Strategies to go from Newark to Bahamas

Old Jan 29, 06, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Strategies to go from Newark to Bahamas

My in-laws are springing for a week's stay at Atlantis in the Bahamas sometime around mid-June to mid-July (the exact week is still open). This would be for 4 adults and 2 kids over 2 yrs old.

I thought it would be a nice gesture to spring for at least some of the airfare by cashing in Onepass miles. I currently have around 600,000 miles available at this moment. Logging on to the website as a plat (to maximize award availablity), I see no standard rewards at all in that time range, either economy or 1st. Of course, "Easypass rewards may be available"
...so on a whim, I was able to book 6 coach seats for my desired week (Jul 17-23) for a total of 420,000 miles at a ticket value of around $2700 if paid in cash. As I was saving these miles to put toward a set of 4 bizfirst seats to somewhere like Tahiti in the future, there's no way I'd want to waste so many miles on a silly little 3 hour flight to Nassau.

What would you do? I was thinking of using miles to get the in-laws themselves 1st class seats, but even that will cost 240k miles for a pair of easypass awards. I'd like to reciprocate in some way, but this easypass will kill me. Given the shifting routes I fly for work, I can't see building up the miles again in the future.
Old Jan 29, 06, 10:22 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Gold - Hertz PC - BW Diamond - IHG Plat
Hurricane Season in the Bahamas..........Nice
Old Jan 29, 06, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Junkie
Hurricane Season in the Bahamas..........Nice
Possible, but unlikely that soon in the season.

But thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
Old Jan 29, 06, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
I don't know if a connection would be a reasonable option for you. When I flew down to Nassau around Thanksgiving for a wedding, by the time I booked, the direct flights were full, so we ended up with a connection through FLL. Looking at some options through FL might give you some better availability (or low enough prices to make cash seem like a better option). As an added bonus for me, the view from the Beech 1600 was quite nice and was over the very bits of the trip I wanted to see. OTOH, the long delay at FLL due to weather wasn't as much fun.
Old Jan 29, 06, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
It is hard to believe that there is no reward seats on the couple dozen of B1900 that come to NAS from South Florida every day. But I guess it is CO after all.

Have you checked with routings on DL or NW?

Have you considered JetBlue or Delta for paid tickets.

Delta is selling JFK-NAS tickets for July for just over $220 all in, hardly seems worth all those miles, even for six people. Prices are this low for July, because it is the off season, as the temps and esp the humidity are unbearable down here.
Old Jan 29, 06, 2:20 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Pref Sel
I've tried to get award tickets into the Bahamas in July for several years running with no luck (although I was gold or silver in previous years but I doubt that would make a difference). My family has been travelling to the Bahamas in July for the last 10 years or so and it is hot but no hotter than TX - where we are from. The trick is to stay near (and in) the water! I have been able to snag an award ticket with American miles in the past but not CO. I usually fly into Georgetown in the Exumas (which I highly recommend) but have searched for reward seats into either Nassau or Georgetown and never gotten it. This year I could have claimed an award into FLL and then purchased the Bahamas leg but it wasn't worth it - I just bought the tickets since they weren't that expensive anyway. Instead I'm using miles to go to Europe this summer where I was able to get seats on partner airlines.

As for hurricanes, we are on a sailboat so we pay attention to the weather! In previous years we have have had an occasional tropical storm to deal with in July but nothing too bad. If things continue like they were this last year though (in terms of the number and size of storms), all bets are off - we may back the trip into May or June.
Old Jan 29, 06, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Frankly, I would not use that many miles for an award ticket. Prices for a paid ticket are not that high (as pointed out by another poster) and the flight is not really that long. I would just pay cash. Interestingly, I am flying from PHX to NAS in April and am paying less than $400. I looked for reward seats on Onepass, but could not find any from TUS (where I live) or from PHX. The fares from Tucson were all greater than $650 which was high but fortunately I found a cheaper fare from Phoenix.
Old Jan 30, 06, 10:48 am

Programs: CO Platinum HH Diamond SWA Hertz Gold
Definately try DL for their Supersaver awards from EWR. I was able to get 3 of them for late July in 2004 on the same route with CO miles. You'll have to go through ATL, but well worth the difference in miles. It may still be a little early for the award availability, so keep trying. Think I booked them in March.

Last edited by sntraveler; Jan 30, 06 at 3:46 pm
Old Jan 30, 06, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas.

How does one book Delta supersaver? Would it be enough to call the Onepass service center?
Old Jan 31, 06, 5:18 pm

You'll book through the OP Service Center. However, to check availability go to DL's website and from the first screen in the book a ticket section click skymiles award. Search here. You'll need the supersaver which is their standard award. CO doesn't have a contract to do their equivalent of Easy Pass. It's probably a little early to obtain and did take some daily watching of the flights. I may have had to watch flights from both EWR-ATL and then ATL-NAS. I may have booked one that didn't show as the typical routing. Once you see it available then call OP.
Old Jan 31, 06, 5:38 pm

I just tried a search for your dates. Use the advanced options with EWR-ATL morning, ATL-NAS 1pm then NAS-EWR return. Would be a 2 1/2 hr layover, but with the size of ATL it isn't that long. The return isn't too great on the 23rd, but an option exists. There is a better return on 7/25. Play around with the times and dates. Saw a great one for 7/18-7/25. It is available for 6 passengers w/total of 180,000 miles. So if your flexible you should be able to work it out and enjoy the Altantis! Don't want you to blow miles if your looking to go to Tahiti! Did that one for our honeymoon and well worth the efforts to get there! Good Luck!

Here's the details of the one, but others did exist.
1 Delta 438 Coach EWR 6:00am
18 Jul 2006 ATL 8:36am
18 Jul 2006 0 SkySaver
2 Delta 425 Coach ATL 10:06am
18 Jul 2006 NAS 12:12pm
18 Jul 2006 0 SkySaver
3 Delta 1269 Coach NAS 4:30pm
25 Jul 2006 ATL 6:53pm
25 Jul 2006 0 SkySaver
Delta 1520 Coach ATL 10:40pm
25 Jul 2006 EWR 12:47am
26 Jul 2006 0