Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Bad experience on CO redeye from SEA to MCO

Old May 28, 06, 9:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I flew a red eye not too long ago adn really wasn't impressed. I was in business class and slept through the meal. I buzzed them to get my meal and then they seemed to completely stop service. Granted most everyone was asleep, but everyone wasn't. It took them about an hour to come back and get my tray when I was done and I had to buzz for everything else I wanted. They didn't seem to check on anyone at all. Several FA's were crowded up front. I'm seriously considering writing CO a letter. I gave up miles for that nice seat and while it was night not everyone sleeps perfectly on planes. I felt seriously like nobody was paying attention. Am I being too sensitive here?
Old May 28, 06, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have noticed that the assumption on the redeyes seems to be that people want to sleep. The meal comes out reasonably quickly, and then everything is packed away. I don't believe the FA's meant to give bad service, I suspect their experience is that most people want to sleep--particularly if the redeye is on a Sunday or Friday!

I am not sure what writing a letter to Continental will do. You'll definitely get a response and some canned statement about not living up to your expectations, but I think that's it. Sorry.
Old May 28, 06, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I have noticed that the assumption on the redeyes seems to be that people want to sleep. The meal comes out reasonably quickly, and then everything is packed away.
I agree with that. The sooner the fuss is over the better. If I really want something I'll go to the galley and ask for it besides it's a great way to stretch your legs and get the blood moving.
Old May 29, 06, 11:34 am

Another d*mned if you do, d*mned if you don't. If the FA's were doing a walk through every so often, then someone would be complaining about being disturbed because they were trying to rest/sleep. If they don't, then they are being inattentive. What to do???
Old May 29, 06, 11:44 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta unvalued customer, HH Gold, CVS Red, US Mint Silver
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

you should not have to buzz to get help from the FA and especially not while in First Class (not sure why you said Business Class).

Regarding the damned if you do/damned if you don't... the FA should be able to make her way through the cabin without causing anyone distress.

Sounds to me like a typical situation of the FA's having a gab-fest in the galley when they should be doing their jobs instead.
Old May 29, 06, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I would always suggest writing a letter/email in these circumstances. With any customer service issue, it is always better to let the airline know. They do keep track of customer service complaints and issue advisories to the proper departments. Obviously, the in-flight service department needs to remind the FA's to walk through the cabin every so often (they are definitely supposed to do this).
Old May 29, 06, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
In my opinion, FAs should be trained to read minds. Or they can put a seat in the front of the FC cabin facing back, so that a FA can play headmistress looking at the school of FC passengers throughout the flight.

This way, the hungry OP can just raise his hand, and get food. No waiting, no buzzing, no walking to the galley.

I still like the mind-reading method better.
Old May 29, 06, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
In my opinion, FAs should be trained to read minds.
Love it! It shouldn't be that difficult to add to the list of things we expect FA's to do. They're supposed to be able to change the weather, delay connecting flights, know the contents of Continental Magazine, give movie reviews on demand, and these are the easy tasks. Mind reading should be a breeze.
Old May 29, 06, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
you should not have to buzz to get help from the FA and especially not while in First Class (not sure why you said Business Class).
Then why did they go to all the trouble to put in that damn call bell?? Sometimes you can walk through and everyone appears to be asleep. Then, as soon as you return to the galley, a call bell goes off.

Regarding the damned if you do/damned if you don't... the FA should be able to make her way through the cabin without causing anyone distress.
Yes, we should be able to make our way through the cabin without causing anyone distress, but we both know that if the FA was walking through every 15/20 minutes, someone would have a problem with it. Light sleepers, people with body parts hanging all out in the aisle(yes, even in first), etc. If the OP was awake during most of the flight, then the FA's should have been more attentive. They definitely should not have left the tray there for an hour. It only takes about 10 minutes to finish one those cold plates. If the OP was sleeping off and on, the maybe they were trying to not disturb.

Sounds to me like a typical situation of the FA's having a gab-fest in the galley when they should be doing their jobs instead.
Sounds like there may have been some FA's in the galley, but I don't remember anything being said about a gab fest, or the noise from the galley being excessive.
Old May 29, 06, 3:09 pm

Programs: CO AA
Red eyes

I agree with the above post by calflyboi. I consider myself to be a conciencious (sp) individual, and while I may not walk through the main cabin ever 15 minutes as required due to it being an obstacle course, I get off the forward jumpseat about every 15 minutes and look out at everyone in first class. if someone wants something, as soon as they can see me standing there they make some sort of a gesture. If an awake person never looks up, i will walk by and make the "can i get you something?" gesture (raised eyebrows, for example). I try to make it a point to be approachable from the moment someone steps on the plane so that no one is afraid to ask for anything. I don't do many domestic redeyes, but I am aware that people want to sleep. Ovens, carriers and overhead bins don't make a sound when closed properly, and i don't know why some people feel the need to slam them ...at night, especially.
Old May 29, 06, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I re-read the OP. If the OP was in the window seat with someone sleeping in the aisle seat, then he would not have been able "to get up and stretch his legs". Again, in the F cabin, the FA should look over the cabin to see if anyone needs anything. To me, it would be relatively easy because it breaks up the monotony for the FA of trying to stay awake on a redeye.
Old May 30, 06, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
I re-read the OP. If the OP was in the window seat with someone sleeping in the aisle seat, then he would not have been able "to get up and stretch his legs". Again, in the F cabin, the FA should look over the cabin to see if anyone needs anything. To me, it would be relatively easy because it breaks up the monotony for the FA of trying to stay awake on a redeye.
The FAs usually bring all their paperwork or a book for the red-eye. Even when not on red-eyes, once the main food service is done, the FAs do not patrol the isles very ofter. On the red-eyes they do this even less.

Per the meal, I'm sure it's the right believe that those who do not want the meal at takeoff will probably not want it in the middle of the night. Once requested, they did not refuse it but prepared it and heated the meal - thing that took a while.
Old May 30, 06, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Plat,HH Diamond,Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold (Thanks UA!)
Originally Posted by rkkwan
In my opinion, FAs should be trained to read minds.
Not a good idea. I have seen a few cute FAs that would slap me if they could read minds!
Old May 31, 06, 11:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant to get back to this sooner. Let me clarify. I was in the aisle and wasn't sleeping while my tray was there. It should have been clear that if I'm buzzing the overhead call button every 15 minutes that I'm awake. There were roughly 3 to 4 FA's in the front talking the whole time. When I buzzed, it often wasn't even the one who was in charge of the front who came back.

I worked as a waiter once upon a time and one of my best skills was being attentive without disrupting people. This was especially important when serving couples, especially young ones who still liked each other. I'd simply go by with a water jug acting routine and just look at their table. I might fill a glass I might not, but given that I was just walking by it wouldnt' bother them. An FA walking down the aisle, looking at everyone and trying to make eye contact isn't going to bother anyone. They don't have to walk down and tap everyone on the shoulder to see if anyone needs anything, but doing something other than standing up front chatting would be a damn good idea.
Old Jun 1, 06, 5:56 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Actually, aren't FAs supposed to do a walk-through every 15 minutes or so just for security reasons...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: