what to do with 13000 miles ?

Old Feb 12, 06, 8:04 am
LUC
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More (Sen), AAdvantage, HH Gold, Marriott Silv, Skymiles, Hertz 5 S Gold, Accor Silver,
what to do with 13000 miles ?

I have about 13000 continental Onepass miles.
I decided not to collect anymore Onepass miles. Whenever I travel on Continental, I will collect Delta Sky miles . Just reducing my number of accounts.

What can I do with 13.000 miles.

PS : I am belgian, travelling frequently to the US

thanks,

Luc
Old Feb 12, 06, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by LUC
Just reducing my number of accounts.
The smart way to do this is to credit enough miles to CO for an award you can use, THEN abandon your CO act.

There is nothing of real vallue you can do with 13K CO miles. I suggest you credit more...otherwise you are throwing them away.
Old Feb 13, 06, 3:32 pm

Programs: CO one pass gold
You could donate them to one of the charities Continental lists on their web site.
Old Feb 13, 06, 3:37 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
all of the above, or you can buy magazines with them:

milepoint.com I believe and gift them to friends in US.

They also have auctions on onepass, but I dont know if there
is anything useful there for 13k miles.

i'd go with the first suggestion. Collect about 12K more and get a ticket.
Old Feb 13, 06, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platnium, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, IHG Embassador
Originally Posted by LUC
I have about 13000 continental Onepass miles.
I decided not to collect anymore Onepass miles. Whenever I travel on Continental, I will collect Delta Sky miles . Just reducing my number of accounts.

What can I do with 13.000 miles.

PS : I am belgian, travelling frequently to the US

thanks,

Luc
You could sent them my way. Let me know if you need my e-mail address.
Old Feb 13, 06, 3:54 pm

Programs: hoarding miles
You can open an Amtrak Guest Rewards account and transfer the miles there at 1:1. (you can only transfer blocks of 5,000, so you would still abandon 3,000 miles in CO). Once in Amtrak, you can redeem the miles for quasi-cash instruments such as gift cards...
https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/i...lEntertainment
Old Feb 13, 06, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by JerryGuitar
You can open an Amtrak Guest Rewards account and transfer the miles there at 1:1. (you can only transfer blocks of 5,000, so you would still abandon 3,000 miles in CO). Once in Amtrak, you can redeem the miles for quasi-cash instruments such as gift cards...
https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/i...lEntertainment
I agree with the above. Try to accumulate another 2,000 miles to the CO onepass account and transfer 15,000 to Amtrak.
Old Feb 13, 06, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
You can always get a Chase World card and get 10K points. Another is to buy a prestige pack and get (I believe) 7,500. All adds up.
Old Feb 13, 06, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (MM), AA Lifetime Platinum (MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond,
since you can not transfer the miles to me (LOL) I suggest you choose an award that meets your needs and "round up" from another programme. IE: transfer 12,000 diners or amex miles and cash in for a free domestic coach ticket...or round up to 40,000 mi for an intl upgrage award (add 28,000 miles for rt or 7,000 mi for a one way).

Best: apply for a chase MC and get the sign-up bonus and then either spend or round up.

). u transfer dub
Originally Posted by NYC1K
You could sent them my way. Let me know if you need my e-mail address.
Old Feb 14, 06, 7:08 am

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
Those recommending the MC offer must remember that the original thread poster is Belgian... the offer usually apply to cards issued in the US. They will not issue a card unless he's residing (and financially eligible to apply) in the US.

May I suggest transferring to somebody else at market rate (at usually less than 2 pennies to the mile)? CO charges US$7.50 for transferring every 500 miles.
Old Feb 14, 06, 7:36 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kkua
May I suggest transferring to somebody else at market rate (at usually less than 2 pennies to the mile)? CO charges US$7.50 for transferring every 500 miles.
do you work for CO? because that just sounds like a moneymaker for CO. they get to make money on those miles a second time. and what a horrible transfer rate also.
Old Feb 14, 06, 10:10 am

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
No I don't... but I've done enough research on cheap biz ticket brokers dealing on mileage bartering systems. These brokers buy awards from high balance accounts at about 1.2 to 1.5 pennies to the mile and sell the awards at about 3 pennies to the mile. They are working around the rules by transferring awards instead of miles.

Better to transfer miles legitimately and pay directly to the seller off-line.
Old Feb 14, 06, 11:33 am
LUC
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More (Sen), AAdvantage, HH Gold, Marriott Silv, Skymiles, Hertz 5 S Gold, Accor Silver,
thanks for all the replies.

As I am not a US citizen, my options are limited.
Apparently transfering miles to somebody is also not a good option, as you have to pay (didn't find on the CO website how to do this : ??).

I will not collect further on onepass. If I would fly CO in the future, I will collect Delta miles. Why choosing to collect on Delta instead of CO : simple reason : Delta has 2 flights out of Brussels which are sometimes convenient for my business travel. The CO flight to EWR not at all.
So I choose Delta because I will fly Delta more often than CO in the future.
(Anyway : LH and SN are my "premium accounts" : Delta is my "Skyteam backup")

I probably will give my onepass miles to charity.

LUC
Old Feb 14, 06, 12:06 pm
Community Director

If you move CO miles to Amtrak, you can then move them on to Hilton, ultimately getting 2 Hilton points for every 1 CO point. You can currently stay at any Scandic property for 10K Hilton points. (This is increasing on Oct 1.)
Old Feb 14, 06, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
If you move CO miles to Amtrak, you can then move them on to Hilton, ultimately getting 2 Hilton points for every 1 CO point. You can currently stay at any Scandic property for 10K Hilton points. (This is increasing on Oct 1.)
ya, once you get them to Amtrak you can do a lot of things with them.
Charity is a nice thought too, but 10,000 CO miles = $100 Gift Card to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

Search this Thread