Question about Seat Assignments

Old Feb 2, 06, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold
Question Question about Seat Assignments

Some family and I will be flying IAH-CDG-IAH CO10/11 Leaving 3/11 Returning 3/18. I am having trouble getting seats locked down for my family members. Heres how it went down:

1) I booked myself first on my own itinerary, and was able to select seats in premium coach outbound and return. (This was in mid Jan.)

2) The next day I booked 3 others on a one itinerary, and was able to only select outbound seating IAH-CDG, and not the return.

3)Yesterday another family member decides to go, so I booked them, and was not able to select seats on either segment.

The seat map is showing availible seats, on both flights, and two calls to CO (on in mid Jan., one yesterday) garnered the same answer "the seats are under airport control, then will be assigned at check-in".

We are still over a month away from the flight, why are have they been locked so far out?

Any suggestions on what I can do to get them assigned seats?

Thanks,

-Andrew
Old Feb 2, 06, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Hmm

Originally Posted by andrewsheehan
Some family and I will be flying IAH-CDG-IAH CO10/11 Leaving 3/11 Returning 3/18. I am having trouble getting seats locked down for my family members. Heres how it went down:

1) I booked myself first on my own itinerary, and was able to select seats in premium coach outbound and return. (This was in mid Jan.)

2) The next day I booked 3 others on a one itinerary, and was able to only select outbound seating IAH-CDG, and not the return.

3)Yesterday another family member decides to go, so I booked them, and was not able to select seats on either segment.

The seat map is showing availible seats, on both flights, and two calls to CO (on in mid Jan., one yesterday) garnered the same answer "the seats are under airport control, then will be assigned at check-in".

We are still over a month away from the flight, why are have they been locked so far out?

Any suggestions on what I can do to get them assigned seats?

Thanks,

-Andrew
This happened to me on a BF flight from EWR-EDI. It turns out the Dalai Lama was in BF on the flight as well. From what I could tell, they wanted to make sure those sitting around him were not a threat. That was my experience.
Old Feb 2, 06, 6:58 pm
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonToLA
This happened to me on a BF flight from EWR-EDI. It turns out the Dalai Lama was in BF on the flight as well. From what I could tell, they wanted to make sure those sitting around him were not a threat. That was my experience.

Wait!!! His Holiness the Dalai Lama, aka Yeshe Norbu, aka the Wish-fulfilling Gem, aka Kundunthe, the 1987 recipient of the Albert Schweitzer Humanitarian Award Human Behavior Foundation, recipient of the Shiromani Award 1991 Shiromani Institute, Delhi India, the manifestation of the Buddha of Compassion who chose to take rebirth for the purpose of serving other human beings... he flies in Business First???
Old Feb 2, 06, 8:46 pm

I think there is a threshold which varies on different routes/aircraft where the seat assignments go to "airport control" independent of the departure date. Someone said that this was to allow last minute "full fare" passengers to confirm seats on a near sold out flight, which would make sense.

Try booking an unrestricted coach ticket and see if it will allow you to get a seat on your flights.

Of course your flights may already be oversold which would explain everything.

Keba
Old Feb 2, 06, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I tried booking those flights. The non-elite section on both flights are pretty full, with only scattered seats left. However, if I log in as Gold Elite, I can get seat confirmation for a seat up in the blue section. Try log on as yourself, then pull those confirmations. You should be able to get the blue seats for them.

Search this Thread