Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why I am leaving Continental and switching to America for the rest of the year!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why I am leaving Continental and switching to America for the rest of the year!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by channa
I wish AA had an easier way way to comp over. With EUA for top tiers as well as eVIPs and very good award availability, it's a solid program. If I didn't have to sit in LRTC for a significant amount of time, I would seriously consider the program.
Of course, that's because you're already a UA grand fromage. If you're an unsatisfied CO Plst sitting in CO's equivalent of LRTC which is code-named LRIC (Less Room In Coach, or simply by its acronym LRIC, pronounced "LaRRY K") AA's top tier might appear quite a bit more appealing.

Of course, that really only applies to fliers residing in the NYC area, and very likely would not apply to the "captives" in Houston or Cleveland who don't have much a choice.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I wish AA had an easier way way to comp over. With EUA for top tiers as well as eVIPs and very good award availability, it's a solid program. If I didn't have to sit in LRTC for a significant amount of time, I would seriously consider the program.
See if you can trade for a few of someone else's VIPOWs...add some low fare mileage runs to NRT or deep Latin America (they have them frequently), a few domestic hard-core runs and you're at 100K.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Of course, that's because you're already a UA grand fromage. If you're an unsatisfied CO Plst sitting in CO's equivalent of LRTC which is code-named LRIC (Less Room In Coach, or simply by its acronym LRIC, pronounced "LaRRY K") AA's top tier might appear quite a bit more appealing.

Of course, that really only applies to fliers residing in the NYC area, and very likely would not apply to the "captives" in Houston or Cleveland who don't have much a choice.
Totally agree. Not only that, being from SFO as well had influence.

Plus the UA ramp-up period is much easier on UA because of E+ and you can stretch those 500-milers if you plan carefully, which you cannot do on AA.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 2:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Oh how I've wished that the 500-milers did stretch!

you can stretch those 500-milers if you plan carefully
A painful turn of phrase. Every time I consider UA, I note that JFK to SFO is 2,586 miles, requiring SIX 500 mile certs. They don't quantize fares in multiples of $500, because they realize that would be truly retarded, but they don't mind doing this with my certs.

I'm 9/13 on upgrades, EWR to SFO this year, and CO offers better fares on this route than UA. CO continues to hold me in place with a better deal for my specific circumstances than any competitor. Everyone's needs are different, so it's hard to generalize about this sort of thing.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Syzygies
..I'm 9/13 on upgrades, EWR to SFO this year...
But I thought that no one ever got upgraded on transcons any more. Hmmmm...
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I'm sure it's a temporary effect of the recession; I was 50% in 2007, 25% in 2008 with the same flying patterns. Though the difference is so dramatic, I've got to wonder if fewer Plats will requalify, double EQMs or not.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Must be a recession thing, I got upgraded (on W fare, no less) EWR-SFO two weeks ago as a lowly silver (which will make gold in a few weeks and plat a month after that ).
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by crowly
Must be a recession thing, I got upgraded (on W fare, no less) EWR-SFO two weeks ago as a lowly silver (which will make gold in a few weeks and plat a month after that ).
So maybe we should add "recession" to the CO mantra: CO is a great airline if you fly as ticketed, everything runs on time, and you have Elite status during a recessionary period.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
I made the partial jump four years ago. I still keep my plat on Co, but AA still gets the majority of my flying. I have business travel needs which CO can meet better than AA, but AA upgrades me much more and gives out VIPOW's, something that CO has stated firmly it will not offer.

While AA still requires BIS miles or points to get into EXP status, no comps or challenges, there one thing that you can do to minimize the pain of transition. Remember that 100,000 points or miles will get you to EXP status. If you use "Price and Schedule" button on the AA.com site, you can frequently find P fares, which are first class seats, and which accrue 1.5 points per mile for less, sometimes substantially less than coach fares that earn only one point. This disparity has been noted some times on the AA boards. The Price and Schedule tool is clunky, it only works for one ways and for round trips, it is not available for multi destination bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.