not anyplace CO has coverage that AA doesn't. I'm not counting NW here. They have coverage many places neither AA nor CO do. None of the above are very strong out west but AA does have close ties with AS and flights on AS earn elite qualifying miles/points.
Well, I went ahead yesterday and signed up with the AA challenge, though the guy gave it a different name. I booked a ticket from LAX to EWR that gets me 150% of Q-Points (one great thing is I am learning a brand new airline language and airline math!). I am dreading having to line up to get to the plane. The EWR checkin was a mess at LAX today; I hope AA isn't as bad. Granted, it appeared to be a particularly bad day for CAL as the 7 a.m. EWR flight was delayed until 10:30. Nevertheless, Continental has lost control over who gets to line up in the Elite/BusinessFirst line--it seems to be run on the honor system--word to the wise there.

I decided against UA, even though when I read some earlier posts, I think it was BenjaminNYC, UAUA made way more sense. However, they only count lifetime miles for lifetime elite status; the status match is also a once-in-a-lifetime deal. So my risk averse gene kicked in: maybe I'll need it later.

For the past fourteen or so years, I just never considered another airline rather than Continental. I heard about other airline's products, but it didn't really sink it. However, having gone through the websites for both United and American last night, I am impressed. I hope it's as good in reality as it looks "on paper." Continental is better at turning its assets into profits; however, I have to say that AA doesn't do a bad job. AA needs a "planectomy." It has a lot of MD equipment that looks terrible. I suspect they're all fully depreciated, so from a GAAP perspective they're not that expensive to run--when fuel prices are low!

So, thanks for all the feedback; I will let you know how things go.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 3:02 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Well, I went ahead yesterday and signed up with the AA challenge, though the guy gave it a different name. I booked a ticket from LAX to EWR that gets me 150% of Q-Points (one great thing is I am learning a brand new airline language and airline math!). I am dreading having to line up to get to the plane. The EWR checkin was a mess at LAX today; I hope AA isn't as bad. Granted, it appeared to be a particularly bad day for CAL as the 7 a.m. EWR flight was delayed until 10:30. Nevertheless, Continental has lost control over who gets to line up in the Elite/BusinessFirst line--it seems to be run on the honor system--word to the wise there.

I decided against UA, even though when I read some earlier posts, I think it was BenjaminNYC, UAUA made way more sense. However, they only count lifetime miles for lifetime elite status; the status match is also a once-in-a-lifetime deal. So my risk averse gene kicked in: maybe I'll need it later.

For the past fourteen or so years, I just never considered another airline rather than Continental. I heard about other airline's products, but it didn't really sink it. However, having gone through the websites for both United and American last night, I am impressed. I hope it's as good in reality as it looks "on paper." Continental is better at turning its assets into profits; however, I have to say that AA doesn't do a bad job. AA needs a "planectomy." It has a lot of MD equipment that looks terrible. I suspect they're all fully depreciated, so from a GAAP perspective they're not that expensive to run--when fuel prices are low!

I'm EXECUTIVE PLATINUM on AA. I re earn it, by trying to NOT fly AA but the oneworld alliance. AA is just aweful. But, I guess we all need to find out sometimes for ourselves. I did...
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by cigarman
But, I guess we all need to find out sometimes for ourselves. I did...
You're correct. I'm learning that UA is giving me FAAAAR more value for my $$$ than CO
Old Jun 24, 2006, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
AA needs a "planectomy." It has a lot of MD equipment that looks terrible. I suspect they're all fully depreciated, so from a GAAP perspective they're not that expensive to run--when fuel prices are low!

ContinentalFan,

I look forward to reading your impressions from your big switch. From the tone of your posts I know you will be fair and balanced.

One quick note regarding switching airlines. I've done this a few times in my life (I flew 850,000 miles on AA, then over a million miles on TWA, then CO, now B6).

As you've written, you'll be starting out at the bottom of the totem pole, so you might be a little taken aback by the experience of being just another peon among the masses (at least until you get your elite status).

Also, as a major customer of TWA, I can tell you that I flew a tremendous amount of time on MD-80's. Yes, these birds are getting a little long in the tooth nowadays, but they have a number of major pluses.

If you're flying coach (which I'msure you will have to, at least occasionally) keep in mind that the MD-80's are 2-3 in coach, thus eliminating one middle seat per row.

And, because the engines are in the rear of the fuselage, you will be amazed at how quiet the plane seems if you're seated in FC or the first few rows of Y (of course, the flip side, is that the last couple of rows of Y are brutally loud, but I'm sure you'll be able to avoid those seats pretty easily).

Finally, Y seats on AA MD-80's are slightly wider than Y seats on CO.

Good luck!
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
AA or UA?

If your needs are served well by both carriers, here is what I would recomend. If you can only made midtier, (50K level), then go with UA. Similar upgrade oppurtunities and product quality, but UA has economy plus for when your upgrades don't clear.

If you can make top tier (100K), go with AA. 8 systemwide upgrades instead of 6 on UA. Unlimitted domestic upgrades, something UA never gives. Better CS with the AA EXP desk. Powerports in economy on AA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.