Search

CO Responds to My Complaint

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:48 pm
RNE
Original Poster

CO Responds to My Complaint

Continental responds to my complaint:

On CO2 HNL-IAH on 16 JAN 06, just after the cabin door closed I overheard an FA from coach ask an FA from First Class if two passengers who are "worried" about making a 35-minute connection in IAH could sit in FC, so they could get off the plane more quickly. (There were a few empty seats up there, all of which I was salivating over.) Now, mind you, flight 2 was not leaving late. It was on-time. And there were no weather issues in Honolulu, or in Houston or anywhere in between-that's what the pilot said and sure enough, it was smooth sailing the whole way. We arrived a few minutes ahead of schedule. So, the whole question of whether this couple needed any special treatment is in doubt. But my question to you is this: Why is an FA upgrading passengers? And why not move a couple of elites from elite seating to FC and seat the needy couple in the vacated elite seats? Keep in mind that elite seating on that 767 is just forward of the Y door, making egress quick. In short: what good is an upgrade priority system if the FA's disregard any attempt to respect it? Yes, I know there are (officially) no elite upgrades to or from Hawaii-but evidently the FA's have started an upgrade-by-whim program of their own. It's wrong. Just thought you should know what's going on.

Dear Mr. RNE,

Thank you for your e-mail correspondence regarding your most recent flight on January 16, 2006 from Honolulu to Houston. I can imagine your frustration and disappointment that the flight attendant did not request for elite customers to upgrade allowing the other passengers to seat closer in the coach cabin.

We appreciate you letting us know about the upgrade that was provided in our Business First cabin. Business First Class seating is a premiere product for Continental Airlines, and in order to maintain its integrity, its inventory is carefully managed.

To ensure that your concerns do not go unnoticed, I have registered your concerns in a corporate report that is reviewed by our In-flight Management staff. Continental Airlines looks forward to continuing to merit both your business and your loyalty.

Mr. RNE, thank you for your interest in our company, and for choosing Continental to meet your travel needs.

Kind Regards,

Customer Care Manager
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:32 pm

Ridiculous. If elites are not requesting upgrades through the use of miles + copay then end of story. CO can upgrade anyone it wants to business class. It is of no concern to you.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
There's a whole other thread with the details I believe. Can someone link to it?

Basically, it's a big no no for FA's to do on-board upgrades on CO.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Colin
Ridiculous. If elites are not requesting upgrades through the use of miles + copay then end of story. CO can upgrade anyone it wants to business class. It is of no concern to you.
Not ridiculous at all

1) CO's own policy forbids cabin crew members from upgrading any customer - especially to BF. If this is a violation without a valid reason, the crewmember in question should get additional training

2) It IS a concern of the OP and all CO customers if program rules are not being followed by staff. We have to follow the rules, therefore CO should too
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:38 pm

BS. CO has never made a promise to CO Elites that they will never ever give any benefit/favor/exception to non-elite unless every elite has received the same.

CO's promise is that it will follow the rules of the OnePass Elite program. That program gives no right to freebie upgrades to businesfirst.

The OP has no right to businessfirst.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
BS. CO has never made a promise to CO Elites that they will never ever give any benefit/favor/exception to non-elite unless every elite has received the same.

CO's promise is that it will follow the rules of the OnePass Elite program. That program gives no right to freebie upgrades to businesfirst.

The OP has no right to businessfirst.
Perhaps you need to read the original thread. The OP never claimed a right to BF or even expected to be seated there.

This complaint stemmed from a flight attendant moving two non elite customers to BF before departure while claiming they needed to sit near the door to make a tight connection.

That act was a violation of policy...CO's policy...not the OP's. The OP is within his rights to advise CO of the violation so they can investigate the particulars. I would have done the same.

I was on a flight where the gate agent moved two non elites to FC while myself and another customer, next in line on the upgrade list, were ignored. I reported it here, it was taken up with HQ, and the matter was investigated and resolved. I see no reason why the OP is not entitled to do the same.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I was on a flight where the gate agent moved two non elites to FC while myself and another customer, next in line on the upgrade list, were ignored. I reported it here, it was taken up with HQ, and the matter was investigated and resolved. I see no reason why the OP is not entitled to do the same.
You lost an upgrade due to the violation of the rules of the OnePass program. The OP did not. Duh!

The OP has no entitlement to a businessfirst seat on a flight from HNL. Why should he care whether someone else is fortunate enough to score/negotiate/flirt his way into an upgrade? The OP is not harmed.

Plus, I dispute the assumption that a flight purser has zero discretion in offering an onboard upgrade.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
The OP has no entitlement to a businessfirst seat on a flight from HNL. Why should he care whether someone else is fortunate enough to score/negotiate/flirt his way into an upgrade? The OP is not harmed.
I don't think that the OP asked for any sort of compensation, or said that he was entitled to the seat. He was simply pointing out to CO that something occurred on his flight, which probably shouldn't have. In all fairness, doesn't it make more sense that a frequent flyer (read: frequent spender) of an airline should get the greater benefit. As RNE stated, it would have been quicker for this couple to exit from seats in the mini section. I am in no way saying that CO should start EUA for HI if they are trying to “maintain the integrity” of BF…but if this is the case, then they should “maintain the integrity” of BF, and make sure the FA’s know this.

dan
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:04 pm

You lost an upgrade due to the violation of the rules of the OnePass program. The OP did not. Duh!

Plus, I dispute the assumption that a flight purser has zero discretion in offering an onboard upgrade.
1) I lost an upgrade due to a violation of the rules of the Onepass program? That sounds like an accusation...care to back it up with evidence please?

2) The OP has no "entitlement" to the upgrade...neither did the non-elite who got it, nor was the flight attendant entitled to award it - per CO policy which has been posted here ad nauseum by CO insiders. The FA awarding an upgrade to a non elite who was not entitled to receive it should be investigated by HQ to determine if there was a violation of company policy. If there was not, then end of story, and I am sure the OP would be satisfied. If there was, the FA is due some additional training to ensure it does not happen again.

CO has stated in the past they are quite happy seeing BF seats go empty if no one buys them or achieves a paid upgrade - so the seats in question should have remained empty. If an OP-UP was required for a particular reason, the only person authorized to do that was the Concierge at the gate.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Perhaps you need to read the original thread.
clearly this should not be a new thread. the response of customer care should have been posted in the original thread.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:54 pm

The FA awarding an upgrade to a non elite who was not entitled to receive it should be investigated by HQ to determine if there was a violation of company policy. If there was not, then end of story, and I am sure the OP would be satisfied. If there was, the FA is due some additional training to ensure it does not happen again.
Why does it concern you? Why do you care? You are disinterested party with no standing in the matter. Case dismissed.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:06 am

Why does it concern you? Why do you care? You are disinterested party with no standing in the matter. Case dismissed.
This thread has gone downhill faster than Bode Miller after a keg party, and it will probably be closed by morning, however I am still owed an explanation regarding the accusation that I violated the rules of the Onepass program...or a retraction thereof. I have never violated the rules of the Onepass program....and such an accusation is a fairly serious issue to me.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
This thread has gone downhill faster than Bode Miller after a keg party, and it will probably be closed by morning, however I am still owed an explanation regarding the accusation that I violated the rules of the Onepass program...or a retraction thereof. I have never violated the rules of the Onepass program....and such an accusation is a fairly serious issue to me.
I understood him to be saying that the GA (not you) had violated the rules of the Onepass program.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
FT exists for us to discuss subjects of interest to us and to learn. Your attempt to control & terminate the discussion is offensive.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 3:48 am

"Case dismissed" is an apt analogy to a US legal proceeding where the judge dismisses the matter because one party lacks "standing" to sue. The original poster in this matter has no standing. He lost nothing. No promise to him was violated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.