Tickets bought with bump vouchers = no miles ?

Old Jan 27, 06, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Question Tickets bought with bump vouchers = no miles ?

Hello all,

I read yesterday in a magazine that tickets bought with vouchers do not give miles. Is that so ?

UTA
Old Jan 27, 06, 1:20 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Tickets purchased with a voucher that is for a specific dollar amount is as good as cash and therefore earns miles.

Tickets purchased with a voucher that is for a specific type of ticket (e.g., free ticket to anywhere in the 48 continental U.S.) is treated like an award ticket and earns no miles (and is also subject to the same terms and conditions of an award ticket, specifically booking class).
Old Jan 27, 06, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Many thanks for the quick reply. So it appears my 500$ voucher shall (les eaux) give me miles after all ! Yayers ! :-)
Old Jan 27, 06, 6:02 am

Getting miles may be good, but getting bumped AGAIN when paying with vouchers is even better!
Old Jan 27, 06, 6:04 am

Programs: Delta Plat; UA 1MM (former 1K)
Originally Posted by BumpMe!
Getting miles may be good, but getting bumped AGAIN when paying with vouchers is even better!
Ahh yes, my introduction to CO was a game of People Express pinball that just kept going... (CO accepted the vouchers and let the game continue.)
Old Jan 27, 06, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Club Plat
Unfortunetly you can only use the voucher for flights.
Back when I flew Delta I played the bump game quite frequently. On one Friday heading home I got bumped 3 times and received a total of 1400 Delta Dollars. At the time I wasn't a Plat and used some of them to buy CRC membership, hehehe. They used to even give you back change in DD as well. I played the game multiple times and had enough DD to buy first class for me and my wife and 3 coach tickets for my kids to SJU. Ah, those were the days.
Old Jan 27, 06, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh
I read yesterday in a magazine
The accuracy rate of the media when reporting on airline-related items is amazlingly low.
Old Jan 27, 06, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by channa
The accuracy rate of the media when reporting on airline-related items is amazlingly low.
Like the accuracy rate of airline employees when calling and asking a question about their rules...
Old Feb 3, 06, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Like the accuracy rate of airline employees when calling and asking a question about their rules...
So, very very true.
Old Feb 3, 06, 9:42 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by BumpMe!
Reminds me of two instances.

First - used miles a couple of years ago to fly to Calgary with NW. On the return I got bumped and accepted a voucher for a free ticket to anywhere within North America. Used it to fly to Cancun. On the way to Cancun I got bumped in MSP and got another voucher for a free flight. Used that to go to Alaska. "Buy none, get three free."

Then returning from the DO last week on NW they asked for 8 volunteers. I was the first. Got rerouted via MEM to MSP and just after the GA priinted the boarding passes he found out 10 pax from CO were going to miss their connection in IAH so he didn't need any volunteers after all. I said, "fine, just give me my exit row boarding pass back." He checked and my seat was already re-assigned. He hesitated then said he could give me a different seat on that non-stop flight to MSP (probably middle seat in a very crowded economy class) or he could leave me routed via MEM and give me the $300 voucher. Guess what I took? Since I had a connecting flight in MSP I still made the same connecting flight and have the $300 voucher for future use.
Old Feb 3, 06, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Sure makes for a fun game when you have extra time and you hear the "Do to an oversold flight.................." announcement!
Old Feb 3, 06, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti
...he didn't need any volunteers after all. I said, "fine, just give me my exit row boarding pass back." He checked and my seat was already re-assigned. He hesitated then said he could give me a different seat on that non-stop flight to MSP (probably middle seat in a very crowded economy class) or he could leave me routed via MEM and give me the $300 voucher. Guess what I took? Since I had a connecting flight in MSP I still made the same connecting flight and have the $300 voucher for future use.
Consider yourself lucky. The GA could probably have gotten in trouble for paying out the VDB compensation when it was no longer necessary. And further, when you volunteer in an oversold situation, you risk losing your seat assigments if they don't need your space, it's fairly common knowledge. Trade-off for all that free $ when you do in fact get the bump, I guess.
Old Feb 3, 06, 10:00 am

Unless you frequently travel on routes that have good award availability and typically $400+ fares, it's generally a much better idea to take a $300 bump voucher than a "free ticket" bump voucher for two reasons:
  1. The ticket you buy with the $300 bump voucher will earn miles; the "free ticket" won't.
  2. You can use the $300 toward any ticket on the airline issuing the voucher. The "free ticket" can usually only be used if there is standard award availability, making it far more restrictive.
Old Feb 3, 06, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ive had the experience where after I signed up as a Vol , that they would fill up the plane and not use any of the seats that were from the people who did Vol until the very end. That way if they didnt need any of the Vols all you had to contend with was having your Carry-ons ' Gate Checked'.

So in most cases you can lose out 2 ways if they do Not need your seat. 1- your previous assigned seat & 2- 99% that your carry-on will be Gate-Checked.

The Only way to prevent either from occuring is to either after about 1/2 the peopel have boarded to recheck if they will need your seat or to board and tell 'em that you'll get off if they need your seat.
Old Feb 3, 06, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ijgordon
And further, when you volunteer in an oversold situation, you risk losing your seat assigments if they don't need your space, it's fairly common knowledge.
This is not correct. In fact, CO's documentation states that you do not give up your assigned seat unless they use you. Barring a mistake by the agent, they usually hold your seat up until the last possible minute (or until they're absolutely sure).

Volunteers help the airline. It wouldn't make sense to shaft them by moving their seats.

Search this Thread