CO stock as hot as the corn chowder...

Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
CO stock as hot as the corn chowder...

Take a look at what Jim Cramer thinks...
Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
he's on crack, CO won't get taken over by a foreign carrier...

but the corn chowda is good
Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Open Skies is by no means a done deal. The House recently voted to put off consideration of legislation that would allow it, and much compromise has to be hammered out in committee before we'll get any indication. I'd be surprised if we'll see anything this summer, as the Europeans want. Plus, the trend in transportation has been increasingly protectionist - remember the DXB Ports World deal that was killed? The tone of the article seems to suggest that Open Skies is certainly going to happen in a form that's going to make European carriers jump at the opportunity to immediately acquire a US carrier. I doubt the situation will evolve in such a manner.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one of the big objections to foreign ownership is Virgin America. CO doesn't want yet another JetBlue-like carrier, but with international connections!
Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Open Skies is by no means a done deal. The House recently voted to put off consideration of legislation that would allow it, and much compromise has to be hammered out in committee before we'll get any indication. I'd be surprised if we'll see anything this summer, as the Europeans want. Plus, the trend in transportation has been increasingly protectionist - remember the DXB Ports World deal that was killed? The tone of the article seems to suggest that Open Skies is certainly going to happen in a form that's going to make European carriers jump at the opportunity to immediately acquire a US carrier. I doubt the situation will evolve in such a manner.

I haven't been following what the House is up to, but the Senate seems to be backing the DOT.

I saw Cramer's piece on Continental; he's positioning the company as a trading stock. IMHO, there isn't enough liquidity there. If you are serious about trading, you need to move 10k shares at a whack: the volume for CAL is too thin. Cramer is right on Continental's management: they're stellar, but the thing that people need to remember is that a merger with any other entity has to be approved by shareholders. I don't see a scenario where CAL shareholders could get the premium they deserve for the company.

With regard to Open Skies, I expect to see it happen within two or three years--maybe sooner. As soon as LHR is opened up, it's a done deal as far as the US is concerned.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
one of the big objections to foreign ownership is Virgin America. CO doesn't want yet another JetBlue-like carrier, but with international connections!
Larry spelled the whole thing out clearly in his presentation at the Merrill Lynch conference. It's all about Heathrow. If CAL got access to Heathrow, all their objections would vanish. In fact, IMHO, the company would switch sides and back AA, UA, BA and VS in their efforts to keep others out. I don't think CAL cares one way or the other about Virgin America; however, they can use the issue as leverage on LHR.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
he's on crack
hah .. he truly is

you should have seen his rant about continental on cnbc .. it went on and on for 15 minutes going all over the place and playing these weird noises
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Continental is well run, Cramer is right about that. But Cramer's premise here is totally absurd. He may not be on crack, but he's on something.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

crack, xtal meth, whatever...
he's high on something.

CO wants LHR, with viable, affordable slots. but it has also been intent on keeping out virgin america.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cramer is a very decent guy who is concerned about the individual investor. His show is, first and foremost, about entertainment. His share shows that he's doing well! In fairness to him, he has taken at segments to warn people not to go out and buy the companies immediately: wait until things settle. He is loud and a bit obnoxious, but he's a showman!
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I am high on percocet right now actually, had foot surgery on Tuesday and been laid up all week.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Larry spelled the whole thing out clearly in his presentation at the Merrill Lynch conference. It's all about Heathrow. If CAL got access to Heathrow, all their objections would vanish. In fact, IMHO, the company would switch sides and back AA, UA, BA and VS in their efforts to keep others out. I don't think CAL cares one way or the other about Virgin America; however, they can use the issue as leverage on LHR.
Continental doesn't deserve to fly into Heathrow. If Larry wants it so bad, he can get out his checkbook. Stop whining [about everything ]and face up Larry.

And if CO ever did fly into LHR, how do they expect any premium travel with no First Class and an already outdated Business cabin? That is a pathetic proposition.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Continental doesn't deserve to fly into Heathrow. If Larry wants it so bad, he can get out his checkbook. Stop whining [about everything ]and face up Larry.

And if CO ever did fly into LHR, how do they expect any premium travel with no First Class and an already outdated Business cabin? That is a pathetic proposition.

A checkbook won't do any good.

Can Continental count on pressure from United to allow CAL access to LHR? If I am reading what you say correctly, Continental is an inferior carrier that poses no commercial threat to United, right? I am sure you believe what you say, so I'd think you'd love to see Continental to have access to LHR: United would look good in comparision to CAL.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:34 pm

Please, let's get realistic.

United doesn't need Continental at Heathrow to prove that they are the superior global airline.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Please, let's get realistic.

United doesn't need Continental at Heathrow to prove that they are the superior global airline.

LOL. Me thinks me hears a chicken a clucking! You're in the Continental Forum; we're here to help. Face it, you're scared of Continental! If Continental is such a tatty, third-class airline, why the concern?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.