10 more 787's and 34 more 737NG

Old Jun 7, 06, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
As far as CO decision to go for 8/9 across, I think it depends on what others are doing. Should CO opt to operate the 787 in an 8 abreast configuration while competitors pack in 9 across, CO will face a very material competitive disadvantage. OTOH, if the majority of the operators go for a 8 abreast configuration I'd assume there would be less competitive pressure on CO to turn the lauded Dreamliner into a jammed spam can.

As for CO hyping it - why not? Crammed seating has never stopped CO from launching marketing campaigns before (or people from buying it). Besides, CO will focus on making people aware of the roominess of BF over Y space (however, CO may very well tout other amenities equally between the classes such as power, AVOD, etc.). Regardless, CO is in a position to hype; they have order new planes , can start new routes and could launch an improved version of BF for the 787's.
It won't matter if CO chooses 9 abreast seating if they decide to install Y seating similar to that offered by Thompson Solutions (ahem - Larry, Jeff? ) http://www.thompsonsolutions.co.uk/ts_economy.html
Old Jun 7, 06, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by CO 1E
It won't matter if CO chooses 9 abreast seating if they decide to install Y seating similar to that offered by Thompson Solutions (ahem - Larry, Jeff? ) http://www.thompsonsolutions.co.uk/ts_economy.html
I agree that the Thompson Solutions seats are ingenious. However, as a cynic, if they're successfull, I predict airlines will ask them to develop 10-across seating for 777/787 and 11-abreast for 747/380.
Old Jun 7, 06, 8:51 am
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Good point - I'd almost forgotten about that!

If CO - or anyone else for that matter - put this on their A/C, Y would be greatly improved. I mean, just think of getting your own armrest in Y so you can type without jabbing your seatmates!
Old Jun 7, 06, 9:00 am

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I agree - my assumption is that the -500s can't be long for the fleet and that the -300s will be close behind.
I hope that you are correct. The 500s are a bane to our existence and CO's as well. Good riddance 500s in 2009.
Old Jun 7, 06, 9:03 am

Programs: SWA, US AIRWAYS DIVEND MILES
I think they will defintely be a mix of 739ER and 738. From what I know the 739's are always filled up for the florida runs. It would make sense for them to order 739ER for florida, LAS, and hawaii runs. Although the 738 does it great, these a/c could be used in conjunction with air mike.

Now why didnt order the 789 is not my concern. I just hope they're happy with the 788. Any chances of ordering the 783? If they did it would useful for runs between hubs and florida, and maybe hawaii where there is cargo demand. Just my opinion.
Old Jun 7, 06, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Hunterton
I think they will defintely be a mix of 739ER and 738. From what I know the 739's are always filled up for the florida runs. It would make sense for them to order 739ER for florida, LAS, and hawaii runs. Although the 738 does it great, these a/c could be used in conjunction with air mike.
I don't think they'll use the 739ERs on Hawaii runs, as CO no doubt will want to continue to maintain its position as offering the best premium cabin service to Hawaii of any US carrier (BF).
Old Jun 7, 06, 9:21 am

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
Originally Posted by senatorgirth
It is my understanding that the 787 was designed by Boeing to ideally accommodate 8 across seating in Y, but many carriers--including CO--are cramming in 9 across by using narrower seats than those found on a 777/767. How can the addition of more 787's be greeted with cheers if it means an even more uncomfortable experience in Y?
Or even worse: http://www.jaunted.com/story/2006/4/25/122951/249 Sad to say that we will look back at 17"x 31" seating as the good-ole-days.

"New" is codeword for dastardly packed and uncomfortable transportation. Sardines anyone?
Old Jun 7, 06, 10:34 am

Talking

This just KILLED ME!!!!!

" These are valuable increases given the continued growth in average passenger size (particularly US nationals) and the remaining lifespan of the current generation of aircraft. "
Old Jun 7, 06, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Facevalue
I hope that you are correct. The 500s are a bane to our existence and CO's as well. Good riddance 500s in 2009.
Maybe when the new aircraft are brought in, they could be transferred to AA or US--it would simultaneously decrease the average aircraft age of all carriers involved.

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Jun 7, 06 at 11:23 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 7, 06, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Good point - I'd almost forgotten about that!

If CO - or anyone else for that matter - put this on their A/C, Y would be greatly improved. I mean, just think of getting your own armrest in Y so you can type without jabbing your seatmates!
In addition to improving pax comfort, installing seats such as the Thompson Solutions staggered examples would be of great marketing value to CO by helping to cultivate the perception that CO is the most cutting-edge of all US carriers with respect to international travel. For example, most "lay" flyers whom I know usually remark that CO's aircraft are the most modern and clean of any US carrier they have taken after they take their first int'l trip on CO (usually Y flyers, of course). Such perceptions would be enhanced(!) with a creative seating arrangement that improved pax comfort AND allowed CO to configure the aircraft with however many seats they desire. That way, CO could use the same marketing tool (i.e., the modern cabin with comfortable seats) to attract and retain elite repeat pax while at the same time luring leisure flyers to fill Y seats. Combine that with all the non-stop European destinations, and CO can solidify a dominant position vis-a-vis the other legacies.
Old Jun 8, 06, 10:27 am
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Neat BA Picture

CO's New 787's/737's File Photo
Old Jun 9, 06, 11:35 am

With everything cal is doing to upgrade the 757 fleet, i wish they would use the thompson solutions seats. http://www.thompsonsolutions.co.uk/ts_economy.html
Old Jun 9, 06, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just looking at the Thompson Solutions website again and thought it would be possible for CO to configure the 787 with a few rows of the "High Comfort" option as an elite section, then the remainder with the "High Capacity" seats. The difference in size and pitch of the High Comfort seats would not justify the creation of a Premium Economy class, thereby preventing CO from having to go down that road, but would create a low or neutral-cost perk to elites. The cost could be low or neutral because use of the High Capacity option allows an increase in the number of seats without a reduction in seat pitch and width. Therefore, the number of seats would increase even with a few rows of the High Comfort seats. I don't think this would result in a defacto Premium Economy class, just some extra comfortable elite rows - I would think the increase in comfort provided by the High Comfort option would be comfortable to the increase in comfort one experiences when seated in a bulkhead or exit row in Y. In any event, even if the entire aircraft were configured with the High Comfort seats, seating capacity would be the same as a standard 3-3-3 configuration (this all presumes the statements on the TS website would apply to the 787).

I wonder what the overall cost of such seats are (including weight re fuel consumption, design installation, and maintenance) compared with CO's current generation of uncomfortable Y seats?
Old Jun 9, 06, 2:36 pm

People keep linking to these seats, and they seem to be a great idea -

but has any Airline ordered them yet?
Old Jun 9, 06, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by jholiiday
People keep linking to these seats, and they seem to be a great idea -

but has any Airline ordered them yet?
Also, have they been approved for use by FAA, JAA and other agencies? Will Boeing and Airbus need to do new evacuation tests with them?

Search this Thread