FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Cotinental called to bump me 3 weeks out (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/520620-cotinental-called-bump-me-3-weeks-out.html)

dc13 Jan 30, 2006 5:32 am

Cotinental called to bump me 3 weeks out

I am flying with my family from EWR to PBI for Presidents Week vacation on a paid K fare (departing friday 2/17 on flight 1554). I am Gold elite but no one else in the family has any elite status. Last night, I received a call from Continental offering me $200 travel certificate per person to fly to fly 36 hours later (sat 2/18 ). I told the rep that if he would put my entire family in first class, we'll go on any flight either a day earlier or later. He put my name on a list and said someone will get back to me.

Just found it odd that they called so far in advance to offer compensation for bumping. (This flight must be way oversold) Also I'm wondering how they decided who to call. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

dc

Watchful Jan 30, 2006 7:35 am

Looking at ITN class availability, all six EWR-PBI flights are sold out in all fare buckets.

Originally Posted by dc13
I am flying with my family from EWR to PBI for Presidents Week vacation on a paid K fare (departing friday 2/17 on flight 1554). I am Gold elite but no one else in the family has any elite status. Last night, I received a call from Continental offering me $200 travel certificate per person to fly to fly 36 hours later (sat 2/18 ). I told the rep that if he would put my entire family in first class, we'll go on any flight either a day earlier or later. He put my name on a list and said someone will get back to me.

Just found it odd that they called so far in advance to offer compensation for bumping. (This flight must be way oversold) Also I'm wondering how they decided who to call. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

dc

socrates Jan 30, 2006 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Watchful
Looking at ITN class availability, all six EWR-PBI flights are sold out in all fare buckets.

I do this flight enough throughout the year...this time of year it's extremely difficult to EUA, it's also a 50/50 shot at them asking for volunteers at the gate however it seems they might be alittle extreme at this point....

why not ask them to route you through ATL on DL 981 departing at 3:09p and arriving 5:09p

or through CLE, CO625 departs EWR 6:30 arrives CLE 8:18am connecting to CO 1893 departs CLE 9:30a arrives PBI 12:14p

I'd still ask for the compensation to though

Tummy Jan 30, 2006 1:16 pm

Happened to me a while ago from IAH-EWR. I was on a full fare Y ticket and they only offered $200, which I took since I was planning on changing my flight anyways.

Deltahater Jan 30, 2006 1:19 pm

I don't know how they select who they call, but from a business perspective it makes sense to do so. With today's yield management programs they can often tell 2-3 weeks out which flight is full.

I applaude CO for doing so

socrates Jan 30, 2006 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I don't know how they select who they call, but from a business perspective it makes sense to do so. With today's yield management programs they can often tell 2-3 weeks out which flight is full.

I applaude CO for doing so

I agree, but why they aren't offering the stop over flights I've listed below is curious as they were showing availability as of this morning

Bernoulli 777 Jan 30, 2006 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by dc13

dc

Probably had a change of equipment due to recently scheduled maintenance.

Lucky you! Offer to go in to FLL or nearby locations. Take the money & run!!

kdinino Jan 31, 2006 1:50 pm

I would take the $200 certs and I like your suggestion to fly in F on a later flight.

I would not however take a connecting flight. Why should you? You paid for a non-stop, so perhaps they can rebook you on CO or on B6. Not sure they would do it on B6, but no chance I would take DL through ATL or go through CLE on CO. I would think FLL would be a decent option as well. At least you have some advance notice.

socrates Jan 31, 2006 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by kdinino
I would take the $200 certs and I like your suggestion to fly in F on a later flight.

I would not however take a connecting flight. Why should you? You paid for a non-stop, so perhaps they can rebook you on CO or on B6. Not sure they would do it on B6, but no chance I would take DL through ATL or go through CLE on CO. I would think FLL would be a decent option as well. At least you have some advance notice.

Yes he booked ns but if they pay him for the additional stop then why not, CLE isn't that bad, small airport-2 concourses, only 1 with mainline jets so it'll be an easy connection....i agree about connecting via ATL-yuck!

craz Jan 31, 2006 6:06 pm

Hey why not go for broke, Id rather connect via IAH then CLE. that way its 2x on the miles and EQMs earned.