CLE-SFO, is $400 typical?

Old Feb 7, 06, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: hoarding miles
CLE-SFO, is $400 typical?

I am looking to go CLE-SFO for a friend's wedding next fall, and the fare is checking in at $400 w/ taxes. Seems a little steap, but I realize CO is the only carrier with a non-stop on this route. Is this price typical, or might I expect the fare to come down before then? (not asking you to look into a crystal ball, but what have others paid for this route in the past?)

btw, dates are 9/15-9/19 (FRI-TUES)

Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 06, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Unfortunately, it's hard to say this far out when or if prices will drop. $400 seems a little steep to me, but I don't know the route. I have booked flights in the past to see fares drop by three hundred dollars a few weeks later. All you can do is set a price you're comfortable paying, then when it hits it, bite the bullet and ticket it...
Old Feb 7, 06, 10:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Seems perfectly resonable.

-Vincent
Old Feb 7, 06, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
CO's been trying to make CLE-west coast flights be local traffic, and I guess they are making more money on them now.
Old Feb 7, 06, 12:00 pm

This is high for CLE-SFO but not unreasonably so. Typically I will see prices drop to the $200 range, so you may want to wait and see if prices drop.
Old Feb 7, 06, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately the lowest published fare on CO (for September) is $385+ tax (U fare). AA and UA's lowest fares (for example) are roughly the same for that time period. February fares go as low as $200 + taxes (L class), so CO may very well publish lower fares for the fall between now and then (though inventory availability would be a different story).

This appears to be a good example of the "new" revenue management -- that is sell high fares well in advance, adjust (lower) the fares closer to departure according to loads.
Old Feb 7, 06, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
This appears to be a good example of the "new" revenue management -- that is sell high fares well in advance, adjust (lower) the fares closer to departure according to loads.
on the one hand, i applaud CO for a pricing model based on sound economic principles. on the other hand, i hate it as a plan-ahead guy. guess i'll have to sit on my hands for a couple months.
Thanks for the input.
Old Feb 7, 06, 2:45 pm

Cle_sfo

I wouldn't pay more than 250$. My friend paid 200$ for SFO-CLE.
Old Feb 7, 06, 3:25 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Try flying Thu-Tue...
Friday flights are always more expensive.

IMHO, $400 for a round trip is not cheap but not excessive either.
Old Feb 7, 06, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Billiken
Try flying Thu-Tue...
Friday flights are always more expensive.

IMHO, $400 for a round trip is not cheap but not excessive either.
As I pointed out, the lowest published fare in September (using that as a proxy for next "fall" per the OP) is ~$400 with tax. There are no less expensive fares available to anyone on this route in September at the current time. They may publish cheaper fares in the next few months, but the OP will have to wait.

Friday being generally more expensive is most likely a function of inventory availability, a separate topic from fare availability, as I believe most domestic fares are not day-specific.
Old Feb 7, 06, 4:37 pm

I would wait a bit unliekely to go up in the next 30 days. Sept is usually a slow month and fares actually come down. I think airlines are now penalizing early (like wy early buyers). The truth is they have no idea what the market will be next september. Even looking in April I see fares that will most surely come down...
Old Feb 7, 06, 6:45 pm
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
$400 is high. Something closer to $300 is more typical. On rare occasion, one gets lucky. I'm flying CLE-CFO-CLE Apr 26-28 for a mere $242.90 including tax.
Old Feb 7, 06, 9:05 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Sounds reasonable to me too.
Old Feb 8, 06, 4:56 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
try flying into oakland. southwest flys there.
Old Feb 8, 06, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bearkatt
try flying into oakland. southwest flys there.
no thanks! (to both oakland and southwest)

Search this Thread