Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why I am leaving Continental and switching to America for the rest of the year!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why I am leaving Continental and switching to America for the rest of the year!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by tom911
As I actually fly AA, let me offer a different opinion. I'm quite happy there. I've cleared 108 of my last 112 "free" domestic upgrade requests, and all my international systemwide upgrades have cleared this year (Paris, London, Tokyo in Jan, Feb, March). I've used miles this year on Qantas to NZ and Australia. I'm very happy with AA's program as a top tier flyer.

With UA, Million Miler requires actual flight miles. AA's equivalent, lifetime Platinum at 2 Million Miles, let's you use bonus miles, credit card miles, and flight miles.

Thanks for the news. I have been in contact with a few AA plats that seem quite happy. I am also please to hear that you can get lifetime status through flight, credit and bonus miles. I didn't know about the bonus miles. I was reading through the website this afternoon and I discovered something interesting: if I hit Platinum in this calendar year--that's only 50,000 miles on non-discount tickets--I can nominate someone else to become Gold. I think I am reading that right. AA is celebrating 25 years of the program. The lifetime status is for platinum and not executive platinum, right?
Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
The lifetime status is for platinum and not executive platinum, right?
True. Neither AA or UA offer lifetime at their top tier level.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Despite the somewhat understandable griping, it should be noted that CO has the most expansive international mileage upgrade opportunities of any US airline - the ability to use points to upgrade into CO BusinessFirst, CM Clase Ejecutiva, and NW/KL World Business Class is pretty huge. All the more so given that NW/KLM tend to have pretty good upgrade-eligible fares on transoceanic flights.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmartazu
I am considering making a move away from Continental this year based on recent poorly-handled correspondence with the Customer Service center.

I had considered myself an avid and loyal fan, but this experience (which I shall not divulge now because the issue is still outstanding) has been very negative for me...and has shown me that my loyalty means nothing to Continental...nothing at all.
Personally, I can't fault CO customer service--in fact, service overall. Now and again, you run across someone with issues. I think that situation can't be avoided. I was disappointed in how my waitlist problem was handled for tomorrow's flight, but I am sure that there is some explanation that will sound reasonable.

I have found that if you really want to get the message through to Continental that you're unhappy, pick a month that you fly a lot and file a DOT complaint on every segment that failed to meet or exceed 100% of your expectations. I know back in the late 90's, the last time I did it; I knocked Continental out of the top 8 one month; they had been 1 or 2 for a month or two before. I was gratified when I saw them “star” on the first page of the business section of US Today!

As a result of my assault, I got a very nice call from someone in Mr. Bethune's office. The person left the message on my voicemail. It was extremely professional; actually, the message was quite exceptional. He had one great line about "cutting out the middle man." (Complain directly to Continental) I used that message in sales training about how to deal with a problematic customer (me in this case!). I haven't nuked them since. I don’t think Continental puts as much store in its DOT ranking, so maybe this particular tactic doesn’t work any more.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Despite the somewhat understandable griping, it should be noted that CO has the most expansive international mileage upgrade opportunities of any US airline - the ability to use points to upgrade into CO BusinessFirst, CM Clase Ejecutiva, and NW/KL World Business Class is pretty huge. All the more so given that NW/KLM tend to have pretty good upgrade-eligible fares on transoceanic flights.
True. I just want to extend my benefits into the future, with a lifetime status, that's all!
Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Sorry to hear about your leaving, but frankly, it makes sense. Once you hit 75K, the benefits of the CO program end (it's just bonus miles).

Diversifying your portfolio of miles is a good idea -- you have multiple currencies for more redemption opportunities, and multiple programs to take advantage of promotions.

And regarding your reasons, CO has always had good intentions, technology-wise, though their execution has traditionally been sub-par. Remember when the EQM's first hit? We were 5 months into it before the OPSC could even modify a misposted EQM.

So they're well-intentioned in that they try to keep your passport info in your profile. The execution is poor in that their staff don't know (or aren't able to) update it.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:21 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
CO is a good airline, but it seems you have your reasons for switching. But by god, WHY AA? Service on AA has basically hit rock bottom. Their Y is horrific, and their domestic F / international J is aweful. Being CA based, why not UA? Rember UA has a domestic F almost as good as CO, and E+ for when you're in Y.
And the last time you flew AA was...? For that matter, the last time you got near EWR and set foot on CO was? Then again given the fretting over wine glass size I can't imagine what horrors were experienced on AA. Perhaps incorrect napkins were loaded? Or, possibly the ramekin (that white thing they serve cashews, etc in) wasn't warmed properly? The shame, the agony!

