Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO stock as hot as the corn chowder...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Please, let's get realistic.

United doesn't need Continental at Heathrow to prove that they are the superior global airline.
Puh-lease!
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: CO - Plat
Please, let's get realistic.

United doesn't need Continental at Heathrow to prove that they are the superior global airline.
Lol, how ironic.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
LOL. Me thinks me hears a chicken a clucking! You're in the Continental Forum; we're here to help. Face it, you're scared of Continental! If Continental is such a tatty, third-class airline, why the concern?
Afraid of Continental you are correct.

I'm afraid of no upgrades...Of no First cabin...Of garbage wine....Of no 744s...of no large 777 fleet...

I think I am most afraid of Nonepass though

With this aside, I still think Continental is a great US airline, just not to the over the top, everything else sucks, Continental or nothing level of people on this web forum.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

I'm afraid of no upgrades...Of no First cabin...Of garbage wine....Of no 744s...of no large 777 fleet...

With this aside, I still think Continental is a great US airline, just not to the over the top, everything else sucks, Continental or nothing level of people on this web forum.
Thank you for your unqualified support of Continental! I was breathlessly waiting to hear you utter those words. Here, we are in complete agreement: "I still think Continental is a great US airline."* Let's leave it at that.

* © tuolumne 2006
Old Jun 23, 2006, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold

I'm afraid of . . . IAD GAs . . . an inferior C product . . . ORD, period . . . 18 gazillion MP members of all tiers . . . five tiers of elite membership and the sale of certain elite benefits . . . screwing around with 500 milers . . . united.bomb . . . foreign call centers . . . 744s with no in-seat IFE in Y . . . buy-on-board Y meals on 6 hour transcons . . . overcrowded RCCs with no free drinks (generally) . . .

But I do like: SWUs; being able to take a three-class widebody transcon; op-ups to C from Y on international segments; 744 service to Asia; LHR access; easy international mileage upgrades; E+; international F; and service to Australia.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 3:52 pm

I agree with your positives ^
Old Jun 23, 2006, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
there are advantages and disadvantages to every airline.

CO is currently the best. But they need to 'beef up' their product.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
. But they need to 'beef up' their product.
Why would they do that if they are only going to be sold to the highest bidding foreign carrier/country?
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mywifeisincoach
Why would they do that if they are only going to be sold to the highest bidding foreign carrier/country?
They aren't going to be sold. Where do I begin?

- NW holds right of first refusal over sale of Continental (I think they still own
a pile of CAL stock as well.
- KLM owns part of NW
- AF owns KLM.

That alone is enough of a thicket of thorns to prevent anything like this from being even remotely possible.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy
They aren't going to be sold. Where do I begin?

- NW holds right of first refusal over sale of Continental (I think they still own
a pile of CAL stock as well.
- KLM owns part of NW
- AF owns KLM.

That alone is enough of a thicket of thorns to prevent anything like this from being even remotely possible.

I need to check the 10-K, but I believe that NW no longer holds rights over CAL. Rights such as those would be among the first things Northwest might try and sell prior to filing C11.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:05 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, SK *G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CO 1E
I'm afraid of . . . IAD GAs . . .
Can't be worse than CO EWR based staff...
an inferior C product . . .
I'll take a UA 777 business class over a 757 BF any day...
ORD, period . . .
I'm based at EWR/LHR, can't be worse than that...
18 gazillion MP members of all tiers . . . five tiers of elite membership and the sale of certain elite benefits . . . screwing around with 500 milers . . . I've enjoyed more upgrades on UA with *A (before I got UA status) than on CO. Don't get me started on CO's international upgrade policy (non-existent)
united.bomb . . . OK, agree with you, CO's website is the best in the league.
foreign call centers . . . Never had a problem!
744s with no in-seat IFE in Y . . . vs CO's 757, what's the question again...?
buy-on-board Y meals on 6 hour transcons . . . I agree, it's nice with some free food even though they probably have about 2000 calories...
overcrowded RCCs with no free drinks (generally) . . . No free drinks is bad!!! But I can't say they are more overcrowded than a PC.

But I do like: SWUs; being able to take a three-class widebody transcon; op-ups to C from Y on international segments; 744 service to Asia; LHR access; easy international mileage upgrades; E+; international F; and service to Australia.
Agreed!
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbogart
Agreed!
Your 757 points are valid, but remember that almost all the international routes that CO serves exclusively with 752s are routes that UA does not serve at all nonstop from the US - e.g., BRS, BHX, EDI, GLA, TXL, CGN, DUB, Barcelona. All major int'l routes are served by widebodies. Not that I'm opposed to taking an LH connection in FRA or MUC to reach these places and avoid a 752 sometimes, but the value on these routes is having nonstop service where none existed previously.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your 757 points are valid, but remember that almost all the international routes that CO serves exclusively with 752s are routes that UA does not serve at all nonstop from the US - e.g., BRS, BHX, EDI, GLA, TXL, CGN, DUB, Barcelona. All major int'l routes are served by widebodies. Not that I'm opposed to taking an LH connection in FRA or MUC to reach these places and avoid a 752 sometimes, but the value on these routes is having nonstop service where none existed previously.
Don't forget BFS!
Old Jun 24, 2006, 9:43 pm

United has a larger fleet of Widebody aircraft.

I'm sorry, but there is something about taking a 757-200 accross the Atlantic that pains me. I would much rather have a fleeet of 30 747-400s and 55 777-200ERs take me to destinations, and have the Star partners take me to those cities.

Continental's limited fleet of 777s seems miniscule, much more when you facor in that there is no First Suite (gah).
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National

I'm sorry, but there is something about taking a 757-200 accross the Atlantic that pains me.
Agreed.. however I have no problems avoiding them.

I would much rather have a fleeet of 30 747-400s and 55 777-200ERs take me to destinations, and have the Star partners take me to those cities.
So fly CO 777 to Paris or AMS and take skyteam AF or KLM to what you need. That is how I do it, hense I do not see the distinction. Also in comparison, a lot of UA's 747s are ratty and old IMO, and as said before lack in seat IFE.

Continental's limited fleet of 777s seems miniscule, much more when you facor in that there is no First Suite (gah).
Again, if you are flying to a portal city, then who cares how many 747's one has?

As for first class, if you fly first out of your own pocket well bully for you. Most businesses will not pony up for first, and that is why we now have a BizFirst melding of the classes. If you have actually flown Continental Biz first, I think you would like it. You are correct that it is not a first class product, but IMO it beats 90% of business class products hands down. The seats are great the food is excellent and there is a real attention to detail. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.