Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

unscheduled change of plane in IAH - Do I get the extra miles?

Old Feb 4, 06, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold

I was on CO 427 on 2/4. It was scheduled for SAN-EWR. Above Santa Fe, we did an S turn that I wasn't expecting. A bit later, the pilot came on and said we had a situation. I missed a bit of the announcement, but either a heater in the elevator or a sensor checking a temperature in the elevator had failed. Since there was a chance of icing while descending into EWR, they decided to let us see scenic IAH. (We also had the excitement of an aborted approach into IAH followed by an announcement that we needed to spend 15-20 minutes flying around over Houston burning fuel to get down to our maximum landing weight.) At IAH, we all moved over to another plane, and finished our trip. (There were however a bunch of groans and comments when the FA made the announcement about how we were on a non-stop flight to EWR (as part of the spiel about making sure you're on the right plane).)

My question is, should I expect or request the extra miles for a SAN-IAH-EWR flight instead of a SAN-EWR flight? It looks like it'd be about 300 EQMs, so it's not major, but I'm curious.

(In case the rumors are true and CO is correlating posts with passengers, I was in seat 4A and was disappointed that the FA had no record of my request for a low cholesterol meal. Also, my steak was overcooked. (When fate determines I'm to have the wrong meal, I try to enjoy it.))
Old Feb 4, 06, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA; The Peninsula
Hmmm... Good question, but my guess is that since it's the same flight number, it's considered a direct flight. Thus, no extra miles.
Old Feb 5, 06, 8:35 am

Even if it had been a scheduled plane change in IAH, you would only get nonstop mileage and one EQP for a "direct" SAN-IAH-EWR flight.

You might get some banked miles as a customer relations bonus if you write about the mech delay and the lack of special meal, however.
Old Feb 5, 06, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on an AA flight that was direct with a stop in Chicago, and they made us change planes. I wrote AA and complained, first and foremost, about the deceptive marketing of a "direct" flight and the inconvenience, but I also asked for the individual segment mileage, which was a little bit more than the "nonstop" miles, and they gave it no problem, plus I think a decent bonus for the inconvenience.
But when there is some type of in-air emergency that requires an unscheduled stop/diversion, I personally don't think it's appropriate to ask for, nor is it appropriate for CO to give you, any extra miles. Be glad you arrived safely at your destination.
Old Feb 5, 06, 8:44 pm

Programs: Premier 1K *G, MM, UA Club, Admirals Club Lifetime, Hyatt Platinum
2,425 EQMs only on a SAN-EWR nonstop.

The IAH stop was a mechanical issue, not a scheduled stop or connection,
so no extra miles. However you should have gotten in IAH or EWR a 'flight interruption packet' with a 5 minute phone card and a $off voucher for a future CO flight. If you didnt that would be a fair request, as most get that on mechanical interruptions.

Let us know.
Old Feb 5, 06, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't realized scheduled "direct" flights resulted in non-stop miles rather than actual route miles. Given that, I don't think I'll ask for anything.

(We didn't get trip interruption packs. It seemed that they were mostly trying to get us off of one plane and onto the other as efficiently as possible. Perhaps they could have done that during reboarding, but given that they were checking people off the list by hand, they were pretty busy at that point already. As it was, those of us in first had to deign to eat BBQ sandwiches from coach or have nothing for the snack on the IAH-EWR leg.

Now the guy seated next to me did seem to want them to call maintenance to fix his overhead light before we left, but given how demanding he'd been through the entire flight, the FAs didn't seem to think it was worth delaying the rest of us further for his sake.)

Thanks to all.

Scott
Old Feb 5, 06, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by MarcoBJ
However you should have gotten in IAH or EWR a 'flight interruption packet' with a 5 minute phone card and a $off voucher for a future CO flight. If you didnt that would be a fair request, as most get that on mechanical interruptions.
I received a "Customer (We don't) Care Kit" for an aircraft swap and three hour delay at IAH. The GA (who was about to have a breakdown during the whole event) made friends when all the people in line for rebooking were told she was halting rebooking to allow for distribution of the packs. She was very insistant everyone received a comment card instead of complaining to her. The guy next to me pointed out to the crowd that the comment card was worthless since it was still signed by and addressed to Gordon Bethune.
Old Feb 5, 06, 11:27 pm

Programs: Premier 1K *G, MM, UA Club, Admirals Club Lifetime, Hyatt Platinum
BTW, what time did you end up arriving in EWR on the 4th?
Old Feb 6, 06, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Right around 11p. We were delayed about 2 hours.
Old Feb 6, 06, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had FAs pass around flight interruption paks on board after mechanical delays. (And I've also had CO mail me vouchers after the fact for the same flight...)
One was used on a transcon A fare and one was used on an X fare to Florida ($135 r/t before the voucher), so I guess its debatable whether they're "good" for CO...