Community
Wiki Posts
Search

reward travel - OW usage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:55 am
Original Poster

reward travel - OW usage

I'm traveling MSY to EWR OW and wanted to use miles for the trip. Only EasyPass is available for the date that I want at 25k miles for the segment. OP CS says that OW rewards are 50,000 regardless, though I realized if I book a RT through CO.com with a return on a date that has availability at the 12.5k (standardpass) level, I'm only spending 37500 miles. I can re-deposit miles for a small fee.

OW cost for the ticket is $365. (no lower fares for RT purchase as this date is desireable)

Better to spend the $ or use miles?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jginnyc
I can re-deposit miles for a small fee.
I don't think you can redeposit miles after you've used the outbound ticket, so you're talking at least 37,500 miles for a $365 ticket. Unless you're hard up for cash or really looking to burn your miles, I'd pay cash.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Did you ask CO if there is anything available for 25,000 on NWA or DL?

Did you price out a tkt even r/t on DL where you would still earn 100% of the miles and EQMs, even NWA would earn you EQMs maybe they have cheaper fares. Or try any other carrier, if you are Only going 1 way you wont be missing out on that much mileage any way
Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Did you ask CO if there is anything available for 25,000 on NWA or DL?
didn't ask them but I want to go nonstop and there are no codeshare or other flights aside from ones that have a connection.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jginnyc
I can re-deposit miles for a small fee.
You can't redeposit half of an award. If you can get it for 37500 miles, just don't use the return. As for whether that's better than $365, that's up to you. For me at that price, I'd say it's a toss up. I'd probably spend the $.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 1:25 pm

I'm not sure about CO, but on UA (who allows one-way reward travel, but at the same mileage level as a r/t), they told me to book the return reward for a date as far out as the system would allow, and that I would have a year from that date to use it, for a $15 change fee.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 1:46 pm

Have you tried JetBlue? They fly MSY-JFK nonstop and have walk-up OW fares of about $210 all-in.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 1:59 pm

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
Why don't you just book a bogus return and not fly that segment? The standard reward travel is only 25K for a R/T tix. No sense in burning your mileage unless you have to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.