To the OP: As someone who's flown CO quite a bit recently and flies AA even more; overall it's not a bad move. Phone support is 10x better. Domestically, in air service is better,domestic F meal quality is 60% of CO and if you're in Y is buy on board and it sucks. The metal is older and seats aren't quite as comfortable in F but in Y they're quite a bit nicer. AA's hub airports are easier to transit (now that Skylink is in place I would rather connect any day at DFW than try to schlep through IAH, and I've done so too many times over the past three months, ORD and EWR are about neck and neck for pain in the rear'ed ness, and STL and CLE are well matched as hellholes). There's really not anyplace CO has coverage that AA doesn't. I'm not counting NW here. They have coverage many places neither AA nor CO do. None of the above are very strong out west but AA does have close ties with AS and flights on AS earn elite qualifying miles/points.

Internationally BF has it all over AA's J class but that will be rectified by the end of '07 when AA finishes rolling out new J. Major benefit to AA; you have a decent shot of actually sitting in J when upgrading and AA will work until the door closes to get you up there as opposed to CO's "Let Them Eat CAKE!" approach and UA's "Employees FIRST" attitude. There's a copay but it's $250 one way regardless of fare class. None of CO's gouging when you buy a discount fare.

If you ever buy D/J fares, you also have the ability on 777 routes to easily upgrade to F and enjoy a vastly superior seat to anything CO or even UA has. The First Suite on UA is nice, but the Flagship Suite is much much much nicer. CO's BF is a very poor third.

On using miles, AA has really tightened up in this regard but is still much better than CO and AA has the best partner network of any of the US majors. If you ever go to South America, you really have no other choice. Connecting on COPA is painful, taking 737s to PTY and onward. If you use one of CO's nonstops to deep SoAm, you have no connecting opportunities. Varig just went *poof* and UA is a mere shadow of CO or AA to South America so *A now has weak to no representation in both South America and Australia. If you travel intra-Canada much, *A/UA may be your ONLY choice. No oneworld options there, only AC.

Asia? UA is much stronger there, but with the addition of JL to Oneworld that will help. You won't be able to upgrade, sadly, but if you can combine a mileage run with business you can do Circle Pacific fares in J or F for less than an RT J would cost you. Also, CX has a program called CXLeverage which has WONDERFUL discounts to Asia on D fares. It's worth a look.

Finally, the big kicker for me? AA gives you lifetime status based upon PROGRAM miles. Make elite and charge $250k on your credit card a year? You'll be lifetime gold in four years. I went from zero to lifetime gold in a day thanks to goldpoints and lifetime platinum took two years after that. UA's Butt In Seat 1P at one million miles is 1MM FLOWN miles. A lot harder to achieve. That's 10 years of being 1k every year.

Last edited by kanebear; Jun 23, 2006 at 11:35 pm
Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:27 pm

This is impressive 80 posts in less 24 hrs. I have to admit, I am confused by the time stamp on the banner. What time zone is it in? Just for a test. My PC show 8:26 PM. Let's see what shows up on the banner

I don’t fly nearly as much as most of you. In the past I have been top tier on UA as well as AA. Now I barely make GOLD on CO. I rejected AA completely because of DFW Airport and the ground personnel there. These days, when I am forced to fly AA, I don’t even bother to collect the miles. United is nice but CO non-stop is sweat.

I do have problems with the “We Care 2” people at continental and the buggy website but nothing beats the non-stop flights. I know.. I know… non-stop = less miles. None-stop is still king for me. If I were in California, I would have a hard time choosing between CO and UA. Connecting through IAH vs Chicago or Denver, they are all lousy.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:31 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by TXNancy
This is impressive 80 posts in less 24 hrs. I have to admit, I am confused by the time stamp on the banner. What time zone is it in? Just for a test. My PC show 8:26 PM. Let's see what shows up on the banner

I don’t fly nearly as much as most of you. In the past I have been top tier on UA as well as AA. Now I barely make GOLD on CO. I rejected AA completely because of DFW Airport and the ground personnel there. These days, when I am forced to fly AA, I don’t even bother to collect the miles. United is nice but CO non-stop is sweat.

I do have problems with the “We Care 2” people at continental and the buggy website but nothing beats the non-stop flights. I know.. I know… non-stop = less miles. None-stop is still king for me. If I were in California, I would have a hard time choosing between CO and UA. Connecting through IAH vs Chicago or Denver, they are all lousy.
Being in Houston, AA would be a tough sell. IAH isn't nearly as painful as an O&D airport as it is a connecting airport. For us chickens down in CRP, we connect going ANYWHERE just about. One benefit to flying AA out of IAH, MUCH lower prices. AA out of IAH can be half of the same ticket out of any other city in Texas.

