Weirdness in the Denver Presidents Club

Old Jun 7, 06, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Weirdness in the Denver Presidents Club

Okay, this is really strange.

I'm flying today from AUS to SFO via DEN. Because I had a lot of time in AUS before my flight (and because the terminal is a zoo), I bought a day pass for the CO Presidents Club. On arrival in Denver, I headed over to A40 and went up to the PC club (I'm going to get my money's worth from the pass ) -- that's where I am now.

There's no one here!

Though the doors were open, there was no one screening passes at the main door, no one in the club itself, no bartender -- nothing. The place is deserted, except for me and a couple of other passengers who have come in.

Nothing has been cleaned up, and I found a bottle of wine sitting on the bar, so I'm happy. I'm tempted to go behind the bar and start mixing drinks.

This is just eerie -- something out of Stephen King or the Twilight Zone.
Old Jun 7, 06, 7:54 pm
Suspended

This club is always empty. It was built with the anticipation that CO would have a hub there, as they did at Stapleton. But no. CO slashed their service in Denver as soon as the new airport opened. As a result, the club turned out to be too big for the limited flight operations that CO has remaining.
Old Jun 7, 06, 8:05 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Mariott Plat, National Exec. Elite, Hilton plywood elite, P-Club!
It Closes at 17:30

Go check the sign outside. It closes absurdly early and you must have snuck in while they were getting ready to slam it shut. I have set outide the doors many an evening using the Wi-Fi that leaks outside. Maybe the USO peolpe will let you have a place to sit. They stick around until almost 20:00.
Old Jun 7, 06, 8:07 pm

Programs: I fly UA, drive Hertz and sleep around...
CO's PClub in DEN closed at 5:30pm:

http://www.continental.com/travel/ai...ons.asp#denver
Old Jun 7, 06, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I hope you had a good time there. A hub in Denver: hmmm. Now LAX, that makes sense to me!
Old Jun 7, 06, 10:12 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
FYI - I think the day passes are only good at the club/city where issued.
Old Jun 7, 06, 11:26 pm

this maybe can go in the " what CO used to be" or " i remember" link, but damn, when CO was pumping up that denver hub, there was so much hoopla about the awesome new termianl with a super huge land bridge that connected the terminal and the most amazing PC in the system.

then before it even opened, bethune moved in and CO was dead in denver.

im not saying it was a bad move (except why the hell dont we have a west coast hub- shouldve bought HP when they had the chance), but they sank so much money into the denver operation.

im surprised they even keep that club open, or have not at least moved it to a smaller location.
Old Jun 8, 06, 12:18 am

Programs: UA Gold
I am in and out of the Denver PC all the time. During normal hours the place does a steady business and at times it is hard to find a place to sit. CO has 18-20 flights a day out of DEN and quite a few Elite fliers like myself that use the PC often. Is it as busy as a a hub PC, no, but it is used a lot and normally busy.
Old Jun 8, 06, 12:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by J.Edward
And only when the club is open.
Old Jun 8, 06, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Not according to the PC people in Austin.

Originally Posted by kymrbill
Go check the sign outside. It closes absurdly early and you must have snuck in while they were getting ready to slam it shut.
After an hour or so, when about a dozen other passengers had found their way in, someone from CO showed up, much chagrined, and chased us out (and not at all politely). I looked and, indeed, buried within the sign which is nowheres near the entrance door, it indicates that the club closes at 5:30 pm. Nonetheless, it was completely unlocked -- both the main entrance and the entrance to the club -- all the lights were on, WiFi was working, etc.
Old Jun 8, 06, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by PTravel
After an hour or so, when about a dozen other passengers had found their way in, someone from CO showed up, much chagrined, and chased us out (and not at all politely).
Well I hope you killed the bottle of wine. CLosing at 5:30. What a nerve!
Old Jun 8, 06, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rockdoc
I am in and out of the Denver PC all the time. During normal hours the place does a steady business and at times it is hard to find a place to sit. CO has 18-20 flights a day out of DEN and quite a few Elite fliers like myself that use the PC often. Is it as busy as a a hub PC, no, but it is used a lot and normally busy.
14 departures on CO metal actually, but if you include codeshares, I guess there are that many.

The P-club in DEN is a huge luxury, making it feel almost like the hub that it once was. Friendly staff, and it gets crowded before the LH 744 departs in the late afternoon.
Old Jun 8, 06, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
...After an hour or so, when about a dozen other passengers had found their way in, someone from CO showed up, much chagrined, and chased us out (and not at all politely). I looked and, indeed, buried within the sign which is nowheres near the entrance door, it indicates that the club closes at 5:30 pm. Nonetheless, it was completely unlocked -- both the main entrance and the entrance to the club -- all the lights were on, WiFi was working, etc.
Last time I looked, it was right next to the enterance door (unless you mean the enterance to the airport itself... ).

I'll be in there later today...I'll ask my favorite bartender what the story is.
Old Jun 8, 06, 7:20 am

Programs: UA:1K & MM
If you're connecting to NW, the Delta Club in Teminal A is kind of cozy. I think they have early closing hours as well, but I don't know for sure. They were more than happy to let me in on my PC card without a Delta ticket.

FWIW

DLM

PS, I think they have WiFi but you have to pay for it.
Old Jun 8, 06, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by dmunz
If you're connecting to NW, the Delta Club in Teminal A is kind of cozy. I think they have early closing hours as well, but I don't know for sure. They were more than happy to let me in on my PC card without a Delta ticket.
DL has joined NW & CO in reciprocal lounge access. You no longer need to be flying on DL (CO or NW will do) to access a DL CRC, as long as you have a PC card.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: