Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aborted IAH landing CO 2192 this morning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by BearX220
That's pretty scary. Was it a 737 by any chance? An uncommanded roll preceded the weird and still-unexplained US 737 crash on an approach to PIT in '94. That would sure get my attention.
Yup.

My understanding is this happened 20 or so times on record, I saw one of them, and 19 out of 20 ended well. You know your history... Yes, it was a very serious stomach-churner, I couldn't fly for two years.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:51 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Very expensive as well.

Aircraft is taken out of service and sent to maintenance.

Heavy wear and tear on engines with aborted landings.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:32 am

Programs: CO Plat, *wood Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boofer
Just landed on the second try on CO 2192 IND-IAH this morning. Capt said departing traffic on the runway hadn't cleared in time. I've never had this happen in the U.S. before. How common are these incidents?
These happen flying into BOS somewhat often, given the fog issues they face on the runway. I've been on two flights where just upon touchdown the pilot pulls up and banks away. There is apparently a 200-foot visibility window that closes up sporadically on very foggy days, requiring quick aborts.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Syzygies
My understanding is this happened 20 or so times on record, I saw one of them, and 19 out of 20 ended well. You know your history... Yes, it was a very serious stomach-churner, I couldn't fly for two years.
My condolences on a very bad experience, and also to TVCMH of course for the tragic loss of your cousin. (I lost my brother in a naval aviation crash... you never get over it, you just get on.)

I think it might be accurate to say 18 out of 20 ended well -- as TVCMH points out, a UA 737 augured in at COS in the early 1990s under very similar, odd circumstances: light load, clear sky, no other traffic, and the aircraft seized up and pointed straight down into the ground like a load of bricks. Not much the crew could do to help in that attitude. Mercifully quick though.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:10 pm

Programs: Continental One-Pass
Originally Posted by Boofer
Just landed on the second try on CO 2192 IND-IAH this morning. Capt said departing traffic on the runway hadn't cleared in time. I've never had this happen in the U.S. before. How common are these incidents?
As a pax on Aeromexico we once took 3 shots to get on the ground at SAT.
EVERYONE was crossing themselves and some were crying. The FO's voice
was cracking when he spoke over the PA. My wife and I looked at each other,
said, "I love you", and then sat back and relaxed for the final successful landing.

I later became a pilot myself and though MA's or aborts are not common they do
occur for most of us every so often due to weather minimums, ground or air traffic, etc.

Although we can't help but get a little tense as passengers, the procedures,
training and flight reviews make it very much routine for the crews.

JDD

"It's better to be down here wishing you were up there,
than to be up there wishing you were down here."
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by dlen111
....its even more nerve wracking when the pilot waits 5 minutes to come on the PA and explain what the hell just happened.

regardless, pretty common.

Yes, but please remember that it's a busy time in the cockpit after initiating a go-around. It's pretty uncommon to hear anything from the crew until after some time passes and they've got the plane back up and maneuvered where ATC wants it again.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:52 am

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
"Execute missed approach..."

"Execute missed approach..." And the turbines spool up to full power, the "G" forces press your butt down in the seat, the mechanical sounds of the landing gear comming up, winding sounds of flaps comming back in from fully deployed to take-off/climb out position, and we circle back around the bird farm into the landing pattern once again. It's like missing an exit off the interstate highway, you go straight instead of stopping. Happens to us all once in a while.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by rebadc
Very expensive as well.

Aircraft is taken out of service and sent to maintenance.

Heavy wear and tear on engines with aborted landings.
No it's not. It's like a normal take off. Now aborted take offs are a different story with the brakes and tires. But go arounds are no big deal. When I first started flight training and all through the whole process I've done 1000's of them.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by emailkid
Anyone remember EFD?
Sure. We are five minutes from there. Mrs. M8 flys out of there routinely on a corporate jet.

M8
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Originally Posted by umguy
No it's not. It's like a normal take off. Now aborted take offs are a different story with the brakes and tires. But go arounds are no big deal. When I first started flight training and all through the whole process I've done 1000's of them.
I think having a private license makes some of the ATC-related inconveniences of commercial air travel (ground holds, sequencing, go-arounds, long taxis, crew hours, weather avoidance routing, etc.) easier to understand and deal with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.