What issues have you had with the ground staff? I've had my run-ins but IMO they're no worse than what I've had at IAH.

As for the goofy timezone, if you'll scroll up,look in the left corner of the menu bar and click "MyFlyerTalk", then on the left side click "Edit Options" and scroll down, you'll see the timezone setting. You want to select GMT -6.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by kanebear
What issues have you had with the ground staff? I've had my run-ins but IMO they're no worse than what I've had at IAH.

As for the goofy timezone, if you'll scroll up,look in the left corner of the menu bar and click "MyFlyerTalk", then on the left side click "Edit Options" and scroll down, you'll see the timezone setting. You want to select GMT -6.
WOW, thanks. I am not confused anymore.

DFW can be a mess every time thunder clouds form over the city which is quite frequent. I got stranded a couple of times in DFW flying J class on AA. The ground personnel there were mean even on a good day. On a day with weather problem, (I don’t know how they treated the international first class PX.) they did nothing for international business class passengers during those days when CO was the worst airline in the sky and I was flying AA and UA depending on the route. So, it has been a long time. They were so awful; the personnel can only get better in the last 10 years. Unfortunately, the weather around DFW has not improved.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I was reading through the website this afternoon and I discovered something interesting: if I hit Platinum in this calendar year--that's only 50,000 miles on non-discount tickets--I can nominate someone else to become Gold.
Well to be clear, you have to be a PLT and earn at least 75K miles or points for the gifting of GLD. So if you fly Y/B/J/F, then yes, 50K miles would do it (since it would put you at 75K points).

If you cross that pesky 100K threshold, you'll "only" get EXP... you must do another 25K points/miles beyond that for the EXP gifts

AA Elite Rewards

Sincerely,
Another happy PLT (soon to be another happy EXP)
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
CO is a good airline, but it seems you have your reasons for switching. But by god, WHY AA? Service on AA has basically hit rock bottom. Their Y is horrific, and their domestic F / international J is aweful. Being CA based, why not UA? Rember UA has a domestic F almost as good as CO, and E+ for when you're in Y.
One word: Ted.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
On the other hand, while Smisek and the crew are busy sarcastically pooh-poohing every innovation and amenity being introduced by competitors, I believe that CO is being a little blinded by its (relative) success.
I admit that the CO partisan in me gets a kick out of some of Smisek's cracks that I've seen posted here, but I think TWA might be onto something here .. although CO does seem to retain an edge in some amenities...
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by perezoso
I admit that the CO partisan in me gets a kick out of some of Smisek's cracks that I've seen posted here, but I think TWA might be onto something here .. although CO does seem to retain an edge in some amenities...
Smisek is very entertaining, I agree. But he wasn't hired to be a comedian.

The amenities where CO has an advantage are all based on trivial expendables (catering, pillows, blankets, etc.) which can be added or diminished easily.

If, on the other hand, 18 months down the road UA, DL, and AA (not to mention B6, of course) all end up with PTV, satellite radio, AVOD, inflight internet, universal power outlets, and more spacious and more comfortable coach cabins, CO will be caught at the back of the pack and playing an expensive and difficult game of catch up.

Finally, when one looks at CO's current capital improvement plans, one notices that substantial improvements to the customer experience (e.g.: the mid-cabin lavatory on the 737-800) are being added at an absoutely glacial pace.

So it doesn't presage positively in case CO needs to play catch up to add the technological amenities listed above.

If CO really does fall far behind its competition in the category of amenities, I'm not sure Smisek would be making quite so many wise cracks any more.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:20 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, SK *G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cpx
Then again.. the benefits are going downhill across the board within US.
I moved to UA mainly because of the *A. I havent flown UA since
the move.. only other *A partners. I'm happy so far.
I agree! For me * A offers the best benefits overall. Next week I'll re-qualify as CO Gold, which means I have six months to reach Plat - if I want to.

With complimentary upgrades harder and harder to get, I don't see any benefits of being a CO Plat other than 125% miles and Elite-Plus (Sky Team lounge access).

Miles are pretty much useless on CO, I've tried for almost two years to use them for upgrades and can't, and with my * A Gold I pretty much sweet talk myself into most * lounges anyway so that's not a loss.

For me the lack of upgrade opportunities to BF on international flights is the most important issue. I loathe the CO Y product on transcon and transatlantic flights. The pitch is unbearable and the 757 is a single aisle plane...

On my last transatlantic flight two weeks ago a was op-up'ed both legs on SK. Service was at least on par with BF, if not better!

Most importantly, we were on a 'real' plane not the RJs CO fly across the Atlantic...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.