FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   $3800 voucher for sale on ebay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/522613-3800-voucher-sale-ebay.html)

p9142 Feb 3, 2006 6:54 pm

$3800 voucher for sale on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Continental-Airl...QQcmdZViewItem

It looks kindof fishy, because its from Australia, and he only accepts cashiers checks, but I thought someone here might be interested.

ONTRandy Feb 3, 2006 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by p9142
http://cgi.ebay.com/Continental-Airl...QQcmdZViewItem

It looks kindof fishy, because its from Australia, and he only accepts cashiers checks, but I thought someone here might be interested.

"Kind of fishy"....good grief....I think Ray Charles could see the scam in this...

skibum_nj Feb 3, 2006 9:46 pm

Well there are already 12 bids and it's at $910 at the moment. PT Barnum was right on the money.

ONTRandy Feb 3, 2006 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by skibum_nj
Well there are already 12 bids and it's at $910 at the moment. PT Barnum was right on the money.

yep....the fool's money just boarded the non-stop flight...

cerealmarketer Feb 3, 2006 11:45 pm

I saw one of these go on 'buy it now' for about 2600 (but 3800 value). At that time, it had the same email contact, but Palo Alto as the location.

If it weren't for the switching location, check requirement, and fact that it's the same $$ amount again I'd think it more legit. A lot of times corporate travelers will cancel nonrefundable tickets and leave the credit unused up to the year expiration since the credit is generally held by their travel agent.

Generally, the credit is only valid for the original credit card used for purchase, unless you use the credit to buy something like a co.com gift account, which is transferable.

So, a less than scrupulous travel agent could have a bunch of these on a corporate account about to expire, and roll them into a gift account, esp. if the company has master billing.

ljderm Feb 4, 2006 1:06 am

I think there are many scenarios in which this could be legitimate, however it is not for me! It sounds exactly like all the vouchers I have received in the past and the fine print clearly describes the most important caveat of all CO vouchers--it can only be used on one transaction. No MCO or reissued cert for unused value. So for someone about to buy a BF ticket it might represent a good value, but not for someone buying a lot of $600 tickets. I always wonder if someone bidding on one of these will know this.

My favorite scenario: Traveller received high cost refundable ticket paid for with his company CC. He downgrades or completely cancels his trip and has a choice of a credit back to his company CC or a voucher, that he can perhaps sell. I think in the scenario from cerealmarketer a voucher from a non-refundable ticket is non transferrable. Also DBC vouchers are transferrable, but I have never seen one that large. Anything is possible, though.

For what its worth, my 2c.

mitchell Feb 4, 2006 2:21 am

Another scenario could be a Business bump.

On my last flight, KLM gave the business bump (1) full refund on original ticket (2) $2,000 bump voucher (3) business on the next flight

Pretty nice...

Cris L Feb 4, 2006 2:57 am

Originally Posted by mitchell
Another scenario could be a Business bump.

On my last flight, KLM gave the business bump (1) full refund on original ticket (2) $2,000 bump voucher (3) business on the next flight

Pretty nice...

KLM did this ? Amazing - it's the first time I have ever seen anything that I would consider calling KLM generous!!

AZ_MISMAN Feb 4, 2006 9:51 am

It's been cancelled...

allergictocoach Feb 4, 2006 10:08 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I saw one of these go on 'buy it now' for about 2600 (but 3800 value). At that time, it had the same email contact, but Palo Alto as the location.

If it weren't for the switching location, check requirement, and fact that it's the same $$ amount again I'd think it more legit. A lot of times corporate travelers will cancel nonrefundable tickets and leave the credit unused up to the year expiration since the credit is generally held by their travel agent.

Generally, the credit is only valid for the original credit card used for purchase, unless you use the credit to buy something like a co.com gift account, which is transferable.

So, a less than scrupulous travel agent could have a bunch of these on a corporate account about to expire, and roll them into a gift account, esp. if the company has master billing.

DO NOT BUY THESE> I SAW A PERSON CANCEL ONE THE OTHER DAY AFTER STATING HIS ACCT. HAD BEEN COMPROMISED AND THE ITEM WAS LISTED BY SOMEONE ELSE.

I posted a ? about these a week or so ago. They always have the same text but are in diff. locations. One weird thing is they usually say they are only good for one time use. At the bottom, the text usually includes the standard CO Gift Cert. text that states the voucher is good until it expires or has no value. These have been around in amounts up to 9K since before Christmas and they are almost certainly a scam in most cases.