Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Does CO interline with Philippine Airlines (PR)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I'm looking to get from Palau (ROR) to SGN. I know that CO flies every now and then to MNL, which is actually relatively on the way to SGN on the day we want to go. My issue is that the layover in MNL is only 2 hours. I'm worried that I won't be able to clear customs, pick up my luggage, and re-check quickly enough to make the second flight. And they only fly it once daily, so missing it would truly suck.

Does anyone know if this is doable (or have any other suggestions on routings to get from ROR-SGN)?

Thanks,
S.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:07 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
According to the Sabre reservation system, CO and PR have interline agreements.

CO-005 CONTINENTAL AIRLINES/CONTINENTAL AIRLINES

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
PR-079 PHILIPPINE AIR LINES/PHILIPPINE AIR LINES

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
PR

However based on past experience, you might need to be a bit emphatic but polite at check-in to be sure they check the luggage all the way through.

Other options to SGN are via TPE or ICN.

John
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Just returned from SGN via PR SGN-MNL, CO to IAH.
Outbound is not a problem. CO will check your baggage through.
But agents in SGN will not check your luggage through unless your layover is very short.

If you fly PR598 SGN-MNL arriving 19:10 you'll likely have no problem.
If you fly the morning PR flight to MNL you may have to drag your baggage over to T1.

You're dealing w/2 monsters here:
MNL security procedures & SGN weirdness.

The last yr or so SGN has been rigorously imposing a 7.2k limit on carry bag weight. My carry bag weigh 5k *empty*. My last 3 flights out of SGN I've had to get the airline agent involved. SQ's agent got my bag on. PR & BR were no help whatsoever. I had to empty my carryon into my checked luggage (couldn't check my carryon as I already had 2 bags checked!)
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
In addition to ICN and TPE, you can connect through SIN, BKK, KUL and HKG, which IMO are all better airports than MNL.

As for the routings, flying through HKG would yield the most FF miles, as CO Mike has a flight from GUM to HKG (you would have to connect through GUM to reach MNL as well). From HKG, you can take either UA or VN (CX codeshares with VN) to SGN.

Last edited by 764toHI; Jan 27, 2006 at 11:32 am
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 764toHI
In addition to ICN and TPE, you can connect through SIN, BKK, KUL and HKG, which IMO are all better airports than MNL.

As for the routings, flying through HKG would yield the most FF miles, as CO Mike has a flight from GUM to HKG (you would have to connect through GUM to reach MNL as well). From HKG, you can take either UA or VN (CX codeshares with VN) to SGN.
CO Mike has a once weekly N/S from ROR-MNL. And since CO Mike is the only airline serving ROR, and MNL is pretty much on the way from ROR to SGN, I was choosing the most direct routing. If I have to go back via GUM and then connect somewhere else then the timing is a pain. And CO only flies the GUM-HKG filghts on Mondays and Fridays, and I want to go mid-week. Such is the price I pay for a week in the middle of nowhere (ROR), I guess.

S.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
CO Mike has a once weekly N/S from ROR-MNL.

. . . .

Such is the price I pay for a week in the middle of nowhere (ROR), I guess.
You are spending it in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, especially if you dive.

The week I spend in Palau in November 1983 was one of the best weeks of my life (other than getting married, of course).
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:11 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
One consideration for connecting in MNL is that CO and PR are in different terminals (Terminal 1 and 2, respectively). It's been awhile since I've arrived at Terminal 1 but at one point, PR had a transfer desk prior to immigration and customs at Terminal 1.

I have not transited in MNL to a third country. I'm not sure if they'll have you go through customs and immigration.

Good luck and have fun!
^
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by airlineaddict
One consideration for connecting in MNL is that CO and PR are in different terminals (Terminal 1 and 2, respectively). It's been awhile since I've arrived at Terminal 1 but at one point, PR had a transfer desk prior to immigration and customs at Terminal 1.

I have not transited in MNL to a third country. I'm not sure if they'll have you go through customs and immigration.

Good luck and have fun!
^
As mentioned they are in different terminals, and if I am not mistaken, you need to clear customs and immigration then get a cab and transfer to the PAL terminal and depending on the time that you arrive traffic is a nightmare in MNL.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonah1
As mentioned they are in different terminals, and if I am not mistaken, you need to clear customs and immigration then get a cab and transfer to the PAL terminal and depending on the time that you arrive traffic is a nightmare in MNL.
I would have a 2 hour layover at 11am. Is that enough time, assuming that I can get CO to interline the bags and issue me a BP when I check in for the original flight in ROR?
Old Feb 1, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Spoke to an agent at PR. Minimum connection time is 3 hours between CO and PR in MNL, international to international. You will have to go through arrival customs and immigration at Terminal 1 and go through departure immigration when you get to Terminal 2.

With that said, if you're not checking any baggage in, it is doable, but it will be very tight. The ride from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 could vary from 10 minutes to 20 minutes depending on traffic.

Last edited by airlineaddict; Feb 22, 2006 at 8:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.