FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   IAH-HNL BF Comments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/521119-iah-hnl-bf-comments.html)

freeupgrade Jan 31, 2006 10:04 am

IAH-HNL BF Comments

Hi All,

Have not flown IAH-HNL nonstop in years and years, and I know from reading the boards that this service has really deteriorated re: menu.

However, we are seriously considering splurging for full-fare BF tickets (well, D class anyway).

If someone has flown this recently, can you please comment on the following for so-called BF (please be sure to include your flight # and approximate month flown):

1. Hawaiian Music videos during boarding (Yes/No)
2. Appetizer served separatley from salad (Yes/No)
3. Quality/size of salad and bread (were refills offered on bread)
4. Entree choices (#/size/, quality)
5. Dessert Types (Are ice cream sundaes offered)?
6. Quality and description of pre-arrival snack into HNL
7. Champagne/Mimosa availability - during boarding and during the flight?
8. FA attitude/service quality
9. Pre-arrival HNL video (Yes/No) - I loved this the last time... :)
10. Any other suggestions (i.e. best seat for arrival approach into HNL).

Aloha and Mahalo.... :) :) :)

CODC10 Jan 31, 2006 10:39 am

It hasn't <i>really</i> deteriorated across the board, certain aspects have been adjusted and reduced, e.g. the red-eye meal service.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Same as regular BusinessFirst
4. Same as transcontinental First
5. ice cream sundaes offered, no cobbler or fruit/cheese service
6. Single-tray refreshment service prior to arrival, in the past it has been a pizza, hot sandwich, or bowl of pasta. Served with fruit plate and box of chocolates.
7. Champagne and mimosas are available
8. First rate
9. Yes
10. Depends on your approach

Easily the best product available to the Islands despite perceived cutbacks.

martinplas Jan 31, 2006 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Hi All,

Have not flown IAH-HNL nonstop in years and years, and I know from reading the boards that this service has really deteriorated re: menu.

However, we are seriously considering splurging for full-fare BF tickets (well, D class anyway).

If someone has flown this recently, can you please comment on the following for so-called BF (please be sure to include your flight # and approximate month flown):CO FL 1 Nov.17 2005
CO FL 72 HNL IAH Nov.23 2005

NO

Yes However please be advised that any flight leaving HNL ah after 745 PM will only have a snack meal in BF (Pita bread with cheese and chicken) and not a full coarse BF meal .Return on CO FL# 2 for full meal service
did have salad ,no cheese , did have gread 1 pass
see above
not on 72
fruit plate or cereal
no

always has been good for me on CO
yes
I always like either side of row 1 because no ones head will come down over your feet. The single middle seat in row one can be a problem if you sit there as folks will walk over you to get to an empty lavatory.Any other middle seat is good if you are single as you dont have anyone to crawl over you or you them

slippahs Jan 31, 2006 1:26 pm

Flights out of HNL do not have the Hawaiian music/video playing. It makes both Hawaii residents and visitors depressed that they're leaving the islands. You'll have the standard "Welcome" in the 50 languages playing. Flights to HNL/OGG DO have the Hawaiian music/video playing. It's a very nice touch by CO that other airlines could learn to do.

You have full meal service on all flights to HNL from IAH/EWR/LAX. On the return, only flights that depart prior to 7:30 p.m. will receive the full meal service treatment. Menus are available online and a quick search will reveal what will be available for your flight, so long as it departs prior to the full-meal cut off.

This is a little snipet of my comments for which side to sit on when arriving into HNL:

Originally Posted by slippahs
Which Side to Sit on When Landing into HNL?

It really depends on the winds landing into HNL. If there are Kona winds, you'll make your landing past Diamond Head, Waikīkī and right into HNL from the Southern side of the state, keeping an FAA regulated 1 mile distance from land. This is actually a rarer event, but if it does happen, anything on the RIGHT side of the plane will give you amazing views of Diamond Head, Waikīkī and Downtown Honolulu. This is a very spectacular landing into HNL.

The more common landing pattern is with trade winds. The plane will cut across O‘ahu diagonally from some point out at Kāne‘ohe/Kailua towards the South shore where Honolulu is, go out towards Kapolei about 1/2 mile from land and then make a 180 for the final approach. It's during this final approach that you'll have stunning views of the Ko‘olau Mountain range, Pearl Harbor, Arizona Memorial, etc. If the plane has this landing pattern, your best bet is to sit on the LEFT side of the plane (e.g., seat A on the plane) so you can see these attractions from the plane.

However, there's no way of knowing which landing pattern is being used at HNL unless you check the weather report for Honolulu on the day of your travel (even then, there's no guarantee).

Just remember: Southerly/Kona Winds: RIGHT side of the plane
Northerly/Trade Winds: LEFT side of the plane

FWIW, those Southerly trade winds usually occur more frequently in the Winter. 95% of the time, you're landing will following the Northerly/Trade wind landing pattern.

west_end_NYC Jan 31, 2006 2:03 pm

[QUOTE=slippahs]Flights out of HNL do not have the Hawaiian music/video playing. It makes both Hawaii residents and visitors depressed that they're leaving the islands.

I just returned last week on CO 14 HNL-EWR. For this flight they did actually play the Hawaiian music/video during pre-boarding. I remember specifically making the comment to my wife that it was too depressing to hear this as we were departing home to NYC.

slippahs Jan 31, 2006 4:24 pm

[QUOTE=west_end_NYC]

Flights out of HNL do not have the Hawaiian music/video playing. It makes both Hawaii residents and visitors depressed that they're leaving the islands.

I just returned last week on CO 14 HNL-EWR. For this flight they did actually play the Hawaiian music/video during pre-boarding. I remember specifically making the comment to my wife that it was too depressing to hear this as we were departing home to NYC.

Interesting! That's the first time I've ever heard that happening--though I too would agree that it's too depressing....

RxCapt Jan 31, 2006 9:39 pm

On the return, only flights that depart prior to 7:30 p.m. will receive the full meal service treatment.

What meal service can be expected for flight 72 since it departs at 10:15? I read on a previous search that they seem to only serve sandwiches since it is not a full meal service but what about appetizers/salads and sundaes?

Also, are mai-tais available on these flights?

slippahs Jan 31, 2006 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by RxCapt
What meal service can be expected for flight 72 since it departs at 10:15? I read on a previous search that they seem to only serve sandwiches since it is not a full meal service but what about appetizers/salads and sundaes?

Also, are mai-tais available on these flights?

You'll probably end up receiving this (and only this) for dinner (and a breakfast upon arrival):
http://slippahs.smugmug.com/gallery/1161898/1/46183158
(Please do not duplicate photos)

JerseyCityS Jan 31, 2006 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Hi All,

If someone has flown this recently, can you please comment on the following for so-called BF (please be sure to include your flight # and approximate month flown):

I'm telling you...if there is no Hawian music, I'm not going. And to mention - the appetizer not seperate, oh my god. If the salad isn't big, no way. Are people with the cash to actually afford these flights, REALLY that concerned about these things? People need a new life. Hey, if my SNACK on pre-arrival isn't top notch, i'm not paying for BF. If you actually PAY money for BF, and you are worried about the prearrival "snack", you are nuts.

freeupgrade Feb 1, 2006 12:03 am

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I'm telling you...if there is no Hawian music, I'm not going. And to mention - the appetizer not seperate, oh my god. If the salad isn't big, no way. Are people with the cash to actually afford these flights, REALLY that concerned about these things? People need a new life. Hey, if my SNACK on pre-arrival isn't top notch, i'm not paying for BF. If you actually PAY money for BF, and you are worried about the prearrival "snack", you are nuts.

Excuse me, however with all due respect, I find your sarcastic (both content and tone) response really uncalled for. Just for the record, I am not "worried" about anything - and for the record, you don't even know me.

sushibear Feb 1, 2006 2:15 am

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS

How is this post at all helpful?

vincom Feb 1, 2006 7:53 am

I think some of you kids need a time out.

-Vincent

bocastephen Feb 1, 2006 8:31 am

I also had the Hawaiian music video playing on my return flight to EWR. I liked it so much, I tried to get a copy, going up the food chain far enough to get in contact with the company that produced it - alas, no luck...they will neither sell the video or the soundtrack.

Although the meal is now a 'snack'+sundae, quite honestly 9pm is abit late for a full dinner...although I think they should offer it as a pre-reserved choice for those customers who were planning to eat a full meal on board. Maybe do the full meal "executive option" style (all at once) so the service is uniform for all customers.

Another idea: go to the PClub (the best club in the system with the best staff you will find anywhere) and have a feast of Hawaiian pineapple before your flight. Or, abit earlier in the afternoon, find a good Hawaiian plate lunch and you won't be hungry until noon...the next day :)

vincom Feb 1, 2006 8:56 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Another idea: go to the PClub (the best club in the system with the best staff you will find anywhere) and have a feast of Hawaiian pineapple before your flight.

MMMMM I love the fresh pineapple they always have. LOVE IT!

-Vincent

bocastephen Feb 1, 2006 9:01 am

Originally Posted by vincom
MMMMM I love the fresh pineapple they always have. LOVE IT!

-Vincent

After so many years of eating Hawaiian sweet pineapple, I wont go near the processed and gassed crap they import to my area from Central America. I still don't understand why someone won't export Hawaiian pineapple to the east coast :(