Is CO Lax on Serving Booze?

 
Old Jun 19, 06, 4:22 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LAS - I'm All In!
Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Posts: 3,636
Is CO Lax on Serving Booze?

So I get upgraded from CO Flt 1 (HNL-GUM) to First Class and a HNL-NGO-GUM flight in FC. The HNL-NGO is about a 8-9 hour flight and I had to have about 20 drinks on that flight. All the wine with the meal, sake with the japanese meal, port with the cheese, fruit and crackers... Then started with double bombay and tonics until I was about 20 down.

Is there no rule for not serving people too many drinks if they are in F? It was excessive, I just kept being brought more and more alchohol (not that there is anything wrong with that or I am complaining - I am not!) - I am just curious why the over kill and if this could be a security issue with F being so close to the cockpit and serving someone till he is slammed (and I was) - though I wasn't showing the signs.
trekwars2000 is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 4:33 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Posts: 2,596
Do you happen to weigh 460 lbs?
BigPoppaCO is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 4:44 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Miler, Marriott Gold
Posts: 829
I asked a FA about that because I was given a 3rd on a short flight, and he said the "rule" is one double per hour. He said he'd break the rule for me. Of course I've seen that broken 100's of times, and I've also seen cutoff's in F class.
JerseyCityS is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 4:46 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: EWR/LHR
Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, SK *G, HH Gold
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
So I get upgraded from CO Flt 1 (HNL-GUM) to First Class and a HNL-NGO-GUM flight in FC. The HNL-NGO is about a 8-9 hour flight and I had to have about 20 drinks on that flight. All the wine with the meal, sake with the japanese meal, port with the cheese, fruit and crackers... Then started with double bombay and tonics until I was about 20 down.
I'm amazed you can remember all of this...
tbogart is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 4:49 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arizona USA
Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,652
Originally Posted by tbogart
I'm amazed you can remember all of this...
Perhaps another PAX left him a note with the accounting along with Depends coupons.
KevAZ is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 5:00 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DCA
Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Posts: 18,733
I can't believe you didn't die of dehydration before making it back to GUM.
CO 1E is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 5:14 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 3,169
i dont think there is an official rule except the one from the CO mag that says CO must serve the actual alcohol to its passengers and that it reserves he right to refuse service to anyone appearing intoxicated.

i have had double after double on flights, in addition to wine service and post dinner cognac service. i have been very drunk on planes, but have never shown it. ok maybe once or twice.

i have been on numerous flights where (pre 9/11) i had finished all the crown royal on board, and also (post 9/11) all the JD on the plane.

i once asked for a glass of wine during initial decent but said, "only if one is open." the FA said, "hey, ill open another bottle, but you better finish it." i said "bring it on," and she kept that glass filled until she had to be seated.

mission accomplished however. i did walk off that plane rather toasty.

i think its totally up to the FA and their opinion of your behavior.

i once had a FA lock me in the FC lavatory after id had a few doubles. they thought it was just hilarious. they continued serving me through out the flight, with out asking me. that was the drunkest iah-tpa flight ever.

i actually try to enjoy myself in FC especially with friends. its like being at a bar in a big fat seat, with your best friend(s) or family with free booze service.

why not cut it up as long as other passengers are not bothered.
dlen111 is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 6:41 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TPA
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by dlen111
i dont think there is an official rule except the one from the CO mag that says CO must serve the actual alcohol to its passengers and that it reserves he right to refuse service to anyone appearing intoxicated.

i have had double after double on flights, in addition to wine service and post dinner cognac service. i have been very drunk on planes, but have never shown it. ok maybe once or twice.

i have been on numerous flights where (pre 9/11) i had finished all the crown royal on board, and also (post 9/11) all the JD on the plane.

i once asked for a glass of wine during initial decent but said, "only if one is open." the FA said, "hey, ill open another bottle, but you better finish it." i said "bring it on," and she kept that glass filled until she had to be seated.

mission accomplished however. i did walk off that plane rather toasty.

i think its totally up to the FA and their opinion of your behavior.

i once had a FA lock me in the FC lavatory after id had a few doubles. they thought it was just hilarious. they continued serving me through out the flight, with out asking me. that was the drunkest iah-tpa flight ever.

i actually try to enjoy myself in FC especially with friends. its like being at a bar in a big fat seat, with your best friend(s) or family with free booze service.

why not cut it up as long as other passengers are not bothered.
I agree and that what's I'm going to do next Friday when I take a week long vacation to Florida. The only problem is that the first leg of the flight is in the morning and I don't really drink alcohol in the morning.
Playboy is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 7:06 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 13,768
Maybe they should re-brand BusinessFirst or First Class and call it StepZero.
ContinentalFan is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 7:53 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Posts: 1,243
It is definitely, IMHO, dependent on the FA.

I have had some flights serve me Scotch after Scotch after Scotch (well, ok, the flights didn't serve it, the FAs did) and some flights where it has been two glasses of red wine and that is it (FA sat in her seat and read the latest on Brangelina).
DawgmanOH is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 8:53 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 30,583
Originally Posted by Playboy
The only problem is that the first leg of the flight is in the morning and I don't really drink alcohol in the morning.
Grand Marnier and OJ is a fantastic combination for the morning
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 9:09 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
Posts: 505
I too have had some very "liquid" flights up front, especially when you're in the center of a wide body. You have FA's circulating on both sides of you (the 767's are especially good for this 2-1-2) looking for empty glasses. They don't keep track of who's served what. I once even got an extra snack plate this way. On an EWR-LAX flight they went back to coach to get more Dewars for me.

But all let's remember to be responsible. Make sure you can still find your way to the hotel shuttle when you get off and NOT! the rental car shuttle!!
boeingATL is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 9:31 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 2,729
Usually I stop at 12 drinks on my IAH to AMS/LGW/CDG flights. When I am flying coach I usually take out my drink coupons and order a scotch with a scotch and a scotch on the side. That usually keeps me busy for the duration of the flight. Should we all go to an AA meeting?
docr775 is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 9:33 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BGR; Lower Earth Orbit
Programs: UA Platinum
Posts: 16,786
Originally Posted by tbogart
I'm amazed you can remember all of this...
must be from the upper mid-west, specifically Wisconsin. I usually have 20 drinks before lunch on a slow day
WIRunner is offline  
Old Jun 19, 06, 9:42 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Posts: 1,243
I have GOT to remember the Grand Marnier and OJ. I usually go for a Bloody Mary, but the mix + bottle never is as good as the PC can make.
DawgmanOH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: