$99 Companion Questions - Prestige Pack

Old Feb 1, 06, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum
$99 Companion Questions - Prestige Pack

I am finally going to use this $99 companion voucher. When I called a while back I was told that it is valid when booking any class of service but that I could NOT use miles to upgrade my $99 companion (ie 15,000 for first class) She explained that they just dont allow it. Has anyone else found this to be true. Sometimes you call back and you are told something else from another agent.

Secondly in booking. I am told you book the two tickets and confirm them online. Call the electronic support 800 number and they do something to the record. You then mail the voucher and the correct amount will appear on your card. Not the easiest but it certainly saves some $$$.

Any feedback or insight on either of the above is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 1, 06, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by dcaflyer1
Secondly in booking. I am told you book the two tickets and confirm them online. Call the electronic support 800 number and they do something to the record. You then mail the voucher and the correct amount will appear on your card. Not the easiest but it certainly saves some $$$.
The $99 coupon in my "Pack" contains a PIN which one can enter on co.com when one books the two tickets. No need to mail in the coupon. In any case you can always call the electronic support desk if you have problems on co.com. The support representatives who respond seem to be very capable in resolving booking problems on their website.
Old Feb 1, 06, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
The $99 companion certificate I had from my 2005 Prestige Pack did not specify that the companion ticket was not eligible for upgrade using miles. I redeemed miles for myself and my companion to upgrade the full roundtrip. Nothing was mentioned at the time about it not being allowed on this ticket. However, when I redeemed the miles, I had to waitlist for the upgrade. A few days before the trip, CO.com showed the return upgrade could now be confirmed so I called. The agent processed it. Then 15 minutes later they called back to say we couldn't upgrade on this ticket with miles and we would be flying in coach. I didn't worry about it, but the agent apparently never really put us back in coach, nor did she complete the upgrade confirmation. We ended up with an out-of-synch reservation with seats in both coach and first class. On check in at the airport for the original departure (which the waitlist never did clear on - we sat in the back and the miles were redeposited), an airport agent noticed the record was not in sync so she fixed it and confirmed us in first class for the return. So, I don't know if we broke the rules or not. According to one agent we did, a couple of others who never questioned using miles to upgrade the ticket seemed fine with the whole thing.

My suggestion is to call. It never hurts to ask, and you might get it. If not, then just enjoy the trip on the cheap ticket.
Old Feb 1, 06, 10:31 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
The $99 coupon in my "Pack" contains a PIN which one can enter on co.com when one books the two tickets. No need to mail in the coupon. In any case you can always call the electronic support desk if you have problems on co.com. The support representatives who respond seem to be very capable in resolving booking problems on their website.
Well that depends when the Priv. Pack was purchased. Priv. Packs purchased early to mid 2005 are still in the coupon form without the CO.com PIN. So unless the OP recently purchased the Priv. Pack, s/he'll have to either mail in the physical cert (after holding the ticket booked online--a method described by a search) or taking it down to a ATO/CTO.
Old Feb 2, 06, 11:58 am

Programs: UA, Delta, SPG, MAR
As for upgrades. The rules, while not stated, are clear - no mileage upgrade. I tried to argue that it wasn't in the T&Cs for quite sometime, escalating to the manager and it did not work. However, ellite upgrades are allowed and fare class for this purpose is the original fare class on the paid ticket for both.
Old Feb 5, 06, 9:52 am

Programs: Continental Silver Elite, *wood Gold, HHonors Gold, WN
Another thing to be wary of if you have non-electronic privilege pack certificates (related to your second question) -- make sure that you ask them to waive the call center fee when you hold the reservation online. I asked specifically when I booked the discounted fare, and assumed they would do the same when I booked the companion fare. At the ticket office (I work in downtown Houston so I just brought it in instead of mailing it), I had to get on the phone with a CSR to get the fee waived. She made a big deal out of the fact that they would do so "as a one time courtesy" because I was elite -- all because Continental's system wasn't equipped to permit me to book it online! I was not pleased, but got what I needed so thanked her and finished the booking. If you've got old certs, start the booking online, call and have them hold it while you mail in the cert (or go to a ticket office), and make SURE that they agree to waive the $10 ticketing fee. I don't have a problem with charging fees for something that could have been done online, but if they can't let you do it yourself online, you shouldn't have to pay!
Old Feb 14, 06, 8:10 am

Another prestige pack question

Regarding the prestige pack 99$ companion ticket - Can this be used for a multi-destination trip (ie. Chicago to LAX, then San Diego to Chicago)? Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 06, 9:13 am

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
Originally Posted by DJH793
Regarding the prestige pack 99$ companion ticket - Can this be used for a multi-destination trip (ie. Chicago to LAX, then San Diego to Chicago)? Thanks.
This past December I had a good phone agent that was able to help me with something similair (multi-city trip). It took a while, but eventually she ended up just making the companion $49.50 per "segment". So PHL-PHX-MCI-EWR, ended up $148.50. Not quite a $99/companion, but I was pleased with the outcome as I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it at all. So as is said many times on this site, if you get an answer that you don't like, hang up and call until you get someone that can help. Good luck.

dan
Old Feb 14, 06, 9:45 am

Based on experience, do you guys think these prestige packs are worth it? I was just looking at them online today
Old Feb 14, 06, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by kersie
Based on experience, do you guys think these prestige packs are worth it? I was just looking at them online today
With the 7,500 miles, $99 Companion Pass and discount certificate (and the travelcase ), I find that these are definitely worth it. A few other benes are included, but I generally have not found them to be as worthwhile.
Old Feb 14, 06, 10:38 am

What about -Y- Fares?

Originally Posted by const3
As for upgrades. The rules, while not stated, are clear - no mileage upgrade. I tried to argue that it wasn't in the T&Cs for quite sometime, escalating to the manager and it did not work. However, ellite upgrades are allowed and fare class for this purpose is the original fare class on the paid ticket for both.
What happens if you purchase a Y fare if you are both elite? Both tickets would be Y class so could you both confirm upgrades at the time of ticketing? Last time I used them we were both EUA'd.

Keba

Search this Thread