Wiki Posts
Search

Is CO Lax on Serving Booze?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Is CO Lax on Serving Booze?

So I get upgraded from CO Flt 1 (HNL-GUM) to First Class and a HNL-NGO-GUM flight in FC. The HNL-NGO is about a 8-9 hour flight and I had to have about 20 drinks on that flight. All the wine with the meal, sake with the japanese meal, port with the cheese, fruit and crackers... Then started with double bombay and tonics until I was about 20 down.

Is there no rule for not serving people too many drinks if they are in F? It was excessive, I just kept being brought more and more alchohol (not that there is anything wrong with that or I am complaining - I am not!) - I am just curious why the over kill and if this could be a security issue with F being so close to the cockpit and serving someone till he is slammed (and I was) - though I wasn't showing the signs.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Do you happen to weigh 460 lbs?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I asked a FA about that because I was given a 3rd on a short flight, and he said the "rule" is one double per hour. He said he'd break the rule for me. Of course I've seen that broken 100's of times, and I've also seen cutoff's in F class.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, SK *G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
So I get upgraded from CO Flt 1 (HNL-GUM) to First Class and a HNL-NGO-GUM flight in FC. The HNL-NGO is about a 8-9 hour flight and I had to have about 20 drinks on that flight. All the wine with the meal, sake with the japanese meal, port with the cheese, fruit and crackers... Then started with double bombay and tonics until I was about 20 down.
I'm amazed you can remember all of this...
Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tbogart
Perhaps another PAX left him a note with the accounting along with Depends coupons.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
I can't believe you didn't die of dehydration before making it back to GUM.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 4:14 pm

i dont think there is an official rule except the one from the CO mag that says CO must serve the actual alcohol to its passengers and that it reserves he right to refuse service to anyone appearing intoxicated.

i have had double after double on flights, in addition to wine service and post dinner cognac service. i have been very drunk on planes, but have never shown it. ok maybe once or twice.

i have been on numerous flights where (pre 9/11) i had finished all the crown royal on board, and also (post 9/11) all the JD on the plane.

i once asked for a glass of wine during initial decent but said, "only if one is open." the FA said, "hey, ill open another bottle, but you better finish it." i said "bring it on," and she kept that glass filled until she had to be seated.

mission accomplished however. i did walk off that plane rather toasty.

i think its totally up to the FA and their opinion of your behavior.

i once had a FA lock me in the FC lavatory after id had a few doubles. they thought it was just hilarious. they continued serving me through out the flight, with out asking me. that was the drunkest iah-tpa flight ever.

i actually try to enjoy myself in FC especially with friends. its like being at a bar in a big fat seat, with your best friend(s) or family with free booze service.

why not cut it up as long as other passengers are not bothered.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by dlen111
i dont think there is an official rule except the one from the CO mag that says CO must serve the actual alcohol to its passengers and that it reserves he right to refuse service to anyone appearing intoxicated.

i have had double after double on flights, in addition to wine service and post dinner cognac service. i have been very drunk on planes, but have never shown it. ok maybe once or twice.

i have been on numerous flights where (pre 9/11) i had finished all the crown royal on board, and also (post 9/11) all the JD on the plane.

i once asked for a glass of wine during initial decent but said, "only if one is open." the FA said, "hey, ill open another bottle, but you better finish it." i said "bring it on," and she kept that glass filled until she had to be seated.

mission accomplished however. i did walk off that plane rather toasty.

i think its totally up to the FA and their opinion of your behavior.

i once had a FA lock me in the FC lavatory after id had a few doubles. they thought it was just hilarious. they continued serving me through out the flight, with out asking me. that was the drunkest iah-tpa flight ever.

i actually try to enjoy myself in FC especially with friends. its like being at a bar in a big fat seat, with your best friend(s) or family with free booze service.

why not cut it up as long as other passengers are not bothered.
I agree and that what's I'm going to do next Friday when I take a week long vacation to Florida. The only problem is that the first leg of the flight is in the morning and I don't really drink alcohol in the morning.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Maybe they should re-brand BusinessFirst or First Class and call it StepZero.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
It is definitely, IMHO, dependent on the FA.

I have had some flights serve me Scotch after Scotch after Scotch (well, ok, the flights didn't serve it, the FAs did) and some flights where it has been two glasses of red wine and that is it (FA sat in her seat and read the latest on Brangelina).
Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Playboy
The only problem is that the first leg of the flight is in the morning and I don't really drink alcohol in the morning.
Grand Marnier and OJ is a fantastic combination for the morning
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
I too have had some very "liquid" flights up front, especially when you're in the center of a wide body. You have FA's circulating on both sides of you (the 767's are especially good for this 2-1-2) looking for empty glasses. They don't keep track of who's served what. I once even got an extra snack plate this way. On an EWR-LAX flight they went back to coach to get more Dewars for me.

But all let's remember to be responsible. Make sure you can still find your way to the hotel shuttle when you get off and NOT! the rental car shuttle!!
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:31 pm

Usually I stop at 12 drinks on my IAH to AMS/LGW/CDG flights. When I am flying coach I usually take out my drink coupons and order a scotch with a scotch and a scotch on the side. That usually keeps me busy for the duration of the flight. Should we all go to an AA meeting?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tbogart
must be from the upper mid-west, specifically Wisconsin. I usually have 20 drinks before lunch on a slow day
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I have GOT to remember the Grand Marnier and OJ. I usually go for a Bloody Mary, but the mix + bottle never is as good as the PC can make.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.