Wiki Posts
Search

First Missed Upgrade of 2006

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
First Missed Upgrade of 2006

Well I guess it had to happen at some time. I flew today from LAX-IAH on a 753 (24F seats) on a W fare as PLAT and sat in coach. That said, I came home to 2 more "OnePass Elite Upgrade Notification for Confirmation" emails. One from IAH-DEN and one from IAH-SEA. Still well above 90% for the year.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
what does non-rev platinum mean?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
The business travellers are getting more saavy. For the first time in 4 years, I faied to get a five-day on CLE-DEN. Six days out, it was F3 on a 733...they are waiting to book until the last minute to get the "Y" upgrade and tell the boss "hey, it was an economy-class ticket". I am too ethical to do that...

Feedback, anyone?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:40 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *wood Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonehead
The business travellers are getting more saavy. For the first time in 4 years, I faied to get a five-day on CLE-DEN. Six days out, it was F3 on a 733...they are waiting to book until the last minute to get the "Y" upgrade and tell the boss "hey, it was an economy-class ticket". I am too ethical to do that...

Feedback, anyone?
Bone, I'm confused about your last comment. What's unethical about buying a Y ticket and getting the upgrade if you're able?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by imalawyer
Bone, I'm confused about your last comment. What's unethical about buying a Y ticket and getting the upgrade if you're able?
OK, glad you picked up on that. Here's my take:

I suspect that a lot of business flyers have discovered CO's Y-up fares, and wait until the last minute to book, even if they know a week or two in advance of their travel plans.

I can't prove anything, but I watch the fare buckets on my flights like a hawk, and recent patterns seem to suggest a lot of late Y bookings.

If true, is this ethical? (Of course, if there really are more business travellers who have to go at the last minute, then my premise is flawed). If I'm right, then kudos to Larry and the gang for exploiting human nature and increasing CO's profit. This is made possible by the fact that CO's domestic F is in fact worth the extra $$$. Brilliant.

(edited to add that I would love to continue this discussion, but I need my beauty rest...).

Last edited by Bonehead; Mar 30, 2006 at 9:21 pm
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:52 pm

OK, glad you picked up on that. Here's my take:

I suspect that a lot of business flyers have discovered CO's Y-up fares, and wait until the last minute to book, even if they know a week or two in advance of their travel plans.

I can't prove anything, but I watch the fare buckets on my flights like a hawk, and recent patterns seem to suggest a lot of late Y bookings.

If true, is this ethical? (Of course, if there really are more business travellers who have to go at the last minute, then my premise is flawed). If I'm right, then kudos to Larry and the gang for exploiting human nature and increasing CO's profit. This is made possible by the fact that CO's domestic F is in fact worth the extra $$$. Brilliant.

(edited to add that I would love to continue this discussion, but I need my beauty rest...).
But what's the purpose of waiting, if your suspicion is true? I don't think the Y fare goes down the closer to the flight (e.g., EWR-BOS in Y is $620 whether I book it a month in advance or a day in advance). I'm lucky enough to be able to book Y fares for most of my flights, and I certainly don't like to wait until the last minute b/c I want to assure myself of the auto upgrade.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I believe his theory is that people whose companies' tell them they have to buy the lowest available coach fares purposely wait until just before the flight to book their flights so the only available fare is Y and can get upgraded immediately. Bonehead is suggesting it is unethical because he theorizes that they actually know their travel plans a couple weeks ahead of time but are waiting until the lowest fare is actually Y, costing their company needless extra money.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:14 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by imalawyer
But what's the purpose of waiting...
To get a confirmed seat but have 'plausabile deniability' about it not being the cheapest fare.

Let even the H's peter out and then , if F's available book the Y and say it was the only coach fare available.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by carpboy
To get a confirmed seat but have 'plausabile deniability' about it not being the cheapest fare.

Let even the H's peter out and then , if F's available book the Y and say it was the only coach fare available.
Gotcha @:-)
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've worked with people who were unethical enough to do things like this. I'm sure it happens.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP

-Vincent
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:57 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I've worked with people who were unethical enough to do things like this. I'm sure it happens.
Of course it does and the airlines plan on it. Why else the bump on full fare? If there was nothing but Y left and you had to buy it, what's the point of an UG? The lines know this and it is a de-facto discounted F seat.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:51 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, Avianca Platinum Exec

We always book a refundable fare (ostencibly a Y class ticket) because even when we know two weeks in advance when we are supposed to fly somewhere, times and dates change. Doesn't that happen with most business travellers? I guess it depends on the business.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by Wallstreet10006
We always book a refundable fare (ostencibly a Y class ticket) because even when we know two weeks in advance when we are supposed to fly somewhere, times and dates change. Doesn't that happen with most business travellers? I guess it depends on the business.
I never buy the Y even though sometimes I end up just, in essence, throwing the ticket in the trash. Why? Because you can buy ~3 regular coach tickets for the cost of one Y. Even if the dates change, you can always pay the change fee (not fun, but less than Y still).

I don't see the point in Y anymore considering the gulf in price compared to a regular economy (assuming purchasing far enough in advance).
Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:29 pm

Even though flights are full, I've noticed the situations where full Y is the only thing available a lot less often now than in the past, esp. with the advent of more flexible H and first class fares that can be booked the day before or day-of.

More often than not, when I see only Y open, there's a really good shot FC is already full. So, some people may gamble, but I think it's tougher to play that game than a couple of years ago.

That said, my company's policy is to book into full fare tickets for their flexibility and the discounts we get. Although when you do the math, it's probably more economical to buy the lowest prevailing fare, and swallow the change fee as noted on the times when things to change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.