FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   CO/Partners route to PPT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/521368-co-partners-route-ppt.html)

dsmntlr Jan 31, 2006 8:04 pm

CO/Partners route to PPT

Anyone flown from EWR/JFK to PPT on CO or a Skyteam alliance partner? Trying to work out an award flight for late '06.

Thanks!

John

BigPoppaCO Jan 31, 2006 8:21 pm

I thought this thread was about a PowerPoint presentation you put together showing all of CO's destinations

dsmntlr Jan 31, 2006 8:24 pm

lol

haha. That would be sweet. The ultimate "I have to much time on my hands" thread.

I've got a potential route EWR - LAX, LAX - PPT via CO and AF. I'm thinking that's the best option.

John

Kiwi Flyer Jan 31, 2006 8:29 pm

AFAIK the only airline choices are Air France, Air Tahiti Nui and Air NZ.

billiam Jan 31, 2006 10:34 pm

Let us know how it goes for getting the LAX-PPT on AF with CO miles. I've always wondered about the chances of getting that...

dsmntlr Feb 1, 2006 6:15 am

Originally Posted by billiam
Let us know how it goes for getting the LAX-PPT on AF with CO miles. I've always wondered about the chances of getting that...

Will do.

utwes Feb 1, 2006 8:24 am

Last April, my wife and I flew LAX-PPT via AF for our honeymoon. 150k miles each for a J award in a 3-class 747. It's my understanding that this is the only award (no standard vs easypass), but you can only couple it with a standard CO connection.

I booked it in August (for an April flight) and it was within the first month of AF being added into the SkyTeam, so I might have been lucky with my timing.

The agent told me that AF doesn't release any F inventory to partners, but it was my understanding that Y was available, although I didn't ask specifically.

It IS possible, but good luck. Oh, and as expected, I had to buy the AUS-LAX leg myself and hope for the upgrades to clear as there was obviously no CO Standard awards available that I could couple with the AF award.

As an aside - last month I booked an intra-Europe flight (CDG-NAP) on AF in F (for March), as I couldn't get CO flights (in the standard award bucket) from the US to Italy direct. Again, pretty good availability (on the AF part), and now I get a weekend in Paris, so it works out...

Air Tahiti Nui also used to offer 2-for-1 first/business class tickets from LAX to PPT and the just opened up a connecting flight out of JFK last year, so I'd expect them to have some sort of specials for the JFK crew. Although I ended up not flying them, by all accounts, the quality hierarchy of getting to PPT goes: Qantas (via SYD), Air NZ, ATN, and then AF. The old AF 747s had limited entertainment options (no power or VOD, no individual monitors in Y) and were the old-style AF business seats. Food obviously, was very good. ATN will allow you to redeem, but not earn AAdvantage miles, of course, if you fly JFK-PPT, you might earn enough ATN miles to get a free economy ticket, but obviously, you'd have to research that.

dsmntlr Feb 1, 2006 8:52 am

Originally Posted by utwes
Last April, my wife and I flew LAX-PPT via AF for our honeymoon. 150k miles each for a J award in a 3-class 747. It's my understanding that this is the only award (no standard vs easypass), but you can only couple it with a standard CO connection.

I booked it in August (for an April flight) and it was within the first month of AF being added into the SkyTeam, so I might have been lucky with my timing.

The agent told me that AF doesn't release any F inventory to partners, but it was my understanding that Y was available, although I didn't ask specifically.

It IS possible, but good luck. Oh, and as expected, I had to buy the AUS-LAX leg myself and hope for the upgrades to clear as there was obviously no CO Standard awards available that I could couple with the AF award.

As an aside - last month I booked an intra-Europe flight (CDG-NAP) on AF in F (for March), as I couldn't get CO flights (in the standard award bucket) from the US to Italy direct. Again, pretty good availability (on the AF part), and now I get a weekend in Paris, so it works out...

Air Tahiti Nui also used to offer 2-for-1 first/business class tickets from LAX to PPT and the just opened up a connecting flight out of JFK last year, so I'd expect them to have some sort of specials for the JFK crew. Although I ended up not flying them, by all accounts, the quality hierarchy of getting to PPT goes: Qantas (via SYD), Air NZ, ATN, and then AF. The old AF 747s had limited entertainment options (no power or VOD, no individual monitors in Y) and were the old-style AF business seats. Food obviously, was very good. ATN will allow you to redeem, but not earn AAdvantage miles, of course, if you fly JFK-PPT, you might earn enough ATN miles to get a free economy ticket, but obviously, you'd have to research that.

Just got off the phone with CO. AF hasn't released any award tickets in any class to Continental yet. I'm thinking I'll to ride this one out. I'm also considering Air NZ through United. Their award is actually cheaper, 150K for first class instead of biz for 150k through CO. Thanks a ton for the info!

John

sbm12 Feb 1, 2006 9:37 am

Originally Posted by dsmntlr
Just got off the phone with CO. AF hasn't released any award tickets in any class to Continental yet. I'm thinking I'll to ride this one out. I'm also considering Air NZ through United. Their award is actually cheaper, 150K for first class instead of biz for 150k through CO. Thanks a ton for the info!

John

Interesting to hear that. I'm not sure how far out you are looking, but I was able to get two seats on a DL reward for 150K in J for a friend flying 11/19-11/30. JFK-ATL-LAX-PPT and back. The DL segments were in F and the AF in J. There were no December dates released when I called, but there are some "late '06" reward seats out there.

S.

Kiwi Flyer Feb 1, 2006 12:34 pm

Air NZ doesnt have first.

dsmntlr Feb 1, 2006 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Interesting to hear that. I'm not sure how far out you are looking, but I was able to get two seats on a DL reward for 150K in J for a friend flying 11/19-11/30. JFK-ATL-LAX-PPT and back. The DL segments were in F and the AF in J. There were no December dates released when I called, but there are some "late '06" reward seats out there.

S.

Called back...no awards on the day I wanted to travel but there was availability 3 days later in coach :( , so I took it. Was going for 11/14-11/28, now I've got 11/17 - 11/28. Unfortunately the 11/31 return option was also booked. Thanks for the help!

John