Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What can one do with 27K orphaned CO miles?

Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P

I have about 27,000 CO miles at the moment, left over from when I lived in Houston in high school and when I flew home to visit family during college. I used to have 52,000 and was moving them to CO via Amtrak, but I only got halfway done before they yanked that.

I haven't flown CO in years, so this is a somewhat underinformed question (though I've been reading up in the CO forum), but what can I do with those miles? I understand finding award availability at the 25K level is rather hard. (I just looked on continental.com for an award from Washington DC to Las Vegas, and it had maybe two days in the next two months.) Any ideas / hints?

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:27 am
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Donate them to the J.Edward Education Fund.

But beyond that I think the free 25k ticket would be best (as it would only leave you with 2k). If CO has no space be sure to call in and ask about partners (NW, DL and AS) are all options in this regard.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Honestly, I've never had a problem booking a 25k ticket. I'm flexible and occasionally have to get tickets on partners, and maybe the rewards I usually book (IAH-YUL, IAH-YVR, IAH-MAA) aren't often flown. I have gotten 25k rewards the week before flying. Don't write off the miles without trying to book a flight.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
AMTRAK!

-Vincent
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:33 pm

27K? Not much. Unless you want to fly to some remote area out in the boonies, everything is Sleazy Pass only. So unless you have a way of getting another 23K for a Sleazy Pass coach award, not much you can do with 27K.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:06 pm

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by FlyAO2

He'd still be short by 3000 miles for a Standard FC award.
(27k + 15k sign up from the Chase card = 42k).
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Move 25K to Amtrak. Then move the 25K to Hilton, where you'll get 50K Hilton points.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:40 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by norisk
He'd still be short by 3000 miles for a Standard FC award.
(27k + 15k sign up from the Chase card = 42k).
Good point.... After you get the card, by a Big Screen TV too
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:23 am
flyer111

Eight dates, not two dates

Originally Posted by rafatmit
(I just looked on continental.com for an award from Washington DC to Las Vegas, and it had maybe two days in the next two months.) Any ideas / hints?

Thanks!
Simply not true. When logged in as gold, I see 18 dates in the next two months with award tickets WAS-LAX. When not logged in I see 8 dates. Not 2 dates.

Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Move 25K to Amtrak. Then move the 25K to Hilton, where you'll get 50K Hilton points.
You can move the entire amount to Amtrak, then get some gift cards or movie tickets eith whats left.

-Vincent
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rafatmit
I(I just looked on continental.com for an award
There's your mistake.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:45 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by flyer111
Simply not true. When logged in as gold, I see 18 dates in the next two months with award tickets WAS-LAX. When not logged in I see 8 dates. Not 2 dates.
The airport code for Las Vegas is LAS not LAX. Good news is 10+ days available in June for award tickets WAS-LAS